• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can anyone identify this crane?

4x4

I bought this at an auction and have yet to find a name or data plate. Searching internet pictures has proven to be hopeless in finding something similar. It has a Chrysler industrial flathead six cylinder with casting numbers from the 1950's, a Rockwell toploader front axle with air brakes, rear wheel steering and articulated steering, Gearmatic winch, telescopic boom, and it looks like the original paint was yellow. Any tips on the make, weight or capacity are appreciated.

Attachments

• rsz_july2013_045.jpg
    rsz_july2013_045.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 785

norite

Looks like or similar to what was called a "BULL MOOSE" crane. I know where there is one local to me, I will try to get you a picture and some info in a little over a week when I get home. I am working out of town at the present. The one I am talking about has been sold around the local area to a couple of guys, it gets moved around but nobody has put it to work yet afaik.

wornout wrench

It reminds me a bit of a blue chip forklift, they were very popular on the westcoast years ago, 4 wheel drive, rear axle steer and articulation joint, kind of like an early rough terrain model.
I have never seen one set up as a yard crane but that doesn't mean they were never built.
All the Bullmoose yard cranes that I worked on were ridged frame and the rear wheels were on a steering post so really close together. Type bulllmoose yardcrane into google images and you will see what I mean.

norite

It reminds me a bit of a blue chip forklift, they were very popular on the westcoast years ago, 4 wheel drive, rear axle steer and articulation joint, kind of like an early rough terrain model.
I have never seen one set up as a yard crane but that doesn't mean they were never built.
All the Bullmoose yard cranes that I worked on were ridged frame and the rear wheels were on a steering post so really close together. Type bulllmoose yardcrane into google images and you will see what I mean.

I think you are correct, me bad (memory). :pointhead Now that I think of it the bullmoose is as you describe it. The one pictured in this thread does in fact resemble those big blu chip forklifts but with a crane boom instead.

I did do a google picture search. I was looking for an example to put here. I found a couple of poor quality pics, not exactly like the crane I know about, but there were lots of pics of real bull moose to look at. :cool2

4x4

The Bull Moose was a good guess with the boom up front in a similar manner and some of the controls and small parts look the same, but the cab on the Blue Chip does look the same. The trouble is searching for Blue Chip equipment brings up unrelated companies. Does anyone know where or who made them?

61BG

Bullmoose had a somewhat dual wheel "tiller" rear steering, almost like a Scoopmobile loader, or a Dart or Wagner log loader. The other make that this looks like is a Silent Hoist made in Brooklyn,NewYork. Just my 2cts.

tonysandler

Well I don't have much idea about cranes, but this is looking amazing. Love to have a ride over it. I had even goggled this image, but didn't find anything that might be of your help. I will discuss about this crane with my friends. If finds something, then definitely post it here.

Tugger2

Blue chip would be my first guess. Or maybe Pettibone,they made some articulated cranes mostly for railway use.

72hayes

Occupation
road builder
The cab looks Blu-Chip which I think were made by American Hoist & Derrick.
But I think Patrick had some forklifts with rear steer and articulating.

sansorino costanzo

Bull Moose Forklifts were originally manufactured in Vancouver, about 1942. The factory was on 7th avenue one block east of Main Street. Then later, moved to Surrey or Langley B.C. Then the Company was purchased by a large American Manufacturer, and as I understand they manufactured more than Forklifts. I walked by the Factory daily when I went to school. Later, about 1960, I purchased a used Bull Moose forklift. I sold it in 1983. About ten years ago I was in the Israel, and at a restaurant in Jaffa above eastern the old Port and noticed one of the original Bull Moose forklifts working. it was a good product.