• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 1840 help please!!

bottlefed89

Hi guys, looking for some insight if anyone can help..
I have a case 1840. While moving some material the other day, the machine stopped moving, and started making a whining sound. Upon inspection, the splines on the coupler from the flywheel to the tandem pumps had stripped. I replaced the coupler and the bushings, etc. Upon getting the machine all put back together, something seems a bit off in the steering. Everything works, but it's like the two sides don't like to work independently. From a stop, if you try to drive one side forward, and the other backward - not much happens... if you go forward/backward with both sides, the machine seems to work normally, but any skidding or sharp turning doesn't work. Any ideas or pointers on how to diagnose this issue?? Thanks

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Could be possible the loop hoses are crossed up some how?
The two hoses from each side of the pumps should go to the same motor.
Do the individual sides go forward & reverse? - just one side at a time.

Last edited:

bob_00

you need to start from the beginning why the splines strip ? splines wont strip for no reason i would recomand a pressure test of the pump something might get caught in the pump causing the spline to strip and damaging the pump

please note i am not a skid steer mecanic but i am use to work with hydrolic pump on a automated grabage truck fleet and most of spline striping were cause by pump failure sometime mounting problem like the bolt came loose but most of the time it was a pump failure

bob_00

Any Info on doing a pressure test, and acceptable pressure ranges??

most machine have a test port its like a quick connect fitting in most case, can i have your vin number to look in the part diagram here http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr57484ag39127 to help you find it ?? for pressure reading alrman might have the anwser he got more experiance on skid steer but in a small machine like this i would guss somewere in the 2200 - 2700 psi is something accaptable or call your dealer normaly they are helpful giveing this kind of info

but before all this you can try pushing the machine it a pil of drit or something see if its look weaker then before

bottlefed89

VIN is JAFO148835. I have to load a truck here in an hr or so, so i'll see if I can tell any difference... Thanks!!

bob_00

i did check the diagram and ther is multiple plug on that pump so i can t tell you witch one is the test port but wath you can do, to give you an idea is to hook a 0 -5000 psi to each line going to one drive motor and test it foward and reverse this side and test the other side after compare the reading and ask for spect at case from there if the pressure is weak you wil need more specialized help to find out wath is going on i hope it helps

bottlefed89

Ok, thanks for the help!! I just finished loading my truck, i load palletized material - most pallets are 1500-1700 lbs. I can normally push 5 pallets into a van trailer, and then get in and reposition them with a pallet jack. Today, I could hardly push in 3 before shuttling them forward....

bob_00

yes that sound like a weak pump make sure like alrman said that all the hose are at the correct place but i would recomand a pressure test on the unit you might ask a case tech for the correct procedure my local dealer have been more then helpfull when i did the power shuttle rebuild on my 580k backhoe giveing me the clearance spect for the clutch pack and the pump pressure i hope it turn out to be an easy fix not too expensive on your machine

bottlefed89

I think there were only 5-6 hoses total connected to the pump, i don't think it'd be physically possible to reconnect them incorrectly, but i did take pictures before i disassembled it, so i'll double check things.