• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CASE 580 SE WOBBLE STICK CONVERSION help

Bill Smith

Occupation
Rental House Owner
I have a Case 580 SE ,and in the process of changing out the three lever foot swing to wobble/joy sticks
I have run both systems for sometime now , but my present machine is 3 lever foot swing and I prefer to run joy stick . I have a complete joy stick tower assembly for this machine . I have removed the old levers and taking out the tower but does not seem to be a lot of room to instal the rods to the spool valves .Is it possible to change this system over with out removal of the floor plate , as well can I get to the spools behind the metal glass plate:duh

sheepfoot

I seem to think back in the early 80's all we did was remove the skirt across the rear and loosen the tower, pull the cotter pins and pins, remove unit. Set up new tower leave knobs off install tower and linkage pins, adjust levers , install cover plastic adjust two lever arms, install knobs, reinstall rear skirt. I don't remember removing the floor. the cab units took a little more but not much.

Bill Smith

Occupation
Rental House Owner
sheepfoot When you say rear skirt do you mean the metal plate that covers the glass from the outside
Regards Bill

Goose

If I remember right when you do this conversion you also have to restack the control valve to get the correct valve inline with the linkage. There was also a couple of steel tubes that came in the kits.

Bill Smith

Occupation
Rental House Owner
Goose if I have to restack the control valve body I think I will pass .I just happen to have a joy stick tower for this machine Seems like a lot of work to do that
Regards Bill

sheepfoot

Goose your right, Bill if you didn't order a kit you will need some tubes and orings to unstack you main backhoe valve to put the sections in the right order, for hand swing, I had assumed that the stacking had already been done and your had a machine without a cab, since you were just wanting to hook up the tower. If the machine has a cab it takes more work to do, but first have you restacked your valve yet?

Goose

I just found my instruction sheet and it lists 6 tubes in the kit. If you decide to do it and I can email you the instructions.

Bill Smith

Occupation
Rental House Owner
So Sheepfoot and Goose are you telling me that the spool valve assembly will have to be split ?, And the tubes you are refering to is what?
Regards Bill

sheepfoot

Bill, yes to put the sections in the correct order, it had some tubes that had to be replaced because the swing section had to be moved to the other side, the new stacking was end section/bucket/dipper/boom/swing/end section from left to right looking at the rear of machine, the kits could be done in a day.

Bill Smith

Occupation
Rental House Owner
Yes I have a full enclosed cab , so can the spool valves be accesed behind the outside rear metal glass gaurd . The gaurd im referring to is the sheet metal plate that has 6 bolts and sits directly behind the boom lock .

nitro

Occupation
gc
i was thinking about doin the same thing , can somebody put up the instructions and parts required...and yeah i got a full cab too

sheepfoot

Bill, the whole control valve will have to come out of the machine and be restacked, once all lines are loose and linkages, the valve should come out above the swing cylinders, there is 4 bolts that hold the valve in place and it has some weight to it, after cleaning the valve again it can be unstacked by removing the nuts on one side of the threw bolts that hold the stack together, there will be orings between the sections and sometimes shims on the threw bolts between the sections, after removing/cleaning/ restacking in the hand swing order install the nuts and tighten to spec, reinstall in machine, then you will need the tubes and fittings to hook your hyd's up. I had looked threw my files to find the kit paperwork but did not. Goose said he maybe able to send you his list per post, i will look again also. The rear pannel/glass/pannel i would just leave in place, but would take the 4 bolts out of the seat base (floor) and set it off the machine to give more room to work while in the cab. ps trace and tag hoses and valve sections before the removel to make it easier to install, and would not start untill parts are there. hopes this helps some.

Bill Smith

Occupation
Rental House Owner
Thanks Sheepfoot and Goose This job will have to wait untill spring . Garage is not large enough to hold the 580 so it looks like an outside job .
I don't need to change the controls but the 580 is my hobby and i just happen to have a set of controls .So thanks for your input it saved a lot of time if you think this was just a day job for a rookie and the machine had to be on the job tomorrow. Thanks again

Redneckgirl

Case 580C Joy Stick/Wobble Stick Assembly

I seem to think back in the early 80's all we did was remove the skirt across the rear and loosen the tower, pull the cotter pins and pins, remove unit. Set up new tower leave knobs off install tower and linkage pins, adjust levers , install cover plastic adjust two lever arms, install knobs, reinstall rear skirt. I don't remember removing the floor. the cab units took a little more but not much.

Sheepfoot, just read your thread today in regards to this subject, and my husband is wanting to change his 580C Extend-a-hoe to the joy stick system.
Do you know where we can find this assembly for this unit?

Redneckgirl

I just found my instruction sheet and it lists 6 tubes in the kit. If you decide to do it and I can email you the instructions.

Goose, my husband is interested in converting over his 580C extend-a-hoe to the joy-stick system, and would like to know if you could email us the instructions, if you still have them. It would be appreciated. If you can, I will send my email to you. Thanks in advance.

sheepfoot

You will more than likely not find a new kit do to the age of your machine. You will have to call some tractor bone yards and try to find a unit that is being parted out. Your hoe on the 580C machine is a # 35, it has two boom cylinders, it was used on the 580 B/C/D/E machines along with other types wheel loader and crawler. The C two lever tower was different than the D/E machines. Some of the issues, does your machine have a cab or just roll cage, does your machine have a extenda hoe on it. To help you out go to the casece parts lookup, type in your 580C , when it opens go to section 09 chassis/attachments, 452 will show controls with foot swing, 454 controls with hand swing, 456 will show your extendable dipper control levers. You could use the pic's and part numbers to either send out or check what is still in inventory. It will be a project depending on what you find because it seemed there was 500-1000 foot swings to one two lever hand swing back then.