• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1840 Hydrostatic Drive Issue Please HELP

Natek

That is a strange issue. You've probably already checked all the simple stuff but just the same make sure the reservoir is full of the proper fluid (10w30 motor oil I believe) and the filter is good.
I agree it sounds like the servos aren't stroking for some reason. You can check the pressure on the servo pistons by attaching gauges to the large ports on each servo end plate. In neutral the pressure difference should be zero and it should increase from there depending on load and how far the control is stroked. I believe you can also remove the end plates to visually inspect the servo housings.
This may be of some help if you haven't seen it already. http://files.danfoss.com/documents/11026743.pdf
This link doesn't seem to work. Can you send it to me please. Trying to figure out my 1996 Case 1845C with a weak right side drive. Seems normal in reverse. Need to know where to check pump pressures.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
When the thread started I was certain it would end up here, If it were mine I would get a flat thick piece of glass, some 400 grit wet emery cloth and using light oil I would first polish the brass piston cups, then figure 8 the piston block commutator area , if you watch carefully you can see when the wear areas come out, I turn the block every few turns to try to keep it as square as possible, if the brass plates were not so badly worn I would also renew them in the same fashion but as was stated they are pretty rough. I have done many of these and other hydrostat pumps in this manner with great success. An educated guess is that at some point in time drive hoses were changed with no regard to keeping the hoses and fittings spotlessly clean. I did this work in a professional shop where I worked for 50+ years and sent them out the door guaranteed. Looking back I see this is an old thread but my advice still stands for those who will be reading in the future.