• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 580 control issue

bobgau

Greetings all
I have a 2004 580 super m with pilot controls, extenda-hoe control and stabilizer switches quit working all other joystick functions work including aux hydraulic button, fuse is ok, not sure what to look for, any advice appreciated.

Bob G

fpgm04

There is an electronic controller module on the pilot controlled machines that manages the functions you listed (stabilizers, ehoe, and aux on some machines).

The module is a small box about 3x4x1 inches with a single connector in the middle of it. I recall it is on the left hand side (facing forward) on the main chassis above the rear axle. (might be right hand side, but in the area above the rear axle) It has a red LED that will flash codes in a morse code on/off fashion. If it is flashing a code, write it down and it can be looked up in a service manual to help point to the problem. Check with engine OFF, key switch on, and vehicle safely parked such that it will not move.

If there is no LED active, then check for damaged wiring to the module and also check the connector to make sure the terminal pins are clean and not pushed out.

Worst case is the module might be bad and needs replaced, but the good news is it is easy to replace. I definitely would not go the replacement route until LED codes are checked.

Last edited:

bobgau

Thankyou for the reply, this morning before heading to work I started the machine and all functions worked fine, got home from work tonite and the extend a hoe and stabilizers would not function, did a little bucket work and tried the functions again and all worked so the problem is intermittent, have seen in the past where the stabilizers would not extend but turning the hydraulic function switch(located on the right hand tower) off then back on solved the problem but not so now. Could the module be on the way out or a loose connector?

fpgm04

As you are losing all functions controlled by the module, it is difficult to speculate if the issue it is the module, some connections (such as power or ground) to it, or other.

It would be interesting to know what the LED indicates when you having the issue. For example, no LED would potentially (not certainly) indicate loss of power to the module. If the LED is off, then I would check the power and ground wires at the module. If no power or ground then work back to the where the disconnect is. If power and ground but no LED, then replace the module. If LED has a code, then address that.

bobgau

Thanks. will check out the module for any led indicator and go from there.

combatoven

fpgm04, i'm having a similar issue on a 2005 case 580 SR (australia) with pilot controls. No Backhoe Pilot controls are working. Replaced the module still no luck. Hydraulics to Auger work along with front bucket, i have removed several backhoe coil solenoid valves which are working with the "backhoe activation" switch (theres probably a better name for it). Using a multimeter i seem to have power to relevant plugs. I was hoping you could point me in the right direction to interpret fault codes on the module box (red led). Currently the led is turning off every 4 seconds or so. I have a service manual but can't seem to find details on this modules fault code anywhere in the manual. Appreciate any advice/assistance. thanks

fpgm04

Welcome to HEF Combatoven

I don’t have a 580SR service manual, but typically the pilot control faults are in the Hydraulics section.

In any case, there are just 4 faults the LED will report, and the condition you are seeing (4 seconds on, then brief off) is the normal (no fault condition).

Before going too far, it is not exactly clear when you say “No Backhoe Pilot controls are working” in the context of replacing the control module.
Specifically, the control module only controls 3 functions. Stabilizers, extend-a-hoe, and auxiliary hydraulics (if installed). Pilot control movement of boom, dipper, bucket, and swing are not involved with the control module.

Therefore, if you have no pilot control of boom, dipper, or bucket functions, the issue could be safety interlock related, or hydraulic, or damaged wiring, not the control module.

If the issue is no pilot control of stabilizers and extend-a-hoe, then observe the LED on the control module after attempting to move the stabilizers/extend-a-hoe and see if a different code is reported. Make sure the vehicle is in a safe state before observing the LED. Post the new code, and we can see where that takes the investigation.

It might also be worth noting that switches for stabilizers and extend-a-hoe need to be in the center/neutral position at key-on. Therefore if a stuck switch is present, those functions will not work.

Not sure if this helping. Post a little more information of what you are seeing and more than likely someone on this site will have more knowledge than me as to how to address.

combatoven

Thanks for the welcome mate, this forum looks to be a good community. Thats interesting regarding the module box only controlling 3 functions. In my case the following pilot controls are not working (boom dipper bucket swing stabiliser and extendahoe) however the tilt bucket controls are working (two red buttons on left hand side joystick) and when i plug the foot pedal into the entry side aka the right hand side when operating in the backhoe position the auger attachment i have is working. I imagine these are routed through different hydraulics. Any idea on looking for a safety interlock issue? In the past their has been no issue with operating the backhoe with the seat swung in any position and in fact i have had to use the backhoe in conjunction with the front bucket to get out of a bogged situation a few times. I have just checked the module box as you describe after attempting to activate stabilisers and extendahoe. However no fault is recorded. If i unplug either of those switches the module starts to understandably throw fault codes. Is there any other way to access fault codes on this machine? Unfortunetly this machine does not have the instrument cluster which has the small display incorporated in it to show dault codes. Let me know your thoughts Cheers

fpgm04

If you don’t have an electronic (with display) instrument cluster, then your vehicle is pre-fault code vintage. Specifically there is nothing on the vehicle logging fault codes.

