• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

can i use heat to get gland nut loose.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
It might help if there is loctite on it. If it has a nylok nut it will melt the nylok and you will need a new nut.
What size nut on what brand of cylinder?

Delmer

A picture might help, some styles really benefit from peening. The main drawback is ruining plastic or rubber parts.

cosmaar1

can i use heat to get gland nut loose?
Heat is last option. Try the “peening” method, using a spanner wrench with a big ole bar behind it, or pipe wrench. Those have been my success stories, however I have used a bit of heat also at times.

Welder Dave

Would really help to know what machine and what cylinder? Your question is too generic. Peening won't do anything on a cylinder with the gland nut threaded on the outside of the barrel. It's a gland nut and not a rod nut?

rumblecloud

Occupation
Living the dream...:]
A couple of images will help some as well as the type of cylinder and the machine itself.