• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

California lowbed guys....dealing with the CHP

D4E SA

Hey Chaz,I wonder which CHP officials family manufactures D-Rings.HMMM. We had the same problem down here with a city cop.He wants us to use four short chains and four binders ,instead of two chains with slack in the middle and four binders. Has anybody ever been weighed like this before.I was hauling an old 235 on 10' wide 7 axle.The scale was an eight foot wide scale. The motor cylcle cop tells me to put the right side on the scale first then turn around and put the other side on the scale.I would have five axled that pile if it was so wore out,plus I didnt want to deal with City of Long Beach's finest down at the port.Ahh just another day in paradise in the lowbed biusines.

amidozer

Occupation
Own heavy equipment construction company
Over the last few weeks we have been hearing of people having problems with the CHP stopping people for chaining down loads through the holes on the side of the trailer.

Good Lord, don't they have anything better to do?

We've been tying down through those holes for years and hardly ever even put a mark on the steel!

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
I have been looking far and for these attachment points everyone is talking about.
I'm thinking that maybe they left them out of this trailer.
Geez....
Did I get ripped off :beatsme
:cool:

Attachments

• P9220009.jpg
    P9220009.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 938
  • P9220002.jpg
    P9220002.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 944
  • P9220001.jpg
    P9220001.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 940
  • P9220004.jpg
    P9220004.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 945
  • P9220007.jpg
    P9220007.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 930

Dualie

wow they did short change you on the attachments ROP. I have seen way to many chains slide down the rail of a channel under hard braking, That would tend to scare me a bit. Might be time to bust out the ole 7018 and start burning rod and throw some D rings on there.

JDOFMEMI

Dualie

I think that is why the little stops are welded there, to keep the chain where you put it.
Looks like one angled forward and one back.
Not too bad, but I am not a fan of this except as a last resort, because if you are going very high off of the deck, you end up tip loading the hook, and thats not good.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
wow they did short change you on the attachments ROP. I have seen way to many chains slide down the rail of a channel under hard braking, That would tend to scare me a bit. Might be time to bust out the ole 7018 and start burning rod and throw some D rings on there.
:eek:X2

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
ROP thats the way we do it on one of our tag trailers...you guys would be suprised how hard those things wedge on there, normally i have to take a hook of the chain and tap the binder hook off the trailer because it gets stuck on there, if you put them up next to those "stops" on the underside of the lip they wont slide anywhere

amidozer

Occupation
Own heavy equipment construction company
I have been looking far and for these attachment points everyone is talking about.
I'm thinking that maybe they left them out of this trailer.
Geez....
Did I get ripped off :beatsme

NO! you just bought the WRONG trialer...if you had a Murray lowbed you'd know :D

Need pictures?

Classic79KW

Occupation
Gear Grinder
ROP I slip the hook on the rail of my TrailEze just the same way you have yours done and it works fine. I've never been hassled about it, just not having enough chains on my load a couple times but after I threw a few more chains on I was outta the coop ticket free. Keep in mind a drivers 'tude will have alot to do with if there's a ticket wrote, not that I've ever givin 'tude. :shf

On bigger iron and pulling a Murray I've never torn the rail or even bent it due to wrapping the chain in the hole, around a cross member and back out the hole that way your pulling the trailer together (pinching it) & not grabbing the edge of an open hole.

FYI Dualie is a 15 yr old kid rides and with his daddy. :stirthepot

Dualie

HAHA oh no I have been outted! :eek::eek::eek:

guess I should be gentlemanly and not tell everyone that ClassicKW isn't tall enough to ride the rides @ Disneyland. The upside is he looks like a Billy big rigger super trucker with his seat on the floor rolling down the road, most people don't know that's the only way he can reach the peddles. :rolleyes:

Oh and the guys got some weird pickle fetish :beatsme

To get back on topic, ANYONE know the proper way to secure a big wheel bike to a beaver tail and still satisfy the Texas DPS?. :avid

Ps. they have way cooler smileys over here and my dad drives a CAT service truck :beatsme

Classic79KW

Occupation
Gear Grinder
:notworthy Mr. Dualie.. glad to see your still interested in that KW of yours I was starting to believe you'd never drive it again. This is a cool site, I'll have to look around more & figure out how to post a pic or two.

I'm not Billy the BigRigger, I'm more like his little brother who doesnt do anything by the rules. :crazy:duh

And.. your just jealous that I'm short enough that I dont have to bend over or sit down to polish my wheels. :popcorn

sbrem

To get back on topic, ANYONE know the proper way to secure a big wheel bike to a beaver tail and still satisfy the Texas DPS?. :avid

I think as long as it is being pulled by a white 359 with a Detroit and a set of sticks you are good to go:D:D

And welcome to the site Classic. Get some pictures posted of Madeline.:)

Dualie

Man guess since the trucks got a 13spd were all screwed.

better start saving my pennies for bail

Dualie

I hear with both sticks against the dash she will walk past that 120 mile an hour pete spedometer COME ON

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Update...

Wonder?
Nothing to wonder about.
See here for yourself :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy-1APuqzhM

I don't run Banning anymore. One night while empty I (waved) as I went by.
This time, they came after me. It cost me $630.00 and 1.5 points.:eek:
Needless to say, I don't run any scale now. Instead, if I am sitting anywhere near live traffic while waiting to enter an inspection facility, I call 911 and report a road hazard. Commercial vehicles obscuring traffic lanes gets someone to flip the bypass sign every time.

JDOFMEMI

ROP

Thanks for the tip on how to get past Banning. I may just have to give it a try next time I have the misfortune of going that way.