• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can't switching axil/thumb operation from foot paddle control to right control stick buttons on 85D

Serega

Hi there.
Need advice on how to switch my thumb operations to the buttons on the right control stick.

I am a first time owner of 2011 John Deere 85D. (purchased less then 1 month ago) It came with a foot paddle control for the axillary/thumb hydraulics, and it also has two buttons on the right control stick (above horn button). Per owners manual, I should be able to switch the thumb operations from the paddle to the buttons by switching the toggle switch on the left side panel, however ones I do that and then press the buttons on the control stick, I can hear the relays click but still no thumb control. I have consulted with the local authorized dealer (PAPE Machinery) and they weren't helpful at all. Just said my excavator didn't come with that option. To me it looks like everything is wired and there is just some valve or hydraulic hose that I need to switch? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Serega;)! Is your foot pedal pilot control (hydraulic operated) or is it a potentiometer? May have to remove sheet metal under cab to look (hoses or wires going to pedal).

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
Request a hydraulic and electrical schematic from your dealer with that you will be ale to fix most problems including changing the pattern control for the thumb.
Kind regards
Uffex

Serega

Welcome to HEF Serega;)! Is your foot pedal pilot control (hydraulic operated) or is it a potentiometer? May have to remove sheet metal under cab to look (hoses or wires going to pedal).

Hey thanks for a response. The foot pedal is hydraulically operated... (and the buttons on the joystick don't do anything until I switch that toggle switch on the left side panel, and then I can hear the relays click ones I press one or the other button, but like I said, still not movement of the thumb.)

Serega

Good day
Request a hydraulic and electrical schematic from your dealer with that you will be ale to fix most problems including changing the pattern control for the thumb.
Kind regards
Uffex

Thanks for a response. I really wish I could get my hands on those schematics. I looked all over the internet for those, but can't find anywhere. Unfortunately the only John Deere excavator dealer in my area is PAPE Machinery, and let me tell you, they have not been helpful at all. I had to buy few parts for my machine over there and every time I would show up, there would be 2-3 guys sitting behind the counter and all of them would just stair at their computers, and it would take some time few min for one of them to acknowledge me and ask what I need, and they are always look like they are ticked off or something. And every time I would ask for this or that part they would look at me like a dear at the headlights, and always first say, "I don't think we sell that, but let me look"...
but anyways, thanks for the tip, I think I'll stop by there again and see if I can have any luck.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Serega
It sounds like you need a couple of proportional valves, about the schematics there are some real helpful guys on the forum try a appeal for those if you have no luck I believe that JD are related to Hitachi which we have information that may help if you can point out which relative is which. Do not give up I am sure you will get the operation to go your way, sorry to hear about terrible service.
Kind regards & keep smiling.
Uffex

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Since your pedal is hydraulic, then you will need a kit (see attached) to make the handle work. This kit is not installed at the factory. It is installed by the dealer if a customer wants the lever to work the auxiliaries. Be aware though with the handle kit you will not be able to feather the thumb. It will be either on or off. If you want to be able to set the flow look at the parts list in the instructions and it will tell you what you need for flow setting (not part of the kit). At least with the flow setting setup you can set the thumb to a manageable speed so it does not "slam" back and forth.

Attachments

• 85D TWO WAY AUX.pdf
    384.5 KB · Views: 32

Serega

Since your pedal is hydraulic, then you will need a kit (see attached) to make the handle work. This kit is not installed at the factory. It is installed by the dealer if a customer wants the lever to work the auxiliaries. Be aware though with the handle kit you will not be able to feather the thumb. It will be either on or off. If you want to be able to set the flow look at the parts list in the instructions and it will tell you what you need for flow setting (not part of the kit). At least with the flow setting setup you can set the thumb to a manageable speed so it does not "slam" back and forth.

mg2361 thank you so much for your advice and especially for the instructions and the schematics that you attached. This is very helpful and I think this is exactly what I need to make the buttons work. And the great news is, I think I already have this Two-way Electric Solenoid Valve and all the hoses installed on my machine. I believe right now it is wired to be activated with another foot switch (not the same factory foot paddle that operates the thumb) that is located inside the cab. I was told it was for operating a breaker attachment, and currently it operates a thumb only in one deration. I guess I might just need to buy the wiring harness (23) and follow the instructions on connecting it to the buttons on the joy stick. It would be awesome if I also have that pressure reducing valve already installed as well, I'll have to check.
Can I ask where you get these kind of instructions/schematics? I have been looking for the hydraulic and electrical schematics for my machine..

Serega

I work for a John Deere dealership.
ah.. I see..
Hey wondering if you may know regarding this... So, the left and right rotation on my excavator is little wobbly/loose. I mean like when I rotate and then stop, it kind of has that wear-wobble. And it's fine for general work, but for something precise like stacking up a retaining wall or something, it would be quite annoying. So my question, is it pretty much an indication of worn off gears and they would need to be replaced in order for that to be fixed, or is there so relatively easier and less intrusive way of fixing, adjusting or tightening that? like some sort of a tension bolt..

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
If it is swing wag, then there could be swing gear wear which can only be replaced to fix. I would also check the swing gear bath for grease. If it is like a forward/aft movement (tilting) of the machine then it would be swing bearing wear. Again the only fix is to replace. Also, and the first thing I would check, is for slop in the pins and bushings at the base of the boom and arm to boom connection can give you a lot of side to side play when you stop your swing. Has the swing gear and the swing bearing been greased every 500 hrs?

Serega

Hey mg2361 thanks again for the response. It is a swing wag... I just didn't describe it in the right words. So you are saying the only fix is to replace, huh? That sucks.. I just bought the machine, so not sure if it has been greased every 500 hrs, but if the amount of excess grease found on all the pivoting points is any indication then I would say it is well greased. I will have to check the swing gear bath though..

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Forgot to mention. Also check your swing gearbox mounting bolts. I have seen them come loose causing the gearbox to pivot back and forth giving the impression of excessive gear wear.