1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Case 1840 Skid Steer Tandum Pump No Steering

Discussion in 'Skid Steers' started by chyer3, Oct 19, 2021.

1. chyer3

chyer3 New Member

Case 1840 ran low on hydraulic fluid. When refilled, bucket moves fine. Good motion and quick response to stick inputs. However, no movement - no forward, backwards, and no turning. The engine doesn’t sound like it is trying to make the skid steer move when pushing on the sticks. I know it is in the Tandum pump under the seat. Just not sure if it cavitated and needs primed or if air needs bled out or what. I’ve read where you need to put fluid directly into the Tandum pump, it just doesn’t explain where to actually do that at. Worked fine in the AM. Stopped for lunch. After lunch fueled up, topped off the hydraulic oil and that is when the issue started. Disengaged the valves to free wheel, drug it up on my trailer and brought it back to the shop. Here it sits.

2. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

Sounds like your charge pressure is way too low or gone. Filling the pump housing is only filling the case drain area. You need to check the charge pressure, its what fills the pistons in your drive pumps.

mg2361 likes this.
  3. chyer3

chyer3 New Member

I have a gauge, but I’m unfamiliar where to hook it in to check the charge pressure on the 1840. Any suggestions on where to hook in to confirm low or no charge pressure?

4. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

Is the tandem pump turning?

5. chyer3

chyer3 New Member

It’s a direct mount, as I am sure you already know, so it’s hard to see for sure. I do see it vibrate when I start the engine, it tends to vibrate quicker as I throttle up. Could simply be from the engine of course, though. One thing I do feel confident in, I believe I can hear the pump turning. I hear a metallic whirling noise, similar to a gear being spun.

6. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
    An old way of listening to internal noise was to put a metal bar on say a pump ant other to your ear. The noise transfers through it and you can quite clearly. :D

Vetech63 likes this.
  7. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
    Gees my proof reading is terrible, last word missing is hear.:)

8. alrman

alrman Senior Member

Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
    The no oil bit is scary! :eek:
    You could have charge pump issues, as mentioned above OR it could have stripped the drive shaft coupling, not allowing the the pumps to turn.
    Let's hope for the latter ....

You'll find some test procedures HERE

9. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

LOL..........what's a pump ant?:p:D