• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 SL Series 2

Squire

airman, you are correct on the model number for that shuttle interlock timing relay. My dealer "Beauregard" in Bangor Maine had the same one # 347706A3 So glad that once installed she fired right up & went into gear. All is good right now just need to put a few hours on it. The service manager was such a wealth of information and more than helpful. This Dealership must treat the help really well for the service I experienced. Now all relays are a 45 Amp $120. on the timing relay & 25.00 on the others. Hope this helps others. Many thanks to all who helped me with this.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Gee, Beauregard, my last name, is located in VT & NH as well as Bangor. I find them unpleasant to deal with. I use Town Line in Plainfield NH. Wonderful to deal with, they've bailed me out on a number of occasions. No bargains to be had, but paying for a fix, or advice that avoids an expensive haul to get it fixed makes the cost worthwhile.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
You're Welcome @Squire !
Hope you told them that you found out what was wrong with the machine from a guy in Australia over the internet. :p
Would have been very interesting to see what could have happened if they sent a service tech out to you to diagnose your issue.
A 580SL would be considered prehistoric by a young whipper snapper.
I've seen transmissions get removed, new charge pumps & convertors get fitted to machines to repair this same problem.

The owners are always pretty ticked off with the other mechanic when I show up swap a relay & the machine drives like it should. :cool:

Squire

Know exactly what you are saying Nothing like paying someone to learn on your equipment. Been having same problem with my 7.3 diesel. What really got me going was the speedy reply given by gggraham. While not spot-on, it is directly related to the issue. Something made this Hi $$$ relay die ?
This site is great for a greenhorn like myself. Waiting for this CD Service Manual sure hope it addresses this issue.

Squire

Received my Service Manual and still having a difficult time locating things. Does not seem to break things down. Just provides basic information almost equal to the operator's manual maybe a tad better but was hoping for wiring schematics that sort of information.
A very basic question, where is the engine oil coolant filter and why won't my oil temp gauge register? Fuse is fine looking for ground or something. Oil sending unit maybe? All fuel and oil, Hydraulic filters have just been changed.

Tinkerer

I have never seen a Case service manual that doesn't have the electrical schematics in it.
The engine oil cooler isn't visually apparent because it is an integral part of the oil filter mount that is bolted to the block.
I'm not familiar with a 580SL oil temp gauge arrangement. So, I can't comment on it other than with the ignition key on, remove the wire from the sensor and ground it to see if it has any effect on the gauge reading.

Last edited:

Tinkerer

I don't know if it helps, but here is an image I copied on the internet. It is from the service manual.
Click on it to enlarge it
At the top of the image is the page description. --->Electrical Systems--->Harnesses and Connectors.
Look for that in your manual index.
All the electrical schematics should be next to it.
Do use Adobe Acrobat for a .pdf reader or some other .pdf software ?
slll.png