• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1845C chain case and oil.

Thechap

Occupation
Police Officer
I bought a 1999 Case 1845C late last year. Finally got around to checking the chain case oil. The chain case oil on the left (when facing the front of the machine) was to the top of the chain and was milky white and thick. The case on the right was okay. I am in the process of draining the oil and trying to clean out the remains of the white oil. The manual says to add five quarts of 10W30 to each side. Is this really enough? Anyone have any good ideas on how to clean out the old oil? Any help would be appreciated.

Z2898

Hi Chap, elevate the machine higher than the drain plug and let sit for awhile and drain. You can dump some solvent in as well to flush the residual. 5 quarts sounds right to me. The cases don't have alot of oil, just enough to keep chains and sprockets lubed. The white indicates contamination of course, probably water (check cover gaskets), but keep a close check on level in chain case. I believe drive motors with bad end seals will leak into compartment, increasing oil level as well. Keep a close eye on main hydraulic oil level. If motor seal is leaking hydraulic oil, level will go down as it fills the hydro, then in turn leaks into chain case. Hope this helps.

Thechap

Occupation
Police Officer
Z2898,

What kind of degreaser do you recomend using to break up this oil? Its as think as paste!

Z2898

Warm up the machine real good first. Drain the muck as much as you can. Put the drain plug back in. Dump a couple of gallons of plain solvent (Varsol) in the case. Run the machine for 10 minutes or so at all speeds but no load (no pushing) and then drain again. (The solvent will not hurt it for this length of time) Refill with oil. You may want to run it for a few weeks (depending on how much you use it) and re drain again and refill with oil.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Diesel works just fine & readily available!

xcmark

Occupation
construction
sounds like water or condesation in the chain case if its like milk but thicker. My buddies 1845 does the same thing , I wonder if its something to do with the case vent on that side? I would wash it out with diesel fuel not something with a low flash point like paint thinner! I think I would also add a QT of oil to the fuel for lube and I would use anything from gear oil to motor oil any type or weight for the rinse out.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Chain case covers can crack at the bolt that clamps them down or gaskets can leak, remove both covers, clean the gasket sealing area on the chaincase, put some silicone sealer on it and reassemble making sure the cover is down in place. mel.