• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 521D no 4th gear

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I have a 521D that wont go above 3rd gear .Dash shows number 4 in middle but only 3 dashes on right side light up.
This loader is new to me so im wondering if its just programmed to limit 3rd only.
Any input on this would be great .
Serial number jee01417xx

Mobiltech

Occupation
Any case guys with some input?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Sorry I can't be too specific here as I don't have any info at hand on these.
I would look at the speed sensor - on earlier models they would prevent 3rd & 4th from engaging when they failed...... your's is only 4th.....
Also, you need to look at the coil/s resistance at the transmission control valve.
Once again I can't be too specific, as there maybe a combination of coils energised to gain 4th gear.
So, if no one else chimes in here, a service manual is really your best bet........

Mobiltech

Occupation
Sorry I can't be too specific here as I don't have any info at hand on these.
I would look at the speed sensor - on earlier models they would prevent 3rd & 4th from engaging when they failed...... your's is only 4th.....
Also, you need to look at the coil/s resistance at the transmission control valve.
Once again I can't be too specific, as there maybe a combination of coils energised to gain 4th gear.
So, if no one else chimes in here, a service manual is really your best bet........
Ok thanks. I think it is limiting it through the control.
I found a clutch chart and I will check the coils.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Have you found your problem and repaired yet? One other thing to consider is that you need to make sure the trans controller doesn't have 4th gear locked out.

Last edited: