• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Calif. Smog, Big Brother's Plan, It's Comming

J_Deere

Just think, on the firetrucks, as well as others, they used to be bought by smaller towns that do not have the budget to buy new, but can get by for years with a retired unit from a larger city fleet. Now they can't buy that $20K firetruck anymore, and they can't afford a new one either, so they go without. How does that help anyone??

Exactly! Even small contractors use to purchase used specialty equipment (Cone/Traffic Control trucks, dump trucks, street sweepers, vactor trucks, etc.) from municipalities and now they can't unless they plan to use it for parts. OH, one more interesting story. A local city recently went out to bid for two new street sweepers. Part of the bid involved taking two existing street sweepers in on trade (Cost of New Sweepers - Trade-in of old sweepers). Guess what? Because of the new laws, no one wanted to take the old sweepers in on trade! :rolleyes:

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
I addressed the used equipment in my '07 resonse to CARB

I think it worth posting because in the area of asthma I am an expert, and how will new business start?

California Air Resource Board
PO Box 2815
Sacramento, CA 95812

July 11,2007

Off Road Diesel Regulations

First let me say I have had asthma all my life or 62 years. In the past 10 years I have had only very minor asthma. I don't think a lot of the claims can be proven that diesel fumes cause asthma. I had asthma before I was around diesel fumes, and now I am around diesel all day long and my asthma is improved. Most of asthma is allergy related. This is treated with antigens and bronco inhalers.

There are some common sense measures that could have already been in place to reduce breathing diesel exhaust. Buses have caused this problem for years. Vehicles and equipment with horizontal low exhaust pipes need to be changed so fumes are not blown out at ground level and into people’s faces. This is just common sense, but not all equipment and vehicles have vertical exhaust pipes. Vertical exhaust pipes could provide a very cost effective way to keep people from breathing fumes.

In the past CARB took the diesel industry down a very rough road with low sulfur fuels that damaged most of the fuel systems and caused leaks and break downs and lot of expense. The fact is the fuel should have been tested and problems corrected before use.
We have been forced to use low sulfur and ultra low sulfur fuel all at the cost of performance and more fuel usage. The fact is the power has been taken out of the fuel. We are paying more for fuel and getting less in return. To set goals that that are unattainable does not work, does not solve a problem that does not exist. Now we are told to scrap or sell our fleets. Well- maintained equipment that has been properly cared for should provide income back to the owner like it was intended when it was purchased. Our businesses run on sound financial principles. Your proposed regulation is not founded on sound financial principles.

You cannot rewrite how we run our business unless you provide a way for us to do it. For me to replace a four hundred thousand dollar piece of equipment that I may use 400 hours a year cannot be justified unless you pay me to do it. The money has to come from somewhere to replace the equipment in your proposal. We have good years and we try to save when there are bad years. That is just good sense. We cannot go and buy equipment without being able to pay for it. If we do, we go out of business.

I have been taking very good care of my diesel off-road equipment for over 40 years. Under the proposed regulation I would have to liquidate and go out of business because it cannot be retrofitted. Also, all of the 15 owner-operators that work with me cannot comply with the proposal. The technology does not exist. It does not seem reasonable to OUTLAW THE USE and force well-maintained, good productive equipment into retirement to be sold out of state. This is a plan that must have been conceived by people that have no economic insight. It only seems logical that as the equipment ages it will be replaced, or will be operated very few hours a year. Contractors must have spare machines that can go into service. If not, work won't get done and contractors face liquidated damages.

I cannot afford new equipment. I buy used equipment 5 to 10 years old this is all I can afford to purchase. How many years will I have to wait for used equipment to meet the standards that new equipment can meet? Where will affordable and viable equipment going to come from? You need to answer this before any new standards are even considered.

"We have to be able to allow good operating equipment to remain in service until it can be replaced. If you do not allow equipment to be replaced through attrition, you will ruin the majority of contractors, which are small family owned business."

