• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 480c swing is slow.

AngryGnome

Got this running after a few years sitting and the swing pedal were kind of stuck. I put some weight on one and heard a really loud pop. Now they are working but really slow. It almost seemed like they were locked or something. Anyone ever seen this? Everything else is moving good, although I should mention when I bottom out the boom the bucket will curl.
Sure wish I had a service manual.

Last edited:

franklin2

I have a 480c. I think I noticed when I push one pedal down, the other one goes up. I have never messed with it much, but it seems there is a lot of mechanical things going on there before it even gets to the hydraulic valve.

I tried to attach a 580c manual, but it is too large. I have the 480c manual also, but they seem to be mostly the same thing, and the 580c manual is easier to read. Not sure the best way to send it, it's compressed to 62KB

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Got this running after a few years sitting and the swing pedal were kind of stuck. I put some weight on one and heard a really loud pop. Now they are working but really slow. It almost seemed like they were locked or something. Anyone ever seen this? Everything else is moving good, although I should mention when I bottom out the boom the bucket will curl.
Sure wish I had a service manual.

I would not do anything before I uncovered the pedal and valve control rods and linkages, once the covers are removed the spool travel can be watched to see if it is going fully in both directions till it is stopped by full travel by the valve internals. do not assume a hydraulic problem till the externals are determined to be good. Machines that age generally have much wear and I would not be surprised if yours does also. I would clean, lubricate and adjust the pedals till they have a good uptilt, I have seen many wear till the pedals bottom on the floor before the spool strokes fully. there are clevises on the rods to make those adjustments. Let us know what you find.

AngryGnome

I would not do anything before I uncovered the pedal and valve control rods and linkages, once the covers are removed the spool travel can be watched to see if it is going fully in both directions till it is stopped by full travel by the valve internals. do not assume a hydraulic problem till the externals are determined to be good. Machines that age generally have much wear and I would not be surprised if yours does also. I would clean, lubricate and adjust the pedals till they have a good uptilt, I have seen many wear till the pedals bottom on the floor before the spool strokes fully. there are clevises on the rods to make those adjustments. Let us know what you find.

Will do. I've had it for many years. The swing worked fine last time I used it but I had been sitting for a few years. Good advice cleaning and lubing everything. What would cause the bucket to curl when the boom is bottomed out?

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
That hoe valve body has check valves that have o rings on them that are a known problem that cause exactly what you are experiencing, they are located under the secondary relief valve cartridges. Replace them all and use Case's Orings, garden variety Orings are not good enough for that application.