• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 Super L backhoe acting strange

mikeam1

I have a CAse 580 Backhoe and when I am digging with the backhoe, the backhoe will swing all by itself, My feet wont even be on the pedals. anyone ever have this problem or have any idea why this happens
Thanks, Mike mikeam11@verizon.net

smokey1

Occupation
Builder/Owner
You should find the problem before you use that machine again.. Very dangerous situation. Is it always in same direction? A loose link or bad valve Or the whole frame is loose at the valve body. good luck

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Is the hoe swinging with hydraulic pressure behind it? - it goes all the way to the stop on full swing?
Or is it just creeping depending if the machine is on a lean?
If it is moving with pressure, the pedals should feel a little sloppy & the end cap from the control spool may have screwed loose.
If all on the control bank is good - look at the slew cam under the top pin on the swing tower, the cam follower should always be in contact with the camplate & there should not be any flat spots on the roller.

Goose

Alrman the L series doesnt have the swing sequence valve like you are thinking from the K series. It could be the cap on the spool though or something broken or come apart in the centering spring if it is swing with some power behind it and not just creeping while on a side slope. Does it swing on it own in just one direction or both?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Alrman the L series doesnt have the swing sequence valve like you are thinking from the K series.

Sorry for the confusion - all the L's & M's here - being EURO sideshift - still have the sequence valve. I never realised the centremounts never had it till now .....

mikeam1

It will swing uner pressure and continue to swing until you stop all hydraulic functions. I am going to get into it next week and was looking for a direction to go. I was hoping someone else had this same problem.

bowen

Occupation
Electrical Panel Builder
It will swing uner pressure and continue to swing until you stop all hydraulic functions. I am going to get into it next week and was looking for a direction to go. I was hoping someone else had this same problem.

Wow, this problem sounds POWERFUL dangerous to me.
Can you even fight the controls to make it change direction when it does this to regain control?

Unless a stick or something is screwing with the linkage underneath it seems to me it would have to be in the valve and this is above my pay grade.
Does it always take off to one side?

The way you describe it, the swing will not go bonkers like when driving down the road, but rather only when you are using the other functions to dig.

Still scary to me. Be careful where you park it.:slomo