• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 decision, SK vs SM

newdesertfox

I've been passively shopping for a backhoe for about 8 months now, I have several hundred hours on a JD-310J but for personal ownership I'm leaning heavily in favor of case. I was looking at 2 580s, ones a SK with 7k hours on it, open ROPS, and another is an SM series 2 with 4800 hours on it single owner with closed cab AC and a hydro quick coupler. Both are 4x4, 4-1, and extenda hoe. My main uses are farm/occasional construction work, deforesting/land clearing, and log/lumber moving (operating a sawmill and lumber, was considering forks for the front and thumb or grapple for the rear) Im semi familiar with the K and SK and but im not overly familiar with the M series. What are people's thoughts who are much more used to 580 then I am? Ive heard the K and SK's are basically bullet proof and have a solid engine but I don't know much on the hear say for SM,s or what the different series means, the AC is a nice thought as I live in the south and it can be miserable working in the sun with 90+ weather but not a deal breaker

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
If the K uses the frame for the hydraulic tank I'd defiantly buy the SM I've owned both . AC is a BIG plus with it on high today in my SM it was only able to bring the temp. down to 97.8 degrees but without it it would have been well over 120. I have over 7,000 hrs. on mine now and only changed 2 hoses and a fuel shut of solenoid so far. My K got a crack in frame ( behind the back wheel ) which was part of the hydraulic tank and a bear to weld up. I was told they also tended to get a leak where you had to pull the motor to repair it. Other than that it was a great machine for 12,000 hrs. when I sold it.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Go with the SM the SK had some issues with in frame tank leakage after a time of use. You'll like the SM how it operates over the SK and the enclosed cab with air won't hurt either, just be careful in the woods.

361brock

Occupation
retired
I only have 5,000 hrs on my SK but never had any of the mentioned issues, It's been a good machine. I have also quite a few hrs on a SM. They are both good machines but I would lean towards the lower hr later model machine, but the cab with AC would be an important part of my decision especially that I have the non AC SK.

Nick

csthompson12

I think the M is about as new as you can go without having a lot of electronics or an ECU, which to me is a good thing.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I've had two K model. Always some fussy issue to repair. Both mine needed torque converter seals, about $1000 for the dealer to do it. I went through a lot of pin & bushing replacement & resealed some cylinders. The swing proportioning valve was in need of rebuild on both. K with six lever controls was unpleasant to run, but some operators prefer it. The K I kept longest came to me as non extend a hoe, four lever/foot swing. I used it a while, knew I was never going to like it, so i swapped with the extend a hoe/joystick control.
Plumbing on the K made for very unpredictable swing. if using other functions simultaneous swing was slow. End other functions, it'd take off like a bullet! Punched a hole in a new wall once not being careful enough.

I've only used an M series once. I was in the next state at an antique tractor pull. The Case dealer I use had donated the use of a Super M. The operator setting blocks on the boat went for a long lunch, I took over. I was deeply impressed with how smooth the pilot controlled Super M was.

My present Super N is super smooth operating. I find I'm digging fast only a small part of the time. Much of the use, one man hooking chain, another at the controls, I want smooth predictable operation. Super N with pilot controls has a button works like shifting the hydraulics to low gear.

I love ride control, AC, & numerous other features the K didn't have.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Early K models have a ductile iron end cap on the dipper of extend a hoe, not sure if this is true of non extend a hoe. With age the bolts tend to loosen. At one time Case offered a weld on cap. The correct bolts are 12 point & super hardened. I only found grade 8. I used Loctite bearing set, torqued them very high as the manual calls for, & welded a piece of key stock across the heads of three bolts. I haven't seen the machine in a year or more, I believe it worked.

Preppypyro

My 95 sk has been a pretty good reliable machine, but they do have the common issues. Wiring, and cracking fuel tank seem to be common. I often ponder upgrading machines, and if I had the choice I would definitely take a newer machine with ac, and ride control.
Nothing wrong with the SK's though. If your willing to take some time and fix and upgrade the issues, they will last you a long time.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
My K had numerous electrical issues. There are mating plugs joining sections of wiring harness at bottom under tractor where it is exposed to rain water, road salt, leaked fluids. These plugs are problematic.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Does the M have joystick controls? My 580SM is a series 1 with the 4 lever and it is a awesome machine with 8800 hrs on it so far.
You first learn one control system, likely you prefer it throughout your life. I learned SAE (John Deere) first. After an hour of cautious operation, I'm reasonably confident with ISO (Cat controls).
I had a Case 580K with three lever/foot swing, I just HATED it! I could adapt to the three lever backhoe controls, but found myself panicking to stop a swing. My brain said lift my foot to end a swing, my tractor demanded I end it with my other foot.
Case 580K early were renown for swinging FAST & unpredictable swing speed. I have always prided myself being able to run anything, I hated 580K foot swing. I did a big job of converting mine to joystick.

361brock

Occupation
retired
I bought my SK from dealer when it was 3 years old with 900 hrs. I wouldn't buy it unless they converted machine to foot swing. They did it. I still have the SK but also have a SM with lever controls. The SM has very smooth hydraulics and feels heavier & stronger. Both have full cabs, the SM is bigger, more glass, better visibility. Much easier to use 4in1 bucket too. My 2 cents.