• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 1845c cold starting

firecatf7333

i have a 95 case 1845c and its hard to start when cold out, acutally it won't start unless i give it a sniff of starter fluid. It does have a block heater and works good. Here is the problem. I leave my 1845c most of the winter at Amish household, and they have no power. Any other options while i keep it there to help start other than starting fluid? Previous owner told me about a heating blanket or to cover it up. The amish told me they put a torch to there 6 cycliner diesel engine that runs there sawmill. Idk where they apply the torch.

TheOldMan

Occupation
retired
When I was a kid, we had an old Mcormick Deering 10-20 that we used to grind feed in the wintertime. We used to go out and build a fire under the oil pan for a half hour or so to thin the oil out so it wasn't so hard to hand crank. Might work for you. As I recall, corn cobs did a great job.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
The backhoes here that were european built & use the 4-390 engine use a glow plug at the inlet manifold - never seen one on a skid steer as they are US build.
But some inlet manifolds have the plug in them to allow the fitting of the glow plug - maybe yours has it? May be able to order the required parts to fit? Would not be cheap.......

Attachments

• 580SK glow plug.gif
    580SK glow plug.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 2,496

Karl Robbers

That looks very much like the CAV cold start aid that many perkins diesels used, where a heating coil in the unit opens a check valve allowing diesel to flow over the element, thus burning in your inlet manifold and heating the incoming air. These work well and are cheap, I fittet two to a Cummins VT-555 and they worked really well.
You would need to run the necessary electrics as well as fit a small tank that would gravity feed diesel to the unit, (if you are really keen you run your injector return to this tank so it is always full). I simply found an area on the inlet manifolds to drill and tap a thread in, (1"unf if memory serves me correctly), then screwed the unit in and plumbed it in. If there is insufficient thickness of lack of flat spots on your inlet you can get someone to weld a pad on it of suitable size, then drill and tap.
These units have one big advantage over conventional glow plugs, that being the fact that they use far less current due to the fact that you are only heating a small element that then ignites diesel which provides your heat.
Just a little thought though, many diesels, Cummins included were sold with a "measured shot of ether" starting system for cold weather starting, so perhaps CORRECT use of ether may not be the big bogeyman that it is often seen as.

prudog

Does the machine simply click? The older 1845c's had some cold starting problems due to a wiring problem (wiring too small). There is a service bulletin related to this. There is a guy on Ebay that sells a booster solenoid with wiring instructions and a copy of the service bulletin. If you search Ebay for 1845c, you will have no problem finding it titled "case 1845c starter upgrade." I bet he would send you a copy of the service bulletin and it might (hopefully) be what ailes your machine as it is a relatively easy and inexpensive fix.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Willie59 posted a diagram of this, Ill sure he will pick up on this. My 1845 has the same issue

xcmark

Occupation
construction
it will need to turn over fast to start in temps below 20* , My perkins needed the starter rebuilt and it only gave me about 10*f better starting . Below 10*f a sniff or block heater is the only options. building a fire in the barn near it will help but who plans 3~4 hours in advance to get stuff running?