• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can anyone diagnose this?

viking1

Hi Folks. I have a Case 855D that is smoking a lot of blue out past the radiator when it warms up (more as it gets hotter). I thought it might have been an injector, so I threw in a new set. Still no change, so I just put on a new turbo. Still no change. Its running OK, although I think I detect a slight miss at idle (barely perceptible). I haven't really given it much of a test since I did the turbo today, will do tomorrow. The coolant is clean and at full level, and it doesn't overheat. Is it possible I blew a head gasket in a spot that just lets oil in a cylinder? Cracked head? I'm really pretty stumped, but I guess a compression check is the next step (even though its running well)? Appreciate any & all suggestions.... :)

Attachments

• IMAG0006_BURST002_COVER.jpg
    IMAG0006_BURST002_COVER.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 36

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
You want us to diagnose a BLUE smoking problem w/ a "description" of the parts you've changed & a "picture" of a stationary machine?? Atleast post a video..
You do know BLUE SMOKE is OIL, right? How about checking the oil LEVEL.. The inj. pump or lift pump can leak "fuel" into the crank case & flood the system.. allowing oil to go UP past the rings.
Pull the oil fill cap AND dipstick on a RUNNING engine & look for smoke..
IF its "puffing" on a certain stroke, try to narrow it down to "a" cylinder.. by loosening the inj. lines 1 at a time & watching the "puffs"..

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
TPG hit it pretty close, you do not have a fuel problem as far as we can tell, you need to give more info with a video and the answer will likely be the same, a cylinder gone to hell pumping oil. Oil vapors thru the radiator is most likely coming from crankcase ventilation NOT the exhaust.

viking1

yeah sorry guys; I took a video but for some reason I couldn't get it to focus. I'll get a new phone Up & running & post. If the smoke IS coming from the crank vent (which I suspect), what does that generally indicate?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Blowby-aka crankcase pressure. Worn rings, liners, pistons. Scored liner or piston skirt, busted ring/s. Just flat wore out :)

hosspuller

If the smoke IS coming from the crank vent (which I suspect), what does that generally indicate?

Don't make everybody guess. Cut to the facts... Just confirm the smoke is coming from the crankcase vent … Or pull the engine oil dip stick and see if any smoke comes out.

Wes J

Could be a blow exhaust manifold gasket. If it's coming from the breather, it's blowby in the piston rings.

Usually a head gasket blown that bad would not make enough compression to allow combustion in that cylinder, so no actual smoke.

viking1

OK, ran it for 15 minutes until smoke was pouring out of the breather. Was letting it idle to avoid caramelization before I shut it down, and the engine gave a big "puff" (almost sounded like an air hose being disconnected) of smoke right above the ip. Oil is being forced out of the crankcase too. I think there's a breather that gets clogged, but I doubt my problem could be that simple. This was a rebuilt 6T590 just a few years ago......

viking1

Oy...... :-( I think I'll shop for a long block. I just went thru the entire undercarriage a couple years ago too.