• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cargo securement

Grader4me

In the cargo securement standard 10 regulations it states that all securement devices (chains included) has to be marked with a Working Load Limit (WLL). This came into effect Jan. 1, 2010.
We have until Jan. 1, 2011 (grace period) to comply. We have been in contact with our chain suppler and they know nothing of it. They will soon have to be educated I guess..lol
This is going to cost our department big time as all new chains will have to be purchased.
I was talking to an officer at the scales and he told me that all trucks coming over the scales, the drivers are being told about this one year grace period.
My question..is this being pushed in the U.S.?

muzy

I always thought it was the law? wll on hooks and bomers, g70 stamped on chain links. If the g70 is not readable, the chain would be worn out. Tie down straps have tag sewen in and usualy a red thead over the length indicating that they are DOT, or TC compliante. muzy

mitch504

Hey G4me, I haven't seen or heard of this being pushed in SC, but in the US things like enforcement are so different from state to state. There is a big push to standardize things across all states and I see where that is good for the guys that run interstate (because it drives me crazy when we go out of state) but I don't like it because my state uses more common sense than others; and we all know government won't settle on common sense.
Any chains used in overhead lifting have to be marked G80 or G100 but it's usually with a tag at one end.

Grader4me

I always thought it was the law? wll on hooks and bomers, g70 stamped on chain links. If the g70 is not readable, the chain would be worn out. Tie down straps have tag sewen in and usualy a red thead over the length indicating that they are DOT, or TC compliante. muzy

I'm talking about the WLL stamped or tagged on the securement chain. We have 3/8 grade 70 chain.

National Safety Code Standard 10 Part 1, Division 3, Section 11 (4) states:
“On and after January 1, 2010, a person shall not use a tiedown or a component of a tiedown to secure
cargo to a vehicle unless it is marked by the manufacturer with respect to its working load limit.”

Transition and Educational Period
 Implementation of the requirement to use tiedowns which are rated and marked with a Working Load Limit will be phased in over a twelve month period ending on December 31, 2010

On and after January 1, 2011, each of the minimum number of tiedowns required under NSC 10 must be rated and marked with a Working Load Limit.

Last edited:

Tiny

Another thing to keep in mind is the attachment point needs to be rated also,Most stake pockets I have seen are not rated for much more than 5,000 lbs each. My boss bought 1/2 chains and thought he was cool but......

mitch504

If the chain is stamped G30,G43,G70 or G80 doesn't that say it has met the minimum working load limit for that size chain at that Grade?

Grader4me

Thats not what I'm reading into it Mitch..has to be marked with a WLL...just like the binders etc..I wish someone would prove me wrong though...:(

Grader4me

Another thing to keep in mind is the attachment point needs to be rated also,Most stake pockets I have seen are not rated for much more than 5,000 lbs each. My boss bought 1/2 chains and thought he was cool but......

Hummm..attachment points don't need to be rated in good old Canada...not yet anyway..

Tiny

Here the G 70 is the same as the working load limit and all we need.....Not sure the D.O.T. cops would know what anything else means.

Grader4me

Here the G 70 is the same as the working load limit and all we need.....Not sure the D.O.T. cops would know what anything else means.

I know the graded chain will give you the maximum WLL, and can't see for the life of me why they would want it marked with a WLL as well.
Now...I'm also hearing rumors that this might be changed in the regulations, as the U.S. is putting the pressure on. I certainly hope so. Just a rumor though..

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Take note of this

Got an email about this today......

Runaway digger fatality 'avoidable'

A Sherriff investigating the death of 24 year old beautician killed when a run-away wheel loader struck the car she was travelling in has called for compulsory training of truck driver on securing loads before they can transport goods and the registering of chains used when transporting heavy loads. In his Determination, Sheriff David Sutherland said the accident in July 2006 'could so easily have been avoided'.
The Michigan L190 wheel loader was being taken to a quarry in Kindeace when it rolled off the low loader and struck the car in which Christina Fraser was travelling on the A9 at the Tomich junction near Invergordon. The Fatal Accident Enquiry was told the 30t machine had a defective park brake and was secured by two chains with a braking strain of 4.5t or 5t.
Sherriff Sutherland said the accident could have been avoided if transport company Munro & Sons (Highland) had:
• Carried out a full risk assessment, and ascertained the weight of the machine prior to transportation
• Provided sufficient and suitable restraints including chocks and chains with a sufficient braking strain.
• Had a proper system of inspection of chains and kept records of each chain's safe working load
• Instructed its employees on the correct methods of load restraint and ensured their understanding the principles espoused in the Code of Practice
When the machine was been offered for sale Serimax Limited (formerly Umax Lid) it had a defective park brake, but this was masked by an unusual interlock system which operated the foundation brakes when the engine was running. The vendor had also previously filled the rear tyres with water to increase the machine's weight.
When the transporting vehicle started heading uphill, the defective park brake meant the wheel loader's full weight was restrained by the chains which broke and allowed the machine to run down the hill. Munro & Sons (Highland) had pleaded guilty to Health and Safety offences and its initial fine of £3,750 was subsequently increased to £30,000 on Appeal, and its Operators Licence was revoked.
Sherriff Sutherland said each load should be weighed before being moved and expressed concern about the level of driver training in so far as it applied to securing loads - especially heavy loads such as machinery. He also called for the compulsory testing and registering of chains and other load restraint equipment as happens when they are used for lifting.

heavylift

maybe they will want them marked with tags... same as lifting chains or chokers...

muzy

Secured with 2 chains? Even if they were 1/2 inch the trucker did not have a clue. That machen would need 6 3/8 g70. But with fluid in wheels.... your gusse is as good as mine. Pretty sad,pretty sad. Yup mistakes are made everyday, this is huge did this driver not have any comensense training. I just want to cuss. muzy:mad::mad:

mitch504

I hate people like that truckdriver. They do something like that and then everything gets worse for those of us who'd use four straps on their riding mower without the regs when government and the public overreact.

Randy88

Here the chain binders need WLL but the chains need a stamp of the strength like G70 or 30 or whatever and they use the lowest amount in the equation say for example you have a 5500 lb binder and a G30 chain then its only rated at the lower g30 chian and it takes more of them, they have been talking about going to all G70's but not as of yet. You can go with a higher grade chain but guys I've been talkng to have been having problems with them snapping off. The old soft chains will stretch as will the G70's but those G80's or G100 just snap they claim. The hook on the end also needs a rating on it or its red tagged and needs to be taken off the load.

Tiny

Pics of decals for some more info

Attachments

• 1 11 111 005R.jpg
    1 11 111 005R.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 737
  • 1 11 111 006R.jpg
    1 11 111 006R.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 791
  • 1 11 111 007R.jpg
    1 11 111 007R.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 727