• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 Super K trans drain plug location

farmerjim

Maybe this has been discussed in a previous thread but I couldn’t find anything on it. ive got an old 580 Super K and we think that lower parts of it went under water in a recent flood. The reason we suspect this is that when we check the transmission fluid, the level is way too high and it looks kinda milky. So we suspect some water may have entered the trans housing. I’m a complete novice so apologies for the question but where can I find the drain plug for the transmission? I’ve got a service manual and thought I’d figured it out but it did not look like the photo in the manual once I went under to have a look.
There is some kind of “plug” on the right side of the housing but it doesn’t look like it’s removable. Any advice would be most welcome.

upload_2018-6-25_9-55-8.jpeg

upload_2018-6-25_9-55-37.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-25_9-54-36.jpeg
    upload_2018-6-25_9-54-36.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
The plug you have marked is indeed the drain plug. 8mm allen key from memory...... but don't trust that..... :rolleyes:
There is a large screen on the other side where the 90deg tube is screwed into the housing.
It would be a good idea to remove that & give it a clean also while the oil is out.

farmerjim

Thanks @airman! It was indeed an 8mm Allen key. We got the transaxle gear box completely drained and as suspected, there was some water mixed with the transaxle fluid. Now we’re refilling it with transaxle fluid and according to the manual we should use MS 1317 SAE 80W-140

Problem is we don’t quite have enough of it (20 litres needed) so I’m hoping for some advice on whether or not it would be safe to use one or both of some other fluids we have lying around to top it up. We have one labelled Case Hytran MS 1209 (which I believe is the one used for the Power Shuttle Transmission.

The other one is a Kixx Geartec GL-5 80W-90 - Multipurpose Gear Oil

So does anyone know if we can use one or both of these top top up the transaxle fluid?

farmerjim

Thanks airman but I’m a little confused. The manual tells me to use MS 1317 for the four speed transaxle 20 litres. Not Hy Trans Ultra 1209 (but I actually do have 20 litres of this one lying around). Should I ignore the manual and use the Hy Trans Ultra instead? upload_2018-7-24_22-3-4.jpeg

alrman

Occupation
You don't seem to have the correct manual for your serial number machine.

With 580K's - at JJG 200000+ a different transaxle was used - as per your pictures. (Case called these Phase 3)
Pre JJG 20000 you use MS1317 transaxle fluid - which is a special blend oil to suit wet brakes - it is not 85w/140.

By the looks of your avatar picture, you actually have a JJH ****** serial number.

Also, to refill your transaxle you will need approx 55lt of Hy Trans Ultra MS 1209 oil - bit different to 18.9lt.....

farmerjim

Thanks airman. Don’t pay too much attention to my avatar pic. Just a stock pic off the web. I will check to see if I can find the serial number on my actual rig. The plot thickens.

farmerjim

Alrighty then. Checked the serial number on my rig and it is indeed JHH series, The number is JJH0012349

I also located a more appropriate manual which confirms what you have been saying all along (surprise, surprise..)
However, this manual actually lists HY Trans Plus 1207 - we have a 20 litre container of Hy Trans Ultra MS 1209
I'm really hoping we can use this and only have to order another 20 litres of the 1209 as its expensive stuff. stuff
Do you know if the 1207 and 1209 are compatible? I'm hoping as ours says ULTRA 1209 it is a newer and better version of the PLUS 1207
CASE 580 SUPER K FLUIDS .jpg

alrman

Occupation
Hy-Trans Plus MS 1207 was indeed superseded by Hy-Trans Ultra MS 1209.
** NB if you use Hy-Trans MS 1209 - you will need to also use Case Axle Oil Additive part #402982A2 (x3off)
This is their brake anti squawk treatment.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Wow.. Alrman.. You saved him from himself.. probably saved him an expensive repair.. saved him an azzload of money from not wasting the "other" oil.. got him straightened out on his SN.. lead him to the right manual.!!! Your a REAL class act.!!! Thanks for being a crucial member of this site..

farmerjim

It's always good to hear a success story, and for someone who comes to HEF asking for help to get it and be truly thankful for it at the end of the day because it could save an expensive failure just by having a wrong manual. Caps off to our member from Oz....
Hear, hear!