I will be praying that CARB will think about the economic impacts. We bought equipment as an investment. We have worked hard to preserve that investment through proper care and maintenance. We have done our part; don't change your mind after I have made the investment, taken care of the investment and have been a good steward.

Please don’t wreck the heavy construction industry in California.

Sincerely Yours,
Darryl Mueller President

Well they didn't listen 80% of small businesses are impacted and on the way to failure. I have 1 guy that CARB would not register 1996 580 so he bought new and is well on his way to repo & bankrupt and loosing his house. Does CARB care?

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
What does postponement of CARB Off-Road Diesel regs say about early compliance?

Don’t go celebrating the California Air Resources Board’s postponement of enforcing its off-road diesel emissions regulations as some kind of triumph of the free market over regulation. Confirmed diesel hater and CARB chair Mary Nichols has saved her job for the time being, but she’s not going to let these regulations go away.

What role did contractors in CA who have been upgrading engines for the past five to eight years play in bringing about this postponement? Could similar voluntary compliance by contractors in the many other states considering implementation of CARB regs forestall the spread of diesel emissions regulations?

Something to think about

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Forgive my ignorance, but can someone give me a quick rundown on the different ways an engine can be made compliant?

Thanks

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Replacement with a newer engine or retrofit with a technology (all diesel particulate filters, at this point) from CARB's verified technology list.

CARB-Verification Makes These DPFs The Right Investment

A slightly different set of regs for on-road diesels

CARB Demands Exhaust Update of On-Road Diesels

There are local regulations springing up in various areas -- New York City, New Jersey, Illinois' Cook County, Vancouver -- that roughly mirror the CARB rules. They may offer a little more lattitude, or a little less, in terms of technologies that satisfy the requirements.

If you're in an unregulated area, you can get ahead of the curve with financial assistance from the government by applying for federal and state grants to help clean up older diesels.

How to Get Uncle Sam to Pay for Equipment Updates

L

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Trucking companies hurt by CARB environmental rules!

This gets right were we all make our living, or taking away our means of making a living, please get involved in your state and federal laws!
http://www.martinezgazette.com/news...ing-companies-hurt-recent-environmental-rules

Trucking companies hurt by recent environmental rules
By Jesse Lanum
Special to the Gazette
January 9, 2010

The trucking industry is preparing for the first of a series of crippling regulations dealt them courtesy of the California Air Resources Board (ARB), whose goal has been to combat the side effects potentially caused by diesel emissions. Over the past several months, the science behind these regulations has come under increased scrutiny, specifically due to the credential fraud committed by one of ARB’s lead researchers.

All Drayage diesel trucks older than 1994 must be retired from service. Those built between 1994 and 2003 must undergo a costly retrofit — a soot trap ranging in price from $12,000 to $25,000, depending on the age of the vehicle.

Leo Kay, the Communication Director for the ARB, said that there are approximately 20,000 affected trucks in California. ARB offered $11 million in grants for the affected truckers. Each trucker could potentially receive $5,000 toward the retrofit of their diesel. The regulations were set to go into effect on January 1, 2010; however, there was not enough money to go around, and truckers were recently afforded two weeks grace.

The diesel particulate matter the regulations is meant to curb what is known as PM2.5. According to ARB’s research, PM2.5 is known to cause premature deaths.

Len Serpa, owner of the Len Serpa dump truck company in Martinez, said that his company will be heavily affected by the regulation. “We have only one 2008 truck,” said Serpa. “That would be the only truck to meet standards. We would have to throw the rest out.”

Serpa is a member of California Dump Truck Owners Association (CDTOA), which has called into question the credentials of the ARB scientists responsible for demonstrating the dangers of diesel emissions. The organization discovered that one of the lead authors had lied about having a doctorate from UC Davis. ARB reported that the credibility of the peer reviewed work on PM2.5 was buttressed by the doctorate of Hien Tran. They later admitted to discovering that Tran did not have the doctorate. In fact, he had only recently purchased a doctorate from Thornhill, an unaccredited online university, according to consumerfraudreporting.org.

