• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1845C

Joel59

Talk to me about the Case 1845C. I have an early unit- split lap bar, and I have put about 400hrs. on it. When I bought it, it was pretty clean, and did everything it was supposed to. Actually, it still does. However, when I bought it, it was only showing 88 hrs. on the clock (obviously incorrect). I've read many threads about how bad it can be when a drive motor goes (replace both, and the tandem pump) and that has me nervous. If something like this happens, it really doesn't make sense to put $6000 into an $8000 machine. In your estimate, is it time to upgrade, or would you keep running it? It does need tires, and and drive speed on the left adjusted (creeps forward). Other than that, I have replaced the sprockets and chain on one side, fixed lights, and fuel gauge. I use it to plow snow, grade stone, lift with forks, and load my single axle. Keep or upgrade?

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
If it really does the things you need it to do, then there is no reason not to keep it.
For the most part they are extremely reliable if you keep up on the maintenance.
And if anything does break, most things are very simple to fix. (No emissions or computers)
Drive motors & pumps are much cheaper for 1845c than for newer machines.

I plowed snow with one for 20 years. In the end there were several things that made me get a newer machine.
I wanted 2 speed. More aux flow for a snow blower. Be able to run 37" dedicated snow tires.
But I also got a much more expensive & complicated machine to fix and maintain.
There's always a trade off.

heymccall

While drive failures are expensive on an 1845C, they don't happen overnight, at least on the 4 I have.
It begins with a slight loss of torque on one side, especially when hot. This will slowly worsen as the hours accrue. Eventually, after 500 or more hours pass after noticing the slight loss of torque on one side, it won't track straight, and after another 200 or so, won't move the lazy side by itself (moving just one handle).

So, I say, don't worry about it.

Swannny

Yeah, don't worry about it, just do a hydraulic fluid/filter change and go on using it.

Have you seen the selling prices of the 1845c machines lately? Almost 700 hr one in MI sold for around $27k last year.

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
1845C should be a rock solid machine, we did have some drive pump/motor issues but usually related to a blown hose and the operator tried to drive it a "short" distance. If you blow a hose STOP. Once the tandem pump starves for oil or sucks air....game over. Also run the engine at full RPM never idle or 1/4 throttle when you drive them. I know some throttle down a bit in a tight area but driving them at low RPM is hard on them too.

heymccall

Hardest things on mine have been 10 hours shifts running an Alitec high flow kit pushing an Alitec WS18 Wheel Saw, with NO additional cooling, AND, pulling wheelies (super stretching the drive chains).

I've got two 1845C torn down, right now, for siezed controls. Should have the one in the field up on Monday.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Joel59, I have to disagree with these people who say to not worry and keep the 1845C! As a fellow New Yorker I would be willing to take it off your hands and pay you 50% of the price you paid for it! I'll give you the ship to address!

All kidding aside keep proper oil and filters in it and only slightly abuse it and it should be good for years. Where I worked we had a 1989 1845C and when it was sold at auction about a year ago it still had all the original pumps and motors. If the abuse of being the clean up machine in a stone quarry for 30 years could not kill it I'm not sure what would.

John_8791

Occupation
Electrician and Farming
We have probably had 10 different Skidsteer‘s the most reliable by far has been the 1840 in the 1845. ANY machine you’re going to replace it with is going to be more likely to break down including a brand new unit.

Joel59

Thanks for the piece of mind, guys. I really appreciate it. I guess the only thing I've really been doing wrong, is not running it at full throttle. I'd like to hear a little more about that. I've always been of the thought that less rpms would be more "gentle" on the machine?

kshansen

Occupation
Thanks for the piece of mind, guys. I really appreciate it. I guess the only thing I've really been doing wrong, is not running it at full throttle. I'd like to hear a little more about that. I've always been of the thought that less rpms would be more "gentle" on the machine?
In my opinion running at higher rpm's is better as it keeps flows on things up better. If working in a very tight place where you need to be very careful it might help to cut rpm's down but other wise I would run at half throttle or better.
Would be interested in hearing others opinions on this!

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
In my opinion running at higher rpm's is better as it keeps flows on things up better. If working in a very tight place where you need to be very careful it might help to cut rpm's down but other wise I would run at half throttle or better.
Would be interested in hearing others opinions on this!

I seem that with newer machines because of the emissions (Dpf and such), that you need to run those machines harder to burn off the soot and not clog the filters.
Those probably should be run at more than 1/2 throttle most of the time. And not let them sit and idle.

With older machines like the 1845c, I don't think throttle is as big a deal. I always run mine at whatever speed I needed and didn't worry about it.
It seem happy being at chugging around anywhere above idle up to full speed.
The one thing I didn't do, was let it sit and idle. The main reason for that was safety. If the machine was running, the controls were live.
Way to easy to bump the controls while getting in or out. So good practice was to shut the machine off when getting out and restart it later.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have had 6 1840's from the 90's through the early 2000's. I logged a lot hours on those machines. They were/are great machines, mostly due to the simplicity. I kept updating from them to newer machines due to lower power and gpm rates, they were loud and just not as comfortable to run. They still have a place for guys that just need a ssl for occasional use or contractors that don't require a higher level of productivity out of it. As dependable as they are, I cant look back and say that I was sad to have replaced them. I sold an 1840 and bought a 70XT which was one of my favorites, then I traded that off on a 440 which was one of the best machines I have ever owned. I could move more material faster, I could run any attachment (it had 84 hp 4.5L engine) and dimensionally not much different than an 1845C, but with almost 600 pounds more lift capacity. I did have to deal with more safety switch issues for sure, but my increase in productivity more than covered for that. The 1800's are truly great machines and their reputation is well deserved, but you have to keep that in perspective to the scope of what your trying to do with it.

kshansen

Occupation
The 1800's are truly great machines and their reputation is well deserved, but you have to keep that in perspective to the scope of what your trying to do with it.

I can fully understand that! Makes a big difference if you are doing a bunch of work say at a major housing development compared to some guy who just needs to clean up around his barn on a relatively small farm.