• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1550 Dozer

Cat 236

Occupation
Excavating Company
A few months ago I bought a 1993 Case 1550 Dozer with Cab and Ripper it is low hours and really good looking. ( I suspect it sat at some Bush DOT Airstrip here in Alaska all of its days and just worked a little bit ) Anyone can tell me what to expect from it? It seems to travel awfully slow I have asked about this before on this forum and did not really get an answer. Thanks for any input. Cat236 Alaska

sheepfoot

Cat236, there were several in my area at one time, they were a good running machine and those that had them liked them a lot. we had a transducer set to check the pressures on the hydro stat, i had ran several customers machines and they had good power to ground and graded well. The only issue other than tracking and adjustments, was with the coupling shaft (hydro stat into the final) would strip out, most were around 3500- 5000 hrs.. I have not been around one in along time, i do have my case tech books on the 1550, i would change the filters and oil for the hydro system and pull up the floor at your feet and check the linkage and lube as needed, there was also a bypass on the dash, i will look and refresh myself also, their may be some other case tech's on here that have more info, was this the one( gov auction ) i saw awhile back? it looked like a nice unit.

rezod1

Cat 236 I had two of those machines, both ran well for 2000 hours and then started having hydraulic line issues. They were very good finish grade dozers with power angle tilt blades and good floatation and power to weight control. Our problems were vibration on the clamps holding the hydraulic lines in place wearing through the rubber keepers and causing a hole in the steel lines. The lines run all over that machine, and after realizing a leak problem, finding it was a pain. usually having to power wash the inside and lay there while someone fired it up a short time and ran controls until old faithful was located. It was not unusual to remove six or seven other lines to get to the problem and then really work at getting it all back together correctly. . Id say its a good machine if your not going to use it everyday, but off and on.

jeff6553

The center pedal is a " parking" pedal . When the engaged , lever is to the left , it bypasses fluid around Travel Control Valve, normally used to help warm transmission drive fluid on cold days, just start engine , leave engaged for 5min or so , then disengage by swinging park lever to the right ,allowing all fluid to the Travel Control Valve. I also bought a 1550 that had set for several years, had the same problem (slow travel, stall early at hard push). What I found was that the park lever would swing left and right ,but was not actually moving the linkage to the Travel Control Valve fully as it should. Remove floor plate, follow the linkage down to tcv, move park lever and make sure everything is moving correctly...( pretty well self explanatory when you look at it) mine was an easy fix, just a few squirts of Aerokroil penetrating oil and working lever left and right until everything moved freely,allowing all fluid to the TCV . Also. move antistall lever (T handle top left corner of dash) in and out and watch linkage , also connected to the TCV, it pushes in and pulls out but moves only app 1/8 - 1/4". These are very good machines and once familiar with it you can grade within 2" of an object with confidence. Hope this helps.