Tran was reportedly demoted but retains a position with ARB. His scientific work cited in moving forward with the regulations will be redone in the future, but the regulations will not be delayed in the interim.

In response, Lee Brown, the Executive Director at CDTOA, wrote a letter to Gov. Schwarzenegger asking him to call for an immediate investigation of ARB.

“The scientific basis for CARB’s on-road diesel regulations is the October 24, 2008 CARB Staff Report on PM2.5 and Premature Deaths in California by lead author Hien T. Tran. However, lead author Tran admittedly misrepresented his qualifications and education, as he did not in fact have a Ph.D. from UC Davis as he had originally claimed,” Brown wrote.

Schwarzenegger has not yet responded to his December 9 letter.

Brown drafted another letter to the President of the UC system, asking him to release ARB scientist and UC Berkeley professor Dr. Michael Jerret’s data on PM2.5 harm. Brown claims that Jarrett has been secretive with his work; moreover, the data he is using comes from the East Coast and has been unjustly extrapolated to California.

Dr. James Enstrom, an epidemiologist at UCLA with thirty-five years of experience, is the only scientist to have completed the most comprehensive study on the effects of PM2.5 in California. Dr. Enstrom found a risk factor of zero for Californians with respect to PM2.5. Instead of using those results, the ARB scientists used a study that took place in the Netherlands, among others, to come to their findings.

“The association [of premature death and PM2.5] is extremely weak by epidemiological standards. The initial findings were not supported by subsequent studies,” Enstrom said. “A lot of particulate matter in California is just road dust or from forest fires,” Enstrom added.

Enstrom has written a number of letters to Jerrett as well as other ARB scientists, hoping to understand why they have chosen to bypass the only comprehensive state data available, and he has not received a response.

“California has the fourth highest life expectancy in the country,” said Enstrom. “Life expectancy is too high for this to make sense.”

Many of the big trucking fleets were able to update their vehicles for coming regulations, but it has been a different story for small businesses and lone owner/operators. Those who support their families by driving their own trucks are forced to ante up or be cut out of business.

Brown said that ninety-five percent of the trucks in his organization would be off the road with the coming regulation. In 2007, CDTOA membership was at 1400. As of today, membership has dropped to 800.

“What does cause tremendous health affects is unemployment,” said Enstrom

There are more emissions restrictions coming, and it doesn’t stop with trucks. Tractors, boats and construction equipment are on the chopping block as well. Kay said that, by 2020, California will have reduced diesel emissions by eighty-five percent.

Due to the economic downturn, a few of the regulations affecting tractors and construction equipment have been delayed, but they’re not delaying the restrictions to loosen the noose on California workers. The slowdown of industry is essentially good news for emissions regulators.

“A lot of people aren’t working right now, so we may be reducing diesel emissions enough just by having those trucks off the road,” said Kay.

Enough refers to federally mandated restrictions of state diesel emissions. In order to be awarded federal money for highway repair, Kay said that California must cut diesel emissions.

“We’re trying to balance the need to protect the environment and the economy,” Kay said.

ARB documents on diesel particulate matter going back to 1977 can be found at cdtoa.org.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
More fines to pay for CARB Inforcment

Sunbelt Rentals fined $98,500 for emissions violations

SACRAMENTO – The California Air Resources Board last week fined
Sunbelt Rentals $98,500 for emissions violations in 2007 and 2008
around the state.
During a routine investigation, ARB investigators found that
Sunbelt Rentals, headquartered in Fort Mill, S.C., failed to
conduct diesel truck smoke tests in 2007 and 2008 at 20 of its
California fleet facilities.
“Californians depend on clean air as part of living a healthy
life,” said ARB Chairman Mary D. Nichols. “When companies
violate air quality laws, we all lose.”

