• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1840 Loader Drop Issue

gm@diezel

So I'm working on a Case 1840 skid steer that has a loader problem. Haven't worked on these much so this one I need a little help on. It is a late model 1840 with a late serial number. Has the issue with the loader dropping when you move the lever slightly in the raise position. Has lots of lifting power and strong hydraulics. So I replaced the poppet valve being sure this was the issue. Also cleaned the spool detent on the loader valve and pulled the spool to inspect that. All looked good. Also pulled the relief valve and the seals and all looked good there.

After replacing the poppet valve it seems it may have gotten a little better and operates the way it should with a heavy load but sometimes goes back to the old habit of dropping when you don't have anything in the bucket. Am I missing something simple? Does the machine need operated a while before the new poppet valve makes a perfect seal?

Thanks for any ideas.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
It kind of sounds like a linkage issue with the hand controls to me.

sherwood22

@gm@diezel did you get it figured? I have what sounds like a similar problem on our 97' 1840 and a case technician told me it's more than likely the cylinder arm seals. I have one side done and seals coming for the other but curious as to what your solution was!