• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

can I change the pattern on John Deere 310C?

apm

I've got a John Deere 310C and a Komatsu excavator. Spend much more time on the excavator and would like to change the backhoe to the same "sae" pattern as the komatsu. Does anyone know the best way to go about it?

Thanks,
Greg

sheepfoot

I would contact your jd dealer and ask if they have a tech sheet that tells the parts/parts switch needed to switch the pattern. Looking on the 310C parts pics, they don't show any parts other than the deere pattern for two lever controls. You may need your s/n when you call or run by since it shows a different control lever bracket depending on the s/n. It may be just switching some parts in that area or re stack of the control valve. A hose swap will not work due to the relief valves are different. It maybe easier to change the trackhoe pattern also.

apm

I would contact your jd dealer and ask if they have a tech sheet that tells the parts/parts switch needed to switch the pattern. Looking on the 310C parts pics, they don't show any parts other than the deere pattern for two lever controls. You may need your s/n when you call or run by since it shows a different control lever bracket depending on the s/n. It may be just switching some parts in that area or re stack of the control valve. A hose swap will not work due to the relief valves are different. It maybe easier to change the trackhoe pattern also.

Thanks, Sheepfoot. I honestly hadn't thought about calling a dealer. I did call this morning. They weren't aware of how it could be done, but promised to "look into it" and call me back. Here's hoping they can come up with something simple.

Switching hoses looks simple enough, but restacking the control valve looks a little trickier. Wonder if I could just switch hoses and relief valves? I'm surprised no one seems to have done it, before.

Greg

excavator

If I remember right there used to be a linkage kit available for this but I think it was a wholegoods kit so it doesn't show up in the parts catalog and it's likely not available any longer because of the age. Like sheepsfoot said, you can't just swap hoses. But to be honest with you I've done it and have never had a complaint. If you are the one running the machine I would dare say it would work fine and not cause any problems.

apm

If I remember right there used to be a linkage kit available for this but I think it was a wholegoods kit so it doesn't show up in the parts catalog and it's likely not available any longer because of the age. Like sheepsfoot said, you can't just swap hoses. But to be honest with you I've done it and have never had a complaint. If you are the one running the machine I would dare say it would work fine and not cause any problems.

Thanks for your input, excavator. What's the potential downside to just swapping hoses? Do you lose power at the stick? What else might happen?

Greg

580bob

worst thing you can do changing hoses spools and relief valves for every function made different and set to different relief settings but you can do what you want been working on these for 40 years and hear this hose swap bs from shadetree mechanics who know just enough to be dangerous or they heard about it at the coffee shop then have to go fix bent rams blown hose etc and give them a big bill and change the hoses back.

excavator

Well 580bob, I'm far from a shade tree mechanic. I've also been doing it for 40 years and I know enough that just because someone says it can't be done does not mean it can't be done. Like I said, I've done it and have had no problems. The last one I did was probably 5 years ago and it was a Deere 310SG for a local contractor.

580bob

just look in the parts books and service manuals different spools and different relief settings especially on boom do what you want but its not right

apm

just look in the parts books and service manuals different spools and different relief settings especially on boom do what you want but its not right

Never heard back from the dealer, so called again this morning. Promised to "call you right back". Looks like that's going to be a dead end.

Has anyone ever rearranged the valve stack on one of these?

Greg