• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1845C update....

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
10w30 goes in the chain cases.
My manual calls for 80w90 gear oil in the planetarys. That's what I've always heard and used.
OK, I dug out my 1845 book and it says:
JI Case part No. B53983 or Amercan MP Gear Oil

Did a Google on "American Gear Oil" and found this:
Product Description: MP GEAR OIL is a multi-purpose sulfur-phosphorus type hypoid gear lubricant meeting requirements of API Service Classification GL-5.

GL-5 is just your basic gear oil like 80W-90

But if it is a bit contaminated I would still start with the fuel oil flush followed by say 15W-40 flush and then once it looked clean go with fresh 80W-90.

What I always liked doing when flushing chain compartments on skid-steers was to raise machine up using the bucket and put large blocks under the frame and then lift bucket up slightly. If done right this will get all four wheels of the ground at once and you can spin wheels with no load on anything while using the fuel oil to flush things out.

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
OK, I dug out my 1845 book and it says:
JI Case part No. B53983 or Amercan MP Gear Oil

Did a Google on "American Gear Oil" and found this:
Product Description: MP GEAR OIL is a multi-purpose sulfur-phosphorus type hypoid gear lubricant meeting requirements of API Service Classification GL-5.

GL-5 is just your basic gear oil like 80W-90

Just curious, is that for an 1845 or and 1845C??

My 1845C manual specifies:
Case Gear Box Fluid, Part No B53983
SAE 90 EP Low Foaming API GL-4

thrashingcows

Thank you for the information and advice.

I had not thought of running some diesel/oil mix to help clean things out. I will run the 15W40 a few more days then drain that, then add a 50/50 mix of 15W40 and diesel....then run up and down the driveway a few times, if it looks clean then I will add the gear oil.

kshansen

Occupation
Thank you for the information and advice.

I had not thought of running some diesel/oil mix to help clean things out. I will run the 15W40 a few more days then drain that, then add a 50/50 mix of 15W40 and diesel....then run up and down the driveway a few times, if it looks clean then I will add the gear oil.
One thing I did think of after posting the ideas of flushing. How did the nasty stuff get in there in the first place? Point is you may have some bad seals that are not keeping the nasties out. Might be something to think about and if there is a time when you don't need this machine I'd be thinking hard about removing and resealing the drives. A bit of work and money but might save in the long run.

thrashingcows

One thing I did think of after posting the ideas of flushing. How did the nasty stuff get in there in the first place? Point is you may have some bad seals that are not keeping the nasties out. Might be something to think about and if there is a time when you don't need this machine I'd be thinking hard about removing and resealing the drives. A bit of work and money but might save in the long run.

Well the nasty black that came out of the LH side is most likely due to never being serviced.....I had a 727 tranny in an 87 D250 truck that had never seen a service dept, or had been decades since the last service. The fluid that came out of there was rusty brown and thick and chunky, and was the worst smelling fluid I have ever drained out of a piece of equipment. The black goo was a close second. ;) I did several fluid and filter changes on that 727 over the following year and it never missed a beat.

The water leaking in on teh RH planetary is most likely due to the several gallons of water that were mixed in the RH chain case with the white lithium grease. Must have Worked it's way past the inner seal. Once I have a heated shop/garage, building one this year so hope this coming winter....I will probably pull a bunch of stuff apart, drive axle assemblies, planetaries (now) and clean, repack, and replace seals, bearings etc as required.

kshansen

Occupation
Just curious, is that for an 1845 or and 1845C??

My 1845C manual specifies:
Case Gear Box Fluid, Part No B53983
SAE 90 EP Low Foaming API GL-4
Yes the manual I have is for the older 1845/1845S, should have noted that in my reply.

thrashingcows

Well I was using the Case today to pull cut trees out of the bush, so after a few hours of work I decided to drain the planetaries and see what the fluid looked like. Bit better....the RH side which was black tar-ish before, flowed out good but was still black as night. The LH side which had several cups of water in it when drained the first time was now just oil, but was "coffee with two cream" colour. ;) But some clean 15W40 in it again and will run it for a couple weeks and drain again.

Also installed a seat belt, since the original one was long gone. Just a lap belt for a 80's dodge ram. And then spent several hours trying to get the gauge cluster apart....the machine thread screws were just slipping in the weird rubber/brass inserts. Eventually had to drill the heads out of the screws, then install clips for regular screws. While I was in there I pulled apart all the electrical connects, cleaned and lubed everything and re-assembled.