• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 480c Starts then dies...and other questions

frankdb

About a month ago I had posted here about getting a new piece of equipment. I got a lot of great advice on here and decided we would rent equipment first and then decide what we would ultimately buy. ..then my father went out and bought a Case 480c off an estate auction. I have experience working on gas engines for cars and motorcycles but don't know about Diesel, heavy equipment or hydraulics. My father has absolutely no mechanical knowledge so now I'm stuck trying to figure this thing out.
The machine is located a few miles from my parents house in the mountains so I haven't seen it yet. It has 4300 hours on the meter but I dont even know if the meter still works. I'm told that its in good condition and tires are nearly new. It does start and everything is operations. There don't appear to be any leaks. It starts easily but when you start to drive it, it dies pretty quickly. But then it'll start right back up. We're told the machine has been sitting for a couple of years so we were told to change the fuel filter. While I know there's some sort of priming process that needs to be done with the filter change, I don't know anything about it. But we did get an owners and service manual from the seller so I imagine the process would be detailed on there. I'm told that all of the fluids are full. The previous owner wrote some notes down with regard to filter part numbers, etc..so I'm hoping he took good care of the machine.

So aside from changing the fluids and filters, is there anything else you'd suggest that I do or take a look at? If the fuel filter isn't the problem, does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? I've read on this forum that a common problem with the 580's is the injector pump. I'm wondering if the 480 has similar issues?

Lastly, is it going to be alot harder to find parts for the 480c vs a 580? Seems like the 580 is way more popular.

Appreciate the help!

frankdb

Yes, the 480 has the same plastic flex ring as the 580 & will break up and clog the return fitting on top of the inj pump..
At least it starts, right.??
I read you mentioning this on another thread where someone with a 580 had a similar problem. Is this something I can repair myself or am I looking at dropping nearly $1k to get this pump rebuilt?

frankdb

I can tell you how to get it home..& after that, we can talk.
Send me a note at my home email.. it’s my screen name at aoldotcom
Will do. Appreciate the help! We found a friend of a friend that's going to deliver the machine to the house this week. But the cabin is 3 hours from me so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get there.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
If it’s a fr of a fr.. if he can’t get it on the trailer, he’s gonna b pizzed.. how about contacting me, so u can relay the “fix” to him..
I know I’d b pizzed if I drove 3 hrs to load a piece of equipment as a favor, and it started right up but moved two feet and shut off.. over and over and over..

Delmer

Will it keep idling forever, and just die when you try to drive? or will it die while idling also?

Easiest will be following TPG's advice and driving it a few miles if that's where it's going. Or load it with the backhoe pulling itself onto the trailer.

frankdb

Will it keep idling forever, and just die when you try to drive? or will it die while idling also?

Easiest will be following TPG's advice and driving it a few miles if that's where it's going. Or load it with the backhoe pulling itself onto the trailer.
I'm not sure. I haven't even seen this thing. My dad's getting older and I love the guy but he just makes these decisions sometimes that make me question his sanity. I told him to have this thing checked out by a mechanic before dropping $7k on a machine that someone told him works great.
I probably won't be able to get up to the cabin for a week or 2 to check this thing out. And my fathers has no mechanical knowledge so we're relying on friends and neighbors nearby.

frankdb

So from what I was told, it started pretty easily and ran for 5-10 minutes. It was driven down the mountain and when it got on level ground it died (not sure if that was just coincidence). It started back up again easily but then died again after a few minutes. Then started back up easily again, and died a few minutes later. From what I've be n reading on this forum it really sounds like the injector pump but I'm praying that it's not.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
frankdb,

I had the 'flex ring' issue with the hoe I bought...... and thepumpguy took care of me and mine.... for a lot less $$ than your thinking. Not to mention the invaluable advice needed to do the removal and re-install..... and I had no experience with a diesel. If you need to pull the pump you'll be 'in good hands'.

Sounds like you should be able to run long enough to load the thing...?

frankdb

I reached out to the Pump guy and he was super responsive and helpful (Thank you!). As I mentioned, I don't know anything about this stuff so the pricing was actually more than I was expecting but after looking at remanufactured ones as well as checking with some other shops that do the same work, The Pump guys pricing is very competitive. Plus, based on the posts I've seen on this forum and others, he seems like he really knows his stuff

edgephoto

As a former technical trainer and in my current role as a field service engineer I tell dealers "It is all about the illusion"

Delmer

That's typical behavior for a flex ring failure, to die after a couple minutes and restart easily after sitting a minute. You can clean the check valve in the return fitting on the injection pump, and it might drive more easily to get it home or loaded. Even punch out the glass ball and blow the fitting out completely and it will run even better. Shut it off if it starts surging, and don't start it again until the pump is rebuilt.

Welder Dave

I bet if I needed an IP rebuilt I could send it to pumpguy and get it back for far less than the shops here charge and I know it was right. The throttle shaft was leaking a bit on my track loader and the shop that did the engine said I needed an IP rebuild. There were no other issues. Bob/Ont said it's just a seal but there's enough room to install 2 new seals. He told me to carefully take the cover off so none of the linkage comes off the spring and install the seals. Problem solved for about $25 only because Cat seals are pricey. Some places really play on customers not knowing what needs fixing so upsell to ridiculous levels that aren't required.

frankdb

Thanks for all the replies. I plan on doing the check valve test to see if the IP is the problem. Thepumpguy sent me some detailed instructions. We're still waiting for the backhoe to be delivered. Hoping to get it in the next few days and then we'll check it out.

Mobilewrench

I can tell you how to get it home..& after that, we can talk.
Send me a note at my home email.. it’s my screen name at aoldotcom
Just want to say that I (as well as most anyone who spends time on this forum) am always impressed with your knowledge base and how ready you are to spend your time on these forums to help people.
In fact I am counting on those things when I ask you a question about a pump on a Cummins next week.

But, I honestly laughed when you gave out your email address. I don't think I can remember the last time that I sent or got an email from aoldotcom.

My hat is off to you. I was pretty proud about how long I have been rocking my yahoodotcom email.

Nothing to do with this thread, but I was recently pretty disturbed to learn that when Wilfred Brimley was filming Cacoon, he was actually younger than I am now.