• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1150 Shifting Sticky

Does anyone know the reason for intermittent lock of the right hand side track?

When shifting normally from forward to reverse or reverse to forward, the right track will lock up as if the oil pressure is feeding both forward and reverse clutches? If you wait for 2-3 seconds it will consistently shift OK.

The case SN is 7301728 and is the old Case 1150 model.

Transmission pressure is consistent from 210-265 PSI, torque converter pressure is 45-50 PSI

Any ideas? I'm hoping its something simple..

Many thanks!

sheepfoot

I would check your final lube first, check your linkages for wear to make sure they are shifting into the detents fully, you could also pull the shaft end caps to see if the cap has groves or the rings are broken. The other thing is a blown gasket in the control valve, a trans hose that has come apart inside and blocks flow to the clutch pack or won't let it release pressure.

sheepfoot

Are you using your brake pedal before shifting from forward to reverse? There is also a chance that the clutch cutout is sticking (it will disengage the high/low clutch along with the power flow to that side), the brake hoses from the master cylinder or the master cylinder, may not be releasing the piston in the valve mounted on the front of the control valve. The cam arm on the brake housing that the slave cylinder works could also be sticking or the slave cylinder itself.

So there are rings on the valve spool? I'm starting to think... once in a while the lever will need a little bit of a sharp blow to make it move - as if there is a ring stuck in a groove or broken ring or very sticky detent then for no reason it goes away and shifting the lever is very smooth but that sticking of the handle is not directly related to the track locking up. Both issues are intermittent but not necessarily at the same time.

The machine does not have brakes working right now, never used for shifting. Oil level is OK.

So maybe I should remove the valve spool end cover and have a look?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Oil control rings for fwd & rev are on the rear cover under the caps item 45 in pic. LH & RH respectively. Look there first for your intermittent drive problem. If the rings are found to be broken & have been for a long time, it is possible you have a problem in one of the clutch packs.
Check the rings & replace if required. They should be a very snug fit in the groove & they lock together with a little hook on each end.
As sheepfoot also mentioned, the cover (#45) should not have any grooves in it.

Lower picture -
The problem with the control lever could be a dry /sticky detent # 20-22 - try loosening off item 22 a little, Maybe, check the spring & add some lube.

Attachments

• 1150 rear cover.jpg
    1150 rear cover.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 332
  • 1150 trans cv detents.png
    1150 trans cv detents.png
    113 KB · Views: 344

Seems with a closer look that when the right side track is locked up it also does not allow the left side track to make any function until you put the right side fwd/rev lever back into neutral. Seems like the pressure is getting to the brake side of the valve...? (brake pedals removed since a long time) Maybe I will get some fittings to test the pressure on the clutches before blaming the valve. Thanks for the great ideas, will let you know if we figure it out. :)

sheepfoot

I would do the end caps in alrman's pic, # 45 at the rear, remember to save the gaskets and shims for reinstall on each side. The control valve if you go in it, make some threaded rod with nuts to remove the cover on the rear of the control valve, it has spring pressure against it and can brake the rear cover if the pressure is not released evenly, the bolts are not long enough to let the pressure off the springs and it can twist the cover against the last bolts allowing it to crack

The rear ring on both sides had broken tabs. Guess I'm looking for parts..

sheepfoot

979, Yes that is what your looking for, the f/r clutches work off the back caps and the high/low on the front two. I would touch up the caps and put the rings in, like said they are easy to brake if not careful hooking them around the shaft groves. Test it quick and see if it solved some of or all of the problem. I would check the front caps and rings also soon just to know what shape they are in, kind of a pain to do.

Last edited:

Put two rings with broken tabs on LH side and worked the machine for about an hour today - so far no more issues shifting with the right or left sides... a bit confused but happy that its working normal. Thank you both for the very useful experience!