Kern County company fined $14,500 for emissions violations

SACRAMENTO - The California Air Resources Board has fined
Sturgeon & Son, Inc. $14,500 for emissions violations during 2007
and 2008.
An ARB investigation showed Sturgeon & Son, Inc., based in
Bakersfield, Calif., failed to properly inspect some of their
diesel vehicles, as required by California law. Failing to
conduct these inspections can lead to an increase of toxic diesel
particulate matter in the air.
"Diesel exhaust contains toxic particles that are dangerous to
human health," said ARB Enforcement Chief James Ryden. "Every
effort companies make to keep their heavy-duty diesel vehicles in
compliance with ARB's regulations helps to save lives."

General Produce Company fined $30,900 for reporting violations

SACRAMENTO - The California Air Resources Board fined General
Produce Company $30,900 last month for reporting violations
during 2006 at its Sacramento, Calif. facility.
General Produce failed to submit a one-time report for their
transportation refrigeration units at their facility, as required
by law. TRUs are refrigeration systems that are powered by diesel
engines that control the environment of temperature-sensitive
products in refrigerated trucks, trailers, railcars and shipping
containers.
"Companies that fail to submit the reports required in this and
other diesel fleet regulations set the stage for further
non-compliance and continued production of harmful emissions;
they also create an unfair advantage over compliant companies,"
said ARB Enforcement Chief James Ryden.

San Bernardino County waste hauler fined $307,200 for emissions
violations

SACRAMENTO – The California Air Resources Board fined Burrtec
Waste Industries, Inc. $307,200 in November for emissions
violations during 2005 and 2006.
An ARB investigation showed Burrtec Waste Industries, Inc.
located in Fontana, Calif., failed to properly inspect their
diesel vehicles. The company also failed to comply with the solid
waste collection vehicle rule by neglecting to retrofit some of
their diesel vehicles with the required emission-reduction
devices.
"Trash haulers work hard to move waste out of our communities,
and they burn a lot of diesel fuel close to where people live and
work,” said ARB Chairman Mary D. Nichols. “That's why California
law requires that their engines be maintained and inspected to
keep pollution as low as possible."

Newman company fined $37,000 for emissions violations

SACRAMENTO – The California Air Resources Board last month
fined a Newman, Calif. heavy-duty diesel fleet $37,000 for
failing to inspect its diesel trucks for compliance with the
state’s smoke emissions standards.
ARB investigators found that Mello Milk Transport, Inc., failed
to conduct diesel truck smoke tests in 2008 and 2009 at its fleet
facility, as required by state law.
“Reducing diesel particulate emissions is the most important
thing we can do to protect the public against the harmful health
effects of air pollution,” said ARB Chairman Mary Nichols.
“Businesses that do their part by maintaining their vehicles help
keep our air healthy.”

Chemical Transfer Company fined $6,500 for emissions violations

SACRAMENTO – The California Air Resources Board fined Chemical
Transfer Company last month for $6,500 for diesel emissions
violations.
An ARB investigation showed Chemical Transfer Company, based in
Stockton, Calif., failed to properly inspect their diesel
vehicles during 2008 and 2009.
“All trucking companies must properly inspect and maintain their
diesel vehicles to ensure that California’s emissions goals are
achieved,” said ARB Enforcement Chief James Ryden. “The emissions
from diesel trucks are very detrimental to the public’s health.”

Petaluma company fined $20,000 for emissions violations

SACRAMENTO – The California Air Resources Board last month
fined a Petaluma, Calif. company $20,000 for failing to inspect
its diesel trucks for compliance with the state’s smoke emissions
standards.
ARB investigators found that Golden State Lumber, Inc. failed to
conduct diesel truck smoke tests in 2009, as required by state
law.
“Diesel particulate matter is a hazard to all Californians,”
said ARB Enforcement Chief Jim Ryden. “By taking steps to reduce
soot emissions, companies that operate in the state help clean
the air.”

