• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can a stuck injector check valve cause fuel to run into the engine oil?

Honcho

yes it can. cause keep on going. but it won t fire. so it musta go to exaust pipe and oil. If oil level rise. it can also be a antifreeze/

Acecadet

It depends, is your engine smoking like crazy to the point of wet stacking? If it’s not, I would then check the seal in the drive end of the pump. Maybe best bet would be to get some fuel dye and then round the engine for a bit, then remove pump and check for the dye at the drive gear. You may also want to check for bits of debris blocking up the return fitting on your pump first. If there are bits of plastic plugging the fitting it would be why your front seal has failed and also means your pump will need a rebuild. A faulty injector would need to dump a lot of fuel to really be noticeable in the oil. Usually only a failed oring in a cam actuated system would cause that.

PeaNutz321

It depends, is your engine smoking like crazy to the point of wet stacking? If it’s not, I would then check the seal in the drive end of the pump. Maybe best bet would be to get some fuel dye a
nd then round the engine for a bit, then remove pump and check for the dye at the drive gear. You may also want to check for bits of debris blocking up the return fitting on your pump first. If there are bits of plastic plugging the fitting it would be why your front seal has failed and also means your pump will need a rebuild. A faulty injector would need to dump a lot of fuel to really be noticeable in the oil. Usually only a failed oring in a cam actuated system would cause that.
I’m new to diesels. It seems to crank and run fine until it fills with diesel then there is some smoke. We drained the diesel/oil mix out and put new engine oil in. We were going to pull the pump but discovered the check valve with the glass ball on the top of the pump was stuck. We cleaned that and got it working reinstalled that to see if that might fix the problem. Probably wishful thinking. So it was ran for a little while and parked for few days when I went back to check the oil level it was a little higher up the dipstick but not real bad. There was a little white smoke but it still ran fine. I was told that it was the front seal that is leaking. I’m not sure if the pump was pulled previously or if they were guessing that was the problem. I’m hopeful it’s the umbrella seals. But it will be a few days before we can work on it some more.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
It could be the front seals..
But it could be the brass pilot tube they ride in.. it could be grooved..
Either way the pump has to come off to check..
BE SURE TO TIE THE THROTTLE BACK TO WIDE OPEN.. BEFORE pulling the pump.
AND if u time it before removal, it’s 100x easier to get back on..
Good luck

joe--h

Before you pull the pump you might want to read through some of the hundreds of posts asking "I took my pump off and now I can't get it to run" Or "How do I time my pump".

As you're just guessing why not start with the supply pump?

Joe H

You beat me Pumpguy

PeaNutz321

Ok I’m understanding that it’s most likely the drive seals or a groove in the pilot tube that’s allowing the fuel to get into the oil. So how do you know if you have a flex ring failure other than debris and can that also allow fuel in the oil or just debris from failure?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Flex ring failure will not put fuel in the oil..
It clogs up the return connector (glass ball and spring) and shuts the engine down.
U can look for “coffee grounds” in the connector or if your feeling froggy, pull the side cover gasket and it’ll be wadded up in the corner.
U can hold a wad of paper towels under the cover and let the fuel run over it & it’ll catch the “mouse turds”..

PeaNutz321

Flex ring failure will not put fuel in the oil..
It clogs up the return connector (glass ball and spring) and shuts the engine down.
U can look for “coffee grounds” in the connector or if your feeling froggy, pull the side cover gasket and it’ll be wadded up in the corner.
U can hold a wad of paper towels under the cover and let the fuel run over it & it’ll catch the “mouse turds”..
Thank you. I know this is unrelated. Everything I read says tie throttle/governor open before removing pump…the diesel mechanic says he never does this. Can you tell me why it’s recommended? I’ve read that it makes reinstallation easier. He says it only goes back on one way. I know nothing and don’t want to argue with him when he’s the expert but I would like to make the job go as smoothly and quickly as possible.
Can these coffee grounds be reddish in color? The stuff clogging up the glass ball and spring looked like rust more than turds.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
The throttle is tied back to keep the flyweights from falling out of their cage.. it’s not necessary if the pump is getting overhauled.. BUT it WILL come back to u tied back..
AND if your just pulling it for a minor repair suck as replacing the front seals, DEFINITELY TIE IT BACK..
The pump will go on 2 DIFFERENT WAYS.. NOT 1..
Your mechanic sounds like a real KNOW-IT ALL.!!?? (ASS)

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Lol..
It would be real difficult for rust to make it thru several filters and end up inside the pump, all the way to the return side of the system.(return connector/glass ball and spring)
So more than likely it is the flex ring that’s breaking up..
Incase your “mechanic” hasn’t mentioned it, there is an updated part that eliminates the flex ring..so you’ll never have to deal with this problem again..
And unless you know about that part or ask about it.. your not going to get it installed into your rebuilt pump.. BECAUSE.. whoever is doing the rebuild will install a new plastic flex ring and it will fail again in a few years..building in a returning customer..
(dishonest people suck)

joe--h

At some point you should send your pump to pumpguy and get it fixed right. After he tells you how to remove it.

Or take it to the local guy and get screwed.

Joe H

PeaNutz321

Ok thanks guys. It was the umbrella seal a big chunk was missing. Never was able to find the missing piece but for the moment no fuel is leaking into oil and I’m running fine. With a machine this old I’m sure it won’t long before I’m back with more questions. Right now I’m wondering if 19.5 rear tires will fit a 580C or are they too wide? Currently has 17.5 on it.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
I’m glad u fixed the problem..
By chance did u check the actual pilot tube for grooves.??
I must be ok because it would have caught and flipped the seal.??
U can tell a lot about the maintenance of an engine by WHERE the grooves are..
If it’s grooved down deep in the brass tube, it’s dirty fuel..
If the grooves are up above, closer to the beginning of the tube.. it’s dirty oil..
Hope this helps.. TPG