• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1150

foursons

I have just aquired a Case 1150 (C ?). I think it is about a 1980 model or so with about 4500 hours on the engine. The rear right final drive has some issues as the rear sprocket is loose. The machine is sitting on blocks and the I can pull the rear end of the right track 5-6 inches side to side, including the large sprocket/wheel back there. That issue is one I'm going to look into but first I was trying to start the machine today (never had is running, as I just aquired it, but last person that had it, whom I trust, said it was running with no issues on the engine side of things when they parked it). I put new batteries in it today and did the following;

-checked the fluids, all looked good
-turned on the key by the lower right floor board
-Amp meter registered about 13 or so
-Went to turn the ignition swich, and when I did there were sparks at the alternator and some smoke.
-I turned the ingnition switch off asap, and checked all the wiring up front but found no visual issues.
-When I turned the key back on again, the amp meter registered amps for a second then "shut off" back to zero.
-I could hear a slight click almost coming from somewhere behind the dash.
-I turned the key on and off serveral times and each time it did the same thing.

Can anyone tell me where I need to start in an effort to find the problem? Is there a common weak selanoid or relay by chance I should look at? I am no electitian but can work through problems usually if I know where to start looking.

Right now I have the batteries pulled.

Thanks for any help you can provide. At a later date I will be posting to look for guidance on the final drive issue. Again, thank you for any quidance.

Rex

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to HEF foursons! :drinkup
Sounds like you have a direct short to ground -possible you have hooked up the batteries in reverse - the negative should go to the isolator switch near the floor.
If you have polarity correct - then try disconnecting the alternator as it could be at fault as the machine has been sitting a while.
The clicking behind the dash is a circuit breaker, it's just doing it's job.
The ignition switch you turned on causing the sparks at alternator has me a little confused - is it the battery isolator near your right heel or is there another switch on the dash?
1150C's had a manual fuel shut off cable & did not have any ign switches.......
Do you have an ampmeter or a voltmeter? Ampmeters read charge & discharge ........ 1150C's are 24v so the 13 you mentioned has me wondering what is going on.

Sounds like it has done the bearings at the axle shaft - hope the housing isn't too badly damaged for you

foursons

You hit the nail on the head. I just check the old batteries and compared to the new batteries the terminals are reversed. My mistake, I guess now I will have to check and see what I damaged. If if were the bearing that were out would it hurt to drive it up on a trailer? Thanks so much for the help.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
I wouldn't recommend driving it anywhere if the bearing has that much movement.
For it to have that much already means it has been driven for a while before being noticed. The housing will be all chewed up & maybe some teeth missing as well.
You won't really know till it is opened up. I'd hate to do more damage to it than neccesary.
If I had to move it I would call in a super tilt tray, winch it up on to the deck & take it where it had to go.