• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1845c ('91) Aux Hydraulic Controls Help

Dmoneyallstar

Running a small hydraulic tiller off my aux hydraulics. When I press the pedal either direction the flow seems slow based on the slow rotation of the tiller. But when I bump the left-hand control handle up (towards boom-up), I get much higher flow and it runs the tiller great. Just kind of a handful balancing that control lever in the sweet spot between "slow" and boom-up, keeping right depth on tiller, and maintaining reverse speed.

Is this normal? If not, how does your 1845c controls work on your aux hydraulics?

Just trying to conclude if it's an issue or if it's just my ignorance. I can't find anything online, in user manuals or in my dealer shop manuals.

TYIA!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
First question I might ask is what flow does this tiller need? Some machines are built with "high flow" hydraulics for accessories that need that flow.

Next thing do you have a schematic of the hydraulic system, or can dealer supply one? Hate to say I'm not great at reading them but would think others here could read them and point you at something that might need checking.

One more question, have you used the hydraulics with any other attachments. Just wondering if the problem is in the tiller and not the 1845C!

Dmoneyallstar

I'm running a 3pt adapter attachment (has 3pt connections plus a hydraulic motor with PTO output). Its motor is rated for 14-20gpm, and my 1845c is 16gpm. Tiller is only a 50" and using it in an existing garden -- nothing severe. Only other attachments I've run on aux were just cylinders -- no motors.

I have the schematics, but...just wondering if someone out there with an 1845c can share their experience running a hydraulic motor-based attachment on their aux hydraulics.

Pressing the pedal I get very slow tiller rotation (i.e. 1 rev per sec). When i bump the left control handle up a bit, I get fast tiller rotation (3-4 rev per sec) which is plenty for tilling. There's nothing plumbed between the aux quick connects and the motor.

kshansen

Occupation
If you have the schematics is there any chance you could scan and upload them for people to have a look?

The way I look at this is there are maybe three basic possible problems causing this.

1. Something wrong with your machine not putting it's full flow out to the aux. connects.

2. A problem with the pump on the 1845C not producing it's rated flow.

3. Internal leakage in the attachment letting the flow from 1845C go to waste.

The fact that the speed of the tiller goes up 3 to 4 times faster when you "bump" the control seems to tell me that the 1845C is creating the needed flow but for some reason it is by passing the aux circuit and is getting dumped back to the tank. That is why I was hoping someone could have a look at the schematic to understand the flow and if there was a valve that might be stuck partially open causing the lack of flow to the tiller.

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
I can't say for 100% sure, but I don't think my plow turns faster when I raise the arms. At least I've never noticed any difference and I think I would have if it did change speed. However a plow is not a tiller, so...

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
I'm no expert, but after looking at the diagram. I don't see any reason why the arms/lift cylinders should have any affect on the aux hydraulic.
The circuits are in parallel and any fluid that passes through the lift cylinders first and exits to the aux circuit. So it should have minimal affect on aux speed/flow.

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
The power beyond valve is suspect in the loader valve. IIRC, it's just a sleeve with an O-ring.
Yes it is a sleeve that screws in the side of the main hydraulic control valve body:
Not 100% sure this picture is the correct one as I don't believe the OP posted the S/N of his 1845C!

power beyond.png

Rampli22

I know what you mean. It takes experience for these machines. The speed of the control can be adjusted according to need. And if the lever is in the middle between the upper and lower values, everything will work fine.

Yes, there is such a thing there that the slightest change in the lever position will increase the flow of the cultivator. Just make sure you balance the control speed and depth correctly.

Cultivators of small size have the same problem in control. Maybe this information will be useful to you, growgardener.com. Try practicing on smaller machines first.