• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 580 backhoe diagnostics

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Were is the diagnostic connector on the case 580m series 3 backhoe .could not find it near the fuse box or near the relay box

Last edited:

Goose

It is in the fuse panel access opening. look for a gray cap that screws off of the diagnostic connector.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Goose I have looked high and low around that fuse box no luck .I know what the connector looks like . Have used them on other machines. I even took the cover plate on the top of the steering wheel console off to look down but luck .It should be their .This is a weird one.These are brand new backhoes 2009/2010.

Last edited:

fpgm04

580M series 3 do not have a diagnostic connector as they do not have an electronic engine controller nor a canbus. 580SM series 3 and up (including 590) will have the diagnostic connector.

Last edited:

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
fpgm04 yea but you can read diagnostic codes on dash panel .so it must have som kind of computer controlling it .were will the connector be on the 580sm series 3 be

fpgm04

If you have a dash panel with a LCD display, you have a “SM” or higher series 3 machine, not a “M” series 3 machine.

There is only one diagnostic connector to access all of the controllers on the machine.

You are looking in the correct location for the diagnostic connector as it is mounted in the front console by the fuse panel. Access is from the front console’s left side fuse panel door.
I suppose it is possible that the nut holding the diagnostic connector could come off.
If so, then the connector should be hanging behind this area.

Goose

I didnt catch that this was only a M-3 and not a SM-3. fpgm04 is correct in that since a M-3 does not have an electronic engine or a powershift transmission it will not have the diagnostic connector like the SM-3 and up do.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Thank you guys this one has driving me nuts to find it.Thanks for the info

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Just wondering what software you use for diagnostics - OEM Case or something else?
Over here there isn't much information around for aftermarket software that is compatable - anyone have any info?

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
Im not aware of any aftermarket software, im assuming its because of the keytool. The OEM diagnostic software isnt such a big deal, its the service manuals on CD where they really get you.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
I have Pocketfleet diagnose.It works great .Check them out at http://www.pocketfleetdiagnosticsolutions.com .It works on cummins ,sterling ,mack,ford international and many other .Will also work on john deere ,case ,Magnum generator with john deere engine and many others.I have the basic version right now but their is also a oem version.I will be upgrade to the oem soon. I like what it can .Check them out.

Last edited:

alrman

Occupation
thanks tool king, I've spent a while researching this on the web & pocketfleet are the only one I could find that actually mention Case & have a pic of a SM being tested. I've contacted them, but I'm still trying to confirm the protocol used on the engines of the Euro built SR III machines here in Australia & whether it is the same as US built SM III.

Can you confirm if the plug used over there is a 9 pin Deutsch?

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
the usa proto calls are 1708 and 1939 for engines .we use a 9 pin deutsch on machines that i have tested and seen .But Caterpiller offroad engines use a 9 pin but with the center pin their is no tang sticking from it like the standerd 9 pin .And 6 or 9 pin on heavy duty truck depends on make and model of truck.

fpgm04

Alrman,
Standard 9 pin Deutsch diagnostic connector is the same on SR III or SM III, however the location is different in the cab (SM is In the front console, SR is in the side console).
This is the same connector for Deere, for what that may be worth.
There is only one bus on the SR III, so many of the 9 pins are not connected.

I believe you are dealing with J1939 protocol on the SR III just like SM III.
J1708 (truck and bus) should not apply to SR III.

Keep in mind on J1939 there are 2 types of messages, standard and proprietary.
Any J1939 canbus tool is going to be able to handle standard J1939 messages. Therefore if you want to monitor such things like engine RPM, engine torque, temperature, values of some standard sensors, etc. there is no problems.
The issue will be if you need to access data that is part of the OEM proprietary messages, which are by definition proprietary.

I would be real surprised if this tool will let you actually clear the fault logs on the SR, configure controllers, monitor status of vehicle specific devices like switches, or run the same engine diagnostic functions as the OEM tool does (example turn off one engine injector or active the grid heater).
I realize Pocketfleet website lists some of these features, but that is probably in reference to truck and bus J1708, not off-road J1939 which you are needing for your SR III.
Another point probably buried in the fine print is that fault codes on J1939 go out on the bus as SPN/FMI numbers. These are not the same as the integer fault code numbers you see on your dashboard display or published in service manuals. I would also be surprised if Pocketfleet translates these for you into something useful.

