• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 CK stuck wheel or brakes

onemank6

Hey diver if your like me now all you have to do is remember you fixed them brakes ........I drove mine without them so long that after i fixed them i would forget to use them ...talk about a brain fart:duh .......Now im used to them working and i actually use them..........:Banghead

Heck Grady pour a couple beers under that tree maybe you can start harvesting 12 packs .....If that works i want some of that NH soil shipped here......I just gotta say that was real cool of you to find and ship that part to Diver and help him out:notworthy:notworthy .....where else can you go to find this kinda stuff.....Reminds me of pumpguy on here hooking me up with that throttle shaft ......This kinda stuff is getting harder to find these days ..........

Grady

xpack, I didn't have to ship it to him. Turns out he only lives about 20 minutes away so I met him at Home Depot and gave it to him in person. Yeah, we have to help each other out when we can. That's what this forum is all about, right? He tried over and over to pay me for it but he didn't succeed. He did offer to help me out with whatever I needed and to use his tools and equipment - and he also gave me some good info about differentials. I think I got the best of this deal.

It only took a couple minutes to dig out that part and I put it there 35 years ago -but I can't find my sunglasses that I took off 2 days ago.

Last edited:

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
It only took a couple minutes to dig out that part and I put it there 35 years ago -but I can't find my sunglasses that I took off 2 days ago.[/QUOTE]

Ha, ha, I'm glad I'm not the only one.... I keep buying them and then leave them at home, in the boat, in the truck, everywhere but where I look for them when I need them.

diver

Occupation
retired
Ha, ha, I'm glad I'm not the only one.... I keep buying them and then leave them at home, in the boat, in the truck, everywhere but where I look for them when I need them.[/QUOTE]

Crap and all this time i thought i was the only one with the DA attacks ( dumbazz attack) lol. Yes not many people like us ol school guys left. Mr metallic sure helped me out and so glad we are only 20 mins apart. In my world one hand washes the other ..
Diver

diver

Occupation
retired
that's interesting - no outer band on the early models - you could probably swap in some 580 brakes if you wanted to - but just so they work is probably good enough. 580 parts might just be easier to find.

Yep i will try the 580 brakes when i open this ol girl up again to replace the carrier plate

1968 Case 580CK

that's interesting - no outer band on the early models - you could probably swap in some 580 brakes if you wanted to - but just so they work is probably good enough. 580 parts might just be easier to find.

Yea, that is interesting seeing that the outer bands were not used on this model.
Xpac.......your head has got to be bruised up by now......with that mallet and brick wall youve been banging into. Ha ha.
Yep......way cool seeing that old rusty part get dug out from under the tree and now used once again.....that would have made some great pics of the part being dug up, and then seeing it installed on the tractor.

onemank6

68 i dont ever remember not having a bruised head but i think the older i get the more i bruise it.... hahahahaha

BartDHull

Rear Diff lock- right brake housing....

Anybody here have a 580 with the diff lock? My "brake drum" has friction linings on the side of it and a cable that twists a cam to put side pressure on the right side brake drum.

I took apart the left side first to see what I was getting into. (Even after looking at the service manual). I know I've got a bad seal as the brakes and everything else was covered with black oily gunk. (Mud had plugged the drains on the covers.

I scuffed the diff lock pads and put on new lining for the brakes. I'm still fighting getting the bearing cover off so I can replace that seal.

Then I'll take it for a test run and see if all that work was worth it.

CAL-Ranch here in Phoenix has the Case Ugly Yellow Industrial paint, so I paint what I fix and I know where I'm at on this project..... LOL

Bart
Phoenix, AZ

1968 Case 580CK

Bart.......Paint it as you fix it.....hey, thats a plan. Like the old lady driving her 58 pink cadill-a-lac who had the bumper sticker that said, "I may be slow, but Im in front of you!"

onemank6

Bart I have the 1970 580ck mine has the diff lock but i dont remember any cables im pretty sure mine is all linkages .... Is yours a ck ????......can you post some pics of what you have going on with your rig.....

BartDHull

I'll try to get some pics. Most of the time I work on it at night in my pole barn. Too much Arizona sun these last few weeks and I'm feeling a bit sunburned. I wish I'd read the link where it said to put the rear wheel on a 4 x 4 to keep most of the oil in the rear end.
Oh well, I'm sure it needed to be changed..... LOL

The brake backing plate on mine was glued on with silicone on the plate and between the 4 shims... That and the stud on the one corner took a bit of wiggling with prybars to break the silicone bond. The seal was rolled. Probably never sealed. I saw about using tape to cover splines and grooves. I have some clear cellophane that is a bit stiffer that would prevent any contact with anything sharp or anything from rolling the seal.

As far as removing this seal without removing the brake plate, under very good conditions it could be done, but again my seal was put in with some silicone and required a punch to push it out. Not something I could do on the tractor.

Just sharing what I've come across just as you gentlemen have done. You pictures and descriptions made it possible to see what I was getting into.

Also remember the extra person to push the brake pedal to center shaft before putting on brake backing plate.

Thank you.

