• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 450 rattle

Outasite

Got a 77 450 case that I've had for about six years.When I bought it there was a rattle that sounded like the converter bolts were loose,so we pulled the converter out there are no bolts.It drives the converter with a fibre tooth ring gear.It was worn and loose so I bought a new one,put it back together and it still rattled.I called a case dozer gurus and he said that the ones with that type of drive all rattled.Im getting ready to sell it but don't want to if there is something wrong.Any one else ever heard of this?It does it at low idle,sounds quiet under load.

Outasite

I'm guessing,but idle speed seems normal,around 650.and i would say noise goes away around 1000 rpm.Or anytime there is a load on it.

Lawless

Is it a rattle that is heard at different spots around the machine? How loud of rattle is it?

My early 70s 450 has a rattle toward the front of the machine at idle. Always has.

As long as your oil pressures are good and everything is tight then I wouldn't worry about it. These things are dozers, not Cadillacs.

Outasite

I know where its coming from,its the fibre/bakelite drive that goes into the flywheel and over the front of the converter it transfers power from the flywheel to the converter.It has a few thousands of play.I just don't know if this is common on the older 450s Ive had it apart and put in a new one,and it is only slightly better.