A couple of questions for you :
What type of diagnostic information are you wanting access to via the J1939 canbus?
Have you asked what true support Pocketfleet has implemented for the SR III or Case in general?

In any case, please keep us posted.

alrman

Occupation
fpgm04,tool king,
Thanks for your input.
I'm not having any problems at the moment, but I run a repair business & it bugs me when one of my SR customers rings & has some kind of engine fault & I can't do any thing about it.

Trying to buy a service manual for one of these is like you've asked them for the keys to old Jerome Increase's personal vault!
Obviously OEM diagnostics will never go on sale for your every day man on the street, I just need something that will diagnose faults on these engines. The system that is used surely is not a Case/Iveco ONLY system.
Pocketfleet don't know if SR III proto is same as SM III & all that they have told me what it can do is on the website.......
Here in Australia it is law for car makers to have a std OBD system so that they can't lock diagnostics into dealers only - yet these machinery makers seem to be doing just that.
But I'm a dog with a bone on this! :drinkup

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Hi Alrman
I like like the pocket fleet diagnostic software .It has help me out like on a Sullair 375 compressor that the estop was sticking.But it was not sticking all the time.But showed their was track of it happening. I also use it on International truck you can do injector cut out tests with.I just used on a Bomag 213 rollor with cummins that had a fault store in the computer for an engine over heat.It gave me the cummins code and I was able to erase the code.The software will let you see rpm,fuel rate ,oil pressure ,temp and many others depending what the engine computer is seeing .You can see engine, abs ,body controller and transmission codes .And be able to clear them. I paid around $150 for it. thats not bad price .You can do alot with it.Works on many machines like john deere,case ,bomag ,lull , jlg ,terex and many more.Those are the one I ave used it on .And it worked great.Has made my job alot easier . Hope this helps.
Thanks
ED

Last edited:

fpgm04

Alrman,
Well the good news on a Case SR III is you can get the fault codes from the dash display. Therefore, you don’t need any diagnostic tools to read them.
In many cases you will then only need the fault code list to diagnose and solve the issue. There is of course the fault code list in the service manual, but perhaps your local dealer would provide you the information.

The software diagnostic tools can certainly be helpful, but in most cases the fault code description will go a long way to pinpointing and solving the issue.

If I was going to purchase any aftermarket diagnostic tools, one key feature I would want (if I did not own the service manual for the equipment) would be if the tool could provide the text description of the fault codes and possible causes for the fault.
In North America, diagnostic tools for on-road equipment are inexpensively available at many part stores as the information to support on-road equipment is freely available. Off-road equipment (construction equipment) information is handled differently by the manufacturers and consequently many of the diagnostic tools will have only limited capability on off-road(J1939) equipment.

For your consideration regarding working on a SR III without a diagnostic tool, you might want to put the dash panel display in digital text mode as you can see real-time data such as RPM , temperatures, throttle voltages, etc in digital text format.
Also keep in mind that the Case dash panel display will list both active and historic/inactive fault codes. Typically, you will be interested in the current active faults. Those will be at the top of the fault code list with the hour meter of occurrence matching the current hour meter value.

If you do decide to purchase the pocketfleet software, let us know how it works on a SR.
As I stated earlier, I will be surprised if it goes beyond reading standard messages on the SR.

Keep us posted on your progress!

t horn

fpgm04,tool king,
Thanks for your input.
I'm not having any problems at the moment, but I run a repair business & it bugs me when one of my SR customers rings & has some kind of engine fault & I can't do any thing about it.

Trying to buy a service manual for one of these is like you've asked them for the keys to old Jerome Increase's personal vault!
Obviously OEM diagnostics will never go on sale for your every day man on the street, I just need something that will diagnose faults on these engines. The system that is used surely is not a Case/Iveco ONLY system.
Pocketfleet don't know if SR III proto is same as SM III & all that they have told me what it can do is on the website.......
Here in Australia it is law for car makers to have a std OBD system so that they can't lock diagnostics into dealers only - yet these machinery makers seem to be doing just that.
But I'm a dog with a bone on this! :drinkup
buy them on line cheap price