Bart D. Hull
Phoenix, AZ

onemank6

Bart..........Those pics will be great to see when you can get them............You can bottle up some of that sun and ship it to michigan i will send you some of this cool air hahhaahha
its finally starting to let go of winter a little hear but i heard some more snow is expected this week arghh.....oh well it shouldnt last long....

BartDHull

Bart..........Those pics will be great to see when you can get them............You can bottle up some of that sun and ship it to michigan i will send you some of this cool air hahhaahha
its finally starting to let go of winter a little hear but i heard some more snow is expected this week arghh.....oh well it shouldnt last long....

XPackdeals, You would thought you died and went to heaven working on heavy equipment here. NO rust or corrosion. Bolts turn out with your bare hand after you break it free. With my 580B is has been well "externally lubricated" so any bolt I've worked with so far already has oil penetrant on it... Now rubber and plastic is another deal, but with older vehicles with minimum plastic and rubber they are great deals here. The front loaders and backhoes do work hard here on our dry but very well compacted soil.

One question I have.... What are all the unmarked knobs on the dash? Figured out one was the fuel pump cutoff and one seems to turn on the dash. (Temp, oil pressure and shuttle pressure gauges start working when this knob is pulled) and one is lights. I have about 4 or 5 more that all look like factory knobs. Anybody have a labeled dash picture?

1968 Case 580CK

Bart......Be careful with Xpac's knobs and switches.........I think there is a switch to launch his side-winder missles and another for the 50mm cannon, and maybe one for the injection seat. If anyone hops onboard and starts messing around, that person will either get a mean chrome bird pecking on his head, or a Voodoo Queen hissing some curse at him. Ha ha.

onemank6

68 .......your killing me here...........:pointlaugh...... hahahahehehehhawhawhaw.......:pointlaugh............Now i just gotta get that BEAM ME UP SCOTTY button figured out...:eek::eek::eek::falldownlaugh:falldownlaugh

onemank6

XPackdeals, You would thought you died and went to heaven working on heavy equipment here. NO rust or corrosion. Bolts turn out with your bare hand after you break it free. With my 580B is has been well "externally lubricated" so any bolt I've worked with so far already has oil penetrant on it... Now rubber and plastic is another deal, but with older vehicles with minimum plastic and rubber they are great deals here. The front loaders and backhoes do work hard here on our dry but very well compacted soil.

One question I have.... What are all the unmarked knobs on the dash? Figured out one was the fuel pump cutoff and one seems to turn on the dash. (Temp, oil pressure and shuttle pressure gauges start working when this knob is pulled) and one is lights. I have about 4 or 5 more that all look like factory knobs. Anybody have a labeled dash picture?

Bart..... Mine is the ck and after i reworked the dash its now a ck hybred hahahaha.......Anyway the ck dash is different that the b dash but my neighbor has a b here are some pics of his dash the 2 on the left are the fuel cutoff the 2 on the right one is a manifold heater the other is a start button and of course ignition switch.....That switch that you said turns on your guages sounds like a light switch of some sort is it just turning on dash and background lights for the gauges????
DSCN1774.jpg
DSCN1775.jpg
DSCN1776.jpg
DSCN1777.jpg

Last edited:

BartDHull

Pics of my 1974 580B CK

Time for some pics of my 1974 580B CK. (Not sure on the CK part.)
Pic of my tractor in barn where I'm working on it. (Sure can't bring it in front garage with it's backhoe height.)
2016-03-21 23.11.04.jpg

Right side dash pic
2016-03-21 23.10.00.jpg

Left side dash pic
2016-03-21 23.09.35.jpg

Dash pic
2016-03-21 23.09.22.jpg

Bart D. Hull
Laveen, AZ

1968 Case 580CK

Bart........that 74 is in pretty decent shape. Gotta love that "Evil Kanievel" steering wheel. This is what Xpac needed when he tried to jump the Grand Canyon with his Voodoo Queen. (those pics under a different thread).

onemank6

Bart........The ck part just stands for construction king a lot of us have just a plain 580 construction king and thats why we refer to them as just a (ck) your 580 b was the next model that case made which is the (580 b) then it just goes up from there..580c,580d,ect..... with the plain ck and the b a lot of the stuff is the same with the driveline ect...but the hoe,dash,hood ect...is different between the ck and the b yours is still called a b with the ck meaning construction king but the model is a 580 b.... where ours is a plain 580......

I see yours has had some backwoods engineering done to it as have most of ours so some of the switches ect....may have been added by previous owners you will probably just have to trace them out to figure out what others have done.....

Looks like a good rig they are a workhorse i cant imagine being without my ck now that i have it......
here is a couple of good threads about the ck's that may help you with yours you will get a laugh or 2 out of them but there is a lot of info on both of them and theres a lot more others have posted theres some really good ones by a guy named Phil who is no longer posting on here unfortunately....
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?56120-68-580CK-Project
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?55963-1970-580ck-Gets-her-name-and-surgery
this one shows pics of evel jumping the 580 that 68 is talking about hahahahah

Last edited:

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Bart.. NICE RIG!!!
If you can give me the #'s off the injection pump.. I can tell you whatcha got..
BUT PLEASE>> don't scrape the nameplate.. use some gasket/paint remover.. just spray it on and wipe it off..
you'll thank me later.. TPG