• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 450 tranmission oil change.

wb8reh

Hello to all, I just joined this forum.

I have purchased a 1970 Case 450 dozer and am trying to change the transmission oil.

I have no problem with both filters and draining the rear end, The manuals I have received
so far have no info on this part of the procedure and seems to be missing.

Anyway I have only got around 5 gallons out the the sump and it was full according to the stick.

It holds eight gallons and I would think I would get at least 7 gallons or so.

Do I need to drain the converter and if so what plug do I use or am I missing something else.

I used the dozer for around 10 hours and it works OK but the oil is filthy.

Thank You

sheepfoot

That is about correct, you will not get the full 8 Gallons out! You will have some oil in the cooler, converter and in the lines from the charge pump. You cannot drain the converter either on that unit, so around 5-6 gallons is all you may get on a drain and filter change.

hvguy

back when I worked at an auto shop, we disconnected the lines that went to the cooler and had a cylinder with a syringe like piston that exchanged bad oil for good oil using the vehicle's pump. thats kinda specialty, but it was the only way we could really swap almost all of the oil. Would be cool if there was something like this, but DIY for loaders/dozers
TT500-In-Use-red.png

wb8reh

not sure on draining the converter, however the 450 is similar to my 350. Here is the service manual for the 350 I uploaded.

Maybe itll help

http://www.mediafire.com/download/j5ykdkp42ve4qpm/350B_Crawler_COMPLETE.pdf

If draining the differential, be sure to use GL-1 oil if you have brake steering.

I am not sure if this is the way to answer the post so here goes.

Thank you for manual, I feel better now. it is quit different as I can not get into the reservoir that easy but I may rinse it out with diesel fuel as is recommended it will help get some of the crud out I am sure. I guess to do it correctly you need a line pump option.

wb8reh

That is about correct, you will not get the full 8 Gallons out! You will have some oil in the cooler, converter and in the lines from the charge pump. You cannot drain the converter either on that unit, so around 5-6 gallons is all you may get on a drain and filter change.

OK that makes sense to me I guess. I may change it out a couple of times as it is quite dirty. Thank you for the help

wb8reh

back when I worked at an auto shop, we disconnected the lines that went to the cooler and had a cylinder with a syringe like piston that exchanged bad oil for good oil using the vehicle's pump. thats kinda specialty, but it was the only way we could really swap almost all of the oil. Would be cool if there was something like this, but DIY for loaders/dozers
View attachment 159603

Thank you for the advice I may do that this winter. I think I can borrow one of these from a friend of mine.

Thank you all for the advice. I am a farmer and work on most of my own equipment but have never had a dozer.
I have wanted on since I was 5 years old so 63 years later here I am.

Thank You