• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 frustrating hydraulic line removal

Nick Tonelli

I blew the return(?) line from the pump on my 1986 case 580 super e this past weekend. I was able to remove the end from the pump easily enough but for the life of me can’t remove the other end of the soft line which is wedged between frame rail and engine block.

It’s mainly a matter of leverage but I’ve tried everything I can think of: all sizes adjustable wrenches, pipe wrench, crows feet with extensions etc. I can get a decent amount of torque on it with the crows feet so much that the entire hard line moves but I cannot free up the fitting.

I’ve soaked it in PB and hit it with as much heat as I think the area can tolerate without compromising the other soft line above it.

Any ideas short of removing engine? I’m not even sure on plausibility of that with bucket in the way regardless..I’m stumped

Attachments

• F97A5DAD-0953-4E8D-915C-DEF5AA139475.jpeg
    F97A5DAD-0953-4E8D-915C-DEF5AA139475.jpeg
    833.5 KB · Views: 76
  • BE5E3B22-444D-4241-84A0-D20526CE3C3C.jpeg
    BE5E3B22-444D-4241-84A0-D20526CE3C3C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 76
  • 9DFD67A8-B32F-476B-9772-1E63CCE58C18.jpeg
    9DFD67A8-B32F-476B-9772-1E63CCE58C18.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 75

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Fitting connections like that pretty much require whacking the flats of the fitting nut with a hammer. Peening the nut like that disturbs the metal and makes it expand just a bit enough to get the fitting loose. But in your case, where it's located, not likely you're going to be able to get some hammer blows on that fitting nut. Possibly use an air chisel with a really dull chisel tip, even grind it flat on the end, and beat on that nut flats you can get to with the chisel tip.

cosmaar1

I blew the return(?) line from the pump on my 1986 case 580 super e this past weekend. I was able to remove the end from the pump easily enough but for the life of me can’t remove the other end of the soft line which is wedged between frame rail and engine block.

It’s mainly a matter of leverage but I’ve tried everything I can think of: all sizes adjustable wrenches, pipe wrench, crows feet with extensions etc. I can get a decent amount of torque on it with the crows feet so much that the entire hard line moves but I cannot free up the fitting.

I’ve soaked it in PB and hit it with as much heat as I think the area can tolerate without compromising the other soft line above it.

Any ideas short of removing engine? I’m not even sure on plausibility of that with bucket in the way regardless..I’m stumped
Two thoughts I have….. get a pair of smaller Vice grips and clamp down on it. Maybe that will give you better leverage.

Idea 2, cut the hose off as far as you can go and put a deep well socket over the nut. Maybe that will work?

Delmer

You're gonna need two line wrenches to get that off. A line wrench barely fits around the line part because it goes around five corners of a hex nut, two of those together will let you apply force with both hands squeezing and not twist the steel line.

Hammering the flats like Willie described will help. Even if you only reach one or two, put some steel behind the hex nut and smack with the ball end of a ball peen hammer.

Or like cosmarr said, cut the hose and use a socket or box end wrench on that part, and a box end wrench on the bigger hex.

Nick Tonelli

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions - this is a great forum. Didnt get out today to give it a try with the kids and weather but gonna give it a crack tomorrow

Air chisel on the corners of the fitting. It will come loose.
I hadn't though of that - no access to air tho so I might try my milwaukee SDS drill with a long chisel as is ths closes thing I have to an air chisel

Fitting connections like that pretty much require whacking the flats of the fitting nut with a hammer. Peening the nut like that disturbs the metal and makes it expand just a bit enough to get the fitting loose. But in your case, where it's located, not likely you're going to be able to get some hammer blows on that fitting nut. Possibly use an air chisel with a really dull chisel tip, even grind it flat on the end, and beat on that nut flats you can get to with the chisel tip.
I did try giving it a whack with a few extensions and a 3lb sledge but you're right with funky angle it was nearly impossible to get any power behind it

Get a wrench on it and use a long bar to pry against the wrench.
Tried a host of different wrenchs and the only ones that fit have no where near enough leverage with the oil pan and frame in the way

Two thoughts I have….. get a pair of smaller Vice grips and clamp down on it. Maybe that will give you better leverage.

Idea 2, cut the hose off as far as you can go and put a deep well socket over the nut. Maybe that will work?
I tried smaller vice grip as the bigger ones were too large to get on nut and the smaller ones didnt have the jaw size

Similar issue with the hose because its steel braided or steel inlayed(?) its very difficult to cut due to the location. I wouldnt be able to cut the hose in the location needed to get a deep well socket on

You're gonna need two line wrenches to get that off. A line wrench barely fits around the line part because it goes around five corners of a hex nut, two of those together will let you apply force with both hands squeezing and not twist the steel line.

Hammering the flats like Willie described will help. Even if you only reach one or two, put some steel behind the hex nut and smack with the ball end of a ball peen hammer.

Or like cosmarr said, cut the hose and use a socket or box end wrench on that part, and a box end wrench on the bigger hex.

I've got a set of line wrenches but no luck getting them on fitting there simply isnt enough room especially on the smaller nut
This is one of those times where you turn this over to a son-in-law/ son/ grandson in trade for beer/candy/ favor.
I am the son haha my little guy is only 2 so while his hands would be perfect for that tight area I dont quite think his grip strength is there yet...

As a last resort can you remove the hard line and hose together ?
I followed the path of the hard line..I think they built this backhoe around the hard line its almost comical the amount of things that would need removal in order to get the very large and multi bent hard line out

Notice the OSHA approved tinfoil heat barrier, looks like some sort of heating device was used, not enough I suspect.
You're exactly right - I put a decent amount of heat up there but not enough. I've since bent a piece of sheet metal as a deflector between that nut and the soft line above it to really throw some heat at it. I'm hoping between the sheet metal, air pocket and tin foil I wont cook the other soft line

Nick Tonelli

This pic gives a better indication of where the fitting is located and the issues of getting any sort of leverage on nut with wrenches or sockets. These are two 12" extensions - anything shallower hits the oil pan, anything longer hits the skid or the angle is too much to get any significant leverage. I placed the "heat shield" behind fitting in this pic and will give it lots of heat tomorrow

Attachments

• image_67207937.JPG
    image_67207937.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 34

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I'll just preface this by saying I'm an idiot so keep that in mind if you ever take advice from me lol.

In cases like that I have used an air hammer to get nuts loose. Snap On makes a kit with special crowsfeet that have a block to put a blunt air hammer bit against. Never tried it but I'm tempted to buy the kit.

Nick Tonelli

I'll just preface this by saying I'm an idiot so keep that in mind if you ever take advice from me lol.

In cases like that I have used an air hammer to get nuts loose. Snap On makes a kit with special crowsfeet that have a block to put a blunt air hammer bit against. Never tried it but I'm tempted to buy the kit.
I'm a big fan of the "if it's stupid but it works, it ain't that stupid theory" especially in situations like this haha

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
It looks like it is time for a harborfreight run
And get some cheap wrenchs and cut them up and weld them at the right angles to do what you need
I have done this many times

I just bought a set of standard and metric wrenches from HF when they were on sale for the exact reason. My wife thinks I am nuts for purchasing a set of wrenches just to throw in my box to cut, bend, weld up. For me, it is cheap insurance :).