• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 450b or 455b

jonassen525

Hi guys i am new here. i have a 450 case that has the serial number 3075459 i can not figure out if it is a 1983 450b or a 1983 455b.
Its a crawler loader the roll cage appears to have factory brown paint that is original the rest of the machine is the older little bit more orange color.
I am confused as i thought that the brown came out with the c models but that the rest of it should be tan if it has a brown cage. it appears to be right on the line of a b or c model it does have the 207 case engine. I have read so me where that a 455b maybe has wet brakes right before they went to the c model, could it be that these 455b models had a brown cage orange paint and wet brakes with the 207 case engine. someone please educate me.
It runs and works as it should and the brakes even work. I have so far taken the ripper off it and added a 20000 pound braden hydraulic winch to the back. it is in need of all new tracks rollers pads ect. the track chain appears to be original as well, they never even turned the pins just ran it into the ground. Its a clean machine with no leaks and the hour meter has stopped at 3600 hours. i have priced the tracks out and parts are about 5800 for everything and i am pretty capable of doing the work myself. I paid 3800 for this thing how did i do?

sheepfoot

Your machine will be a 450B due to the engine being a D207 engine. The 455 came out with the CDC engine 4-390, paint was changed to the brown cab and sweeps, this unit had the oil cooled brake system. Your s/n is after the 450 range and the non CDC engine would make it a B series. If it runs out good and fits your needs you did good. Track parts bring down the price fast when looking and buying used smaller crawlers, you could part it out over time and make some good $ even if you did not repair it. Nice find !!.

jonassen525

I found on the roll cage that it says my dozer is a 455b. in the ** case collectors association it shows the 455b with a 207 engine only 117 made of these models they made a 450c and a 455c model as well. these both show the engine in either c model as being the cummins. I am wondering if the 455b was the wet brakes of the c models showing up early and being used on a b model or larger tracks or something. anyone else have any further input? i know they made 850 and 855 ect dozers as well, i just can not figure out the difference.
I guess its not really important, i am just curious.