• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can I go up this hill?

toomacho

Occupation
High School Teacher
This is a hill that I need to go down then back up on my property. There is an area that I would like to dig out for a small pond there. I am not too worried about going down the hill, but am wondering if this is safe to go back up!:eek:
My machine is an 863. Just for the record, I have had no trouble going up with a Kubota L2900 or even a Ford 8-N tractor in the past. Guess I could back up the hill if needed. I am still getting used to this machine and it feels like it could go over anytime I get it on a hill!
What do you think?

Attachments

• steep hill 002.JPG
    steep hill 002.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 1,503

mudmaker

Dont know about a bobcat, but my Case would have no problems there. if you are unsure put some dirt in the bucket the first time.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
nose down, back up.
she'll be fine.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The thing about skid steers, they are stable up and down on a slope with the heavy end pointed up the slope. Sometimes this means backing up with and empty bucket or driving forward up the slope with a loaded bucket. Skid steers are not as stable on a slope side ways. Most of your rollover occurances are due to the skid rolling on its side due to a steep slope or drop off. In 20 years of running skids, I have stood them on their ends and on their nose, knock on wood - I have never rolled one over.:cool:

Get a nice load of dirt in the bucket and try going up the slope slowly. I wouldn't try it when it is wet. The 863 is a good machine, I had one for a while, although the Duetz engine left a little to be desired IMOP.

td25c

Do as the other members have said by climbing the hill with some dirt in the bucket.In time you will get a good feel of the skidloader.When in steep or rough terrain keep the loader down until you are back on good terrain.And keep movement slow and steady.

joedirt

Steep Hil

One thing a guy may look into would be a 4 in 1 or clamshell bucket. It's been my experience that this extra weight of the bucket will help the stability of the machine when climbing steep hills. This has been proven several times when we load our machine onto our equipment hauling trailer. The machine will tend to wheelie when loading with a standard bucket and will load with ease with our 4 in 1 bucket. :my2c

toomacho

Occupation
High School Teacher
Going for it..

Thanks for the excellent advice. I think I am going to go for it. I live in the North GA foothills, so I might as well get used to working around these hills!:yup
I also must say that this is one of the best forums that I have ever used. I am a member of several other clubs and many times I see people flamed because of noobee type questions like mine! I appreciate the courtesy.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I also must say that this is one of the best forums that I have ever used. I am a member of several other clubs and many times I see people flamed because of noobee type questions like mine!

Any operator out there was a noobie at some time.;)

bill onthehill

Yes we were. I learn a lot from the forum. Now if I could just remember more of it! The best advice I can offer is watch those wet leaves and always wear your seat belt. My hill is a lot steeper than that and I have slid my RTV in 4wd low range on leaves.

Cretebaby

Any operator out there was a noobie at some time.;)

This is true

But to me there is a differemce between a noobie question and a question from someone that obviously lacks commmon sense and should not be let within 10' of any peice of machinery

PS This is in no way directed towards Toomacho

xrlentau6

Occupation
Desk bound and needing to get outside
Doesnt seem like much of a hill, but saying that I once did a job where it was as step as anything you would want to take a 753 up, at the end of the day I took a few pics got home and looked at the pics and was thinking it didnt look to steep.

Things always seem steeper when your the one in the machine. But yes much better to be asking if you should be going up a hill like that rather than asking how do you get a skid back on its wheels.

Attachments

• 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,045
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,049
Last edited:

toomacho

Occupation
High School Teacher
Still upright

Nope, Im still alive! :pointlaugh It has been raining pretty steady the past few weeks so I put that project on hold. The hill is MUCH steeper than the picture shows for some reason. When I posted it, I thought that it did not look like much either.
It is fairly steep, takes a left turn as you go up and has lots of rocks and roots to keep things interesting!
If you see another thread on how to get an 863 back upright, welll then you will know that it didn't go so well.:eek:

xrlentau6

Occupation
Desk bound and needing to get outside
Those pics cant be in South Australia, it never rains here: D

Remeber that one time in 1978?

Nah it was last year, second day into the job and down it came, lucky by then I had a pretty good track and didnt have to go on the wet grass. One of those jobs where it had to be done.

Who ever dug the footings, dug them out loaded in to a truck and dumped on the next block, and then the people next door ring up and say they are ready to start building so move it now. I didnt mind as thats the kind of work i like doing, just not so much in that area with the hills. Is up near Hewett takes twices as long to load the truck as normal.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
Those pics can't be in South Australia, it never rains here: D

Welcome to the forum, TractorAU. Squizzy will be pleased that another croweater has joined up. If it never rains in Adelaide, what do you think it is like out here where we are on YP. Adelaide gets more rain than we do. I don't think I have ever seen it as dry as what it is now.

Rn'R.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Welcome to the forum, TractorAU. Squizzy will be pleased that another croweater has joined up. If it never rains in Adelaide, what do you think it is like out here where we are on YP. Adelaide gets more rain than we do. I don't think I have ever seen it as dry as what it is now.

Rn'R.

More Croweaters...:Banghead:Banghead

Rain....rain only comes when I pour concrete...its April, and I'veonly done two pours this year and guess what...two days of rain:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead

I saw a pigeon yesterday..he was flyin backwards to keep the dust outa his eyes

TractorAU

Occupation
Construction
Thanks for the welcome Rocksn'Roses, one by one us Croweaters will take over the forum and i'm sure Squizzy will be a Croweater too before long.

Hendrik

More Croweaters...:Banghead:Banghead

Rain....rain only comes when I pour concrete...its April, and I'veonly done two pours this year and guess what...two days of rain:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead
Now now now be nice, I have been to WA (have stamp in passport to prove it and customs made me sign a declaration) and I could tell you all sorts of tales about the nice folks over in the west.
Anywho I poured a slab the other day and it didn't rain but it sort of half showered for about 3 minutes today but I have a retaining wall to finish, that might do it:thumbsup