Now before going any further, let me point out my experience is with North America vehicles and you are dealing with at SR in Australia, so take this for what it is worth. Hopefully, some of the experts down under like alrman will chime in.

From a pilot control viewpoint, I would start by looking at the enable switch and associated relay. While I am in North America, I believe your 580SR should be similar. To get the boom, dipper, e-hoe operational, the momentary position on the pilot control enable switch must be pressed. This locks a relay on and enables the pilot pressure system valve. The switch then rests in the middle position for normal backhoe operation, unless the off position is selected by the operator to turn everything off.

If you start the vehicle with the switch in the middle position, the safety will not allow backhoe operation until the momentary switch position is pressed.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a SR schematic to tell you exactly where the relay is, but hopefully your manual will direct you.

When you press the momentary switch, do you hear the valve/system energize? I would guess not, based on description. Assuming the switch is ok, next place to check is the relay.

One other item, I am not clear on what you mean by “tilt bucket control”. I am assume this is an auxiliary hydraulics feature installed on your machine, which would be external to the pilot system.

Jimbro

I have a 580N that is having the same issues. It was working yesterday but now is dead. I have no light on the control module, none of the backhoe or stabilizer feet are responding. All fuses are good and relays seem to be also. And now it won't go into gear! No reverse beeper either.
Ideas are welcome.
I'm located in Panama.

fpgm04

This thread is getting real diverse.
It started with a M series machine pilot control, then shifted to a different person in Australia with SR series machine, and now a Panama N series machine that will not go into gear.

It seems you have many more issues than previous people such as not going into gear, so I would not jump to the conclusion that your issue is the same.

The transmission system is almost completely separate from the backhoe system. There are very few common points between driveline and backhoe, but I would take a guess you have a damaged or lose electrical ground connection based on you stating that you have checked power with fuses and relays.

Check all ground studs for clean and tight connections with no corrosion. Depending on what options you have on the machine, there are electrical ground points around the loader control area that could cause the issues you describe. If those are ok, then check other ground points on vehicle such by the rear axle, firewalls, starter, and others...

Do you have a service manual? If not, you should get one specific to your machine for the troubleshooting procedures and schematics.

Note : There are many models of 580N and many options for the 580N.
For example as you are in Panama, do you have a 580N built in Brazil or USA? (Engine systems and machine wiring will vary)

Does the machine have an instrument cluster with an LCD display and menus, or a traditional hour meter instrument cluster? If electronic cluster, are there any fault codes reported?

What transmission do you have? (manual shift lever, or electronic lever control)

Pilot backhoe controls or mechanical lever backhoe controlled?

Last edited:

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Every one should check their main electrical connectors located inside the loader control lever housing. When the "M" series was fairly new they had trouble there with wires getting hot and pins and sockets being loose.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
If it has a computer,turn off battery disconnect for a minute or two,turn back on try

fpgm04

Pumpguysc regarding your post #12, I can only say I try to learn from the best! Sincerely :D

Jimbro

I have physically inspected all connectors and wiring and found no breaks and no excessive corrosion. All connectors have been cleaned and dielectric grease applied.

Craig Barry

fpgm04, i'm having a similar issue on a 2005 case 580 SR (australia) with pilot controls. No Backhoe Pilot controls are working. Replaced the module still no luck. Hydraulics to Auger work along with front bucket, i have removed several backhoe coil solenoid valves which are working with the "backhoe activation" switch (theres probably a better name for it). Using a multimeter i seem to have power to relevant plugs. I was hoping you could point me in the right direction to interpret fault codes on the module box (red led). Currently the led is turning off every 4 seconds or so. I have a service manual but can't seem to find details on this modules fault code anywhere in the manual. Appreciate any advice/assistance. thanks
Hi I am in Victoria and have just had same problem with 2007 580 super R. Under the floorboards between Joysticks on right hand side from behind there should be a section of loom attached to chassis with a approx 1 inch square relay switch on end of 1 inch square block on end of loom, mine was zip tied to the loom and had pulled apart a small amount causing fault pushed back together and all good now. Good luck.

James Stone

Does anyone have a picture of the control module for the case 590 super n? Having the same issues but was just curious what im actually looking for