• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can anyone identify this hydraulic fitting?

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
I’ve taken this around to 3 hydraulic shops in my area and nobody knows what it is. It’s in a control block on a pump, and it’s a test point, to connect a gauge. I just don’t know wth it is, so I can get the right adaptor.

Attachments

• IMG_0052.jpeg
    IMG_0052.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 89

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Thanks guys! Yep it's an EMA3 series. Never seen one before. The OEM of the machine, which is a Candian company, said it's called a 1/4PF fitting, which made no sense to me. Maybe that's a Canadian thing, I don't know. I like telling stories, so here's this one: I took a few pictures of this fitting on the machine, because I didn't have an appropriate plug on hand to allow me to take it out. I took those pics to a local Parker store, we'll call it "store A", showed them the pics, told them the dimensions, said it was a test port to connect a gauge to, etc etc, and just more or less got blank stares. Nobody knew what it was, and I talked to 3 guys there. OK, pound sand and move on. I went back to the machine, got a plug, took the fitting out, and took it to another location, we'll call it "store B". The guy there instantly knew what it was, but didn't have the adaptor in stock. So I asked him to order it and send it to store A, because that was the one closest to my shop. A day or 2 later, I got the call it was in, and went to get it. It was what I was looking for! The same 3 guys were there, and I asked them "what do you call this fitting?" and they said "oh yeah, real common, that's a test port". I'm thinking all y'all can kiss my a$$. So I got what I needed. This fitting cost almost 100 bucks! And people wonder why we gotta charge over $100 an hour for the work we do. Criminy.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 23

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Never knew what they're called but I've seen those test port fittings on tons of equipment.
You profile suggests you're in Canada. I wonder if this really is a Canada thing. I'm down in the states and while I am far from expert in this field, I've never seen one, until now. This is kinda funny!

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
You profile suggests you're in Canada. I wonder if this really is a Canada thing. I'm down in the states and while I am far from expert in this field, I've never seen one, until now. This is kinda funny!
I don't know. Most pressure test kits I've seen come with those. I just did a bunch of pressure checks on a fuel system of a Case tractor and all the test lines had that style of quick connect. Even a JLG gauge set at one shop I worked at had those too.

excavator

I’ve taken this around to 3 hydraulic shops in my area and nobody knows what it is. It’s in a control block on a pump, and it’s a test point, to connect a gauge. I just don’t know wth it is, so I can get the right adaptor.
Gotta wonder about a hydraulic shop that can't identify that fitting. EMA3 fitting have been used on many brands of equipment for well over 20 years.

excavator

Thanks guys! Yep it's an EMA3 series. Never seen one before. The OEM of the machine, which is a Candian company, said it's called a 1/4PF fitting, which made no sense to me. Maybe that's a Canadian thing, I don't know. I like telling stories, so here's this one: I took a few pictures of this fitting on the machine, because I didn't have an appropriate plug on hand to allow me to take it out. I took those pics to a local Parker store, we'll call it "store A", showed them the pics, told them the dimensions, said it was a test port to connect a gauge to, etc etc, and just more or less got blank stares. Nobody knew what it was, and I talked to 3 guys there. OK, pound sand and move on. I went back to the machine, got a plug, took the fitting out, and took it to another location, we'll call it "store B". The guy there instantly knew what it was, but didn't have the adaptor in stock. So I asked him to order it and send it to store A, because that was the one closest to my shop. A day or 2 later, I got the call it was in, and went to get it. It was what I was looking for! The same 3 guys were there, and I asked them "what do you call this fitting?" and they said "oh yeah, real common, that's a test port". I'm thinking all y'all can kiss my a$$. So I got what I needed. This fitting cost almost 100 bucks! And people wonder why we gotta charge over $100 an hour for the work we do. Criminy.
The 1/4 PF will be the thread pitch that screws into the machine. Should be the same as BSPP.

Welder Dave

What Canadian machine is it off of? I know some people knock Canadian machines but there are some really good Canadian machines. No shame in having one.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
The 1/4 PF will be the thread pitch that screws into the machine. Should be the same as BSPP.
That’s right! I found out it’s a -4 BSPP oring base. Not easy to come by in the US :) I never found any reference in any catalog or search to 1/4PF. The guy even told me it was a tapered thread, going into the block, which is total BS. I just found it by shotgunning parts until I found one that fit.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
What Canadian machine is it off of? I know some people knock Canadian machines but there are some really good Canadian machines. No shame in having one.
I got no beef with Canadian machines at all, it’s just this particular fitting, and most importantly their terminology to describe it were totally foreign to me, so I jumped to a few conclusions there. It’s a Concord pump mounted on a Mack chassis. The pump is a fine machine, it’s a lot like a Schwing. Once I figured that out, I’m in good shape :)