• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CASE 1150D Radiator

AU.CASE

Occupation
Grazier // Rancher remote NSW
Hi all,

As the coolant was due for a change I wanted to do as little to drain the old fluid without it running on the ground as it seems to kill everything out.

One thing I could not get at was the third drain tap inside the bottom radiator tank.

CASE-1150D_RADIATOR.COCK-TOOL-080811-DSC09066.JPG

After pulling off the RHS side curtains and skirt panel it can be just reached.

Not sure why CASE put it near the inlet hose (my 580SK backhoe is the same) and it is damn hard to get at.

Today I decided to get over this and made this simple tool which fits over the tap and spins it undone really easily from the front by reaching under the RHS (as viewed from the operator's seat) of the bottom tank of the radiator.

CASE-1150D_RADIATOR.COCK-TOOL-080811-DSC09070.JPG

These taps only need to be firm, firm enough not to come undone when you hand turn them will keep the coolant where it belongs.

With no other need for it, I have wired the tool in the front brace and labelled it to remind my why and where it works! :rolleyes:

Randy88

I've had the same problems on many of my dozers and equipment, the biggest problem is over time the petcock seem to seize up and not work no matter how gently it's tightened. We usually end up putting in new petcocks about every time we use them, they either won't loosen up or won't seat again after its drained. as for why they put them where they do, that would be a good question for engineering, I personally didn't see any reason why it couldn't be put towards the front with a slight angle on it so it could not only be viewed but replaced very easily and also put a small hose on it and drain it out the front and into a drain pan and nothing would get spilled. Believe it or not one of my dozers didn't even have a drain plug on the radiator and you were supposed to take a radiator hose off to drain it, did it once and then the radiator went into get cleaned and fixed there was also a drain plug installed to make the job a lot less messy the second go around. Nice idea maybe post it in tools made in the shop section and explain how you made it and also what the dimensions are of it, more will read it there than in the dozer section and be able to make their own. Thanks