Long Beach company fined $31,500 for emissions violations

SACRAMENTO – The California Air Resources Board fined Bragg
Investment Companies $31,500 this month for emissions violations
during 2008.
An ARB investigation showed Bragg Investment Companies, based in
Long Beach, Calif., failed to properly inspect their
diesel-powered vehicles for excess
emissions.
“Routine diesel inspections are a top priority in protecting
California's air,” said ARB Enforcement Chief James Ryden.
“Companies failing to conduct these
inspections can lead to an increase of toxic diesel particulate
matter in the air.
The law requires owners of California-registered truck fleets to
regularly inspect their vehicles to ensure that their engine
emissions meet state air
quality regulations.

Napa Company fined $14,400 for emissions violations

SACRAMENTO – The California Air Resources Board fined Biagi
Bros. $14,400 this month for emissions violations during 2008 and
An investigation by ARB showed Biagi Bros., based in Napa,
Calif., failed to properly inspect their diesel-powered vehicles
for excess emissions.
“Diesel exhaust is the most common air toxin in California and
is detrimental to public health and the environment,” said ARB
Enforcement Chief James Ryden.
“Routine inspections are an essential component in reducing
harmful emissions, and providing clean air for the public.”
The law requires owners of California-registered truck fleets to
regularly inspect their vehicles to ensure that their engine
emissions meet state air
quality regulations.

Here is how CARB will effect cost to consumers!
My trash bill went from $70.00 to $139.00 per month in 2.5 years.
As California's tax base moves out of the state along with employment chances, this is just a preview of change that needs to be stopped.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Calif. Smog, Big Brother's Plan, It's Comming:

The reaserch and statistics that were used to justify these restrictive laws were put in question some time ago but the legislature has refused to listen. All this makes it obvious to the blue coller public that the issue is one of power and money and never was about public benefit.
Albert Einstein:
The attempt to combine wisdom and power has only rarely been successful and then only for a short while.
WOW! This guy Tran lied about his Phd and falsified test results and when he is found-out, he doesn't get fired, he gets "bumped down 2 pay grades". Big deal! In the private sector, if you falsify your resume you get fired the minute they find out you lied! Thank God he is working for the State of California, where a good liar is considered a valuable employee.
Albert Einstein:
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
And one of the best, from one of the greatest....

Albert Einstein:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

OCR

Last edited:

DarrylMueller

Occupation
"California Crack Down"! CARB what's next! The Fed EPA!

This was on the front cover so it caught my eye, "California Crack Down"! A lot of interesting information, this junk will be national if it is not stopped!
Go to page 16 the article starts,
http://www.digitalmagazinetechnology.com/a/?KEY=equipmentworld-10-04april#page=15&zoom=0
After I read the article, and that Cal. was waiting from the EPA, I remember something like they had got a waver, Yes they did in 6/09,
EPA Administrator Lisa P. Jackson. “This waiver is consistent with the Clean Air Act as it’s been used for the last 40 years and supports the prerogatives of the 13 states and the District of Columbia who have opted to follow California’s lead.
So there must be another waver needed? Does anyone know? Or more guess work?
I guess the key points are, EPA will follow Calif unless we get a change in leadership, Calif construction is in such bad shape, and investments made on equipment to make money had to be sold at huge losses that could have been put in storage as has been done in the past and made ready to go to work when things improve, which is way down the road.
I hope your construction spring season is a lot better than we have had in the golden state.
I am so glad I planted hay last fall, so I have something exciting to look forward to.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Off road importer fined $250,000

Importer illegally sold uncertified vehicles to statewide
dealership

. NEWS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Release #:11-04

Date:01/18/2011

ARB PIO: (916) 322-2990
OR 916-322-2638
mfricke@arb.ca.gov

Southern California importer of off-highway vehicles ordered to
pay $250,000 judgment
Importer illegally sold uncertified vehicles to statewide
dealership

EL MONTE, CA -
An investigation by the Air Resources Board led to a $250,000
judgment issued in October 2010 by the San Bernardino County
Court against Montclair, Calif. based NST, Inc. for the illegal
sales of uncertified off-highway vehicles.

ARB investigators found NST, Inc., also known as New Star, owned
by John Cheng, illegally sold at least 52 off-highway
recreational vehicles such as ATVs, dirt bikes and go-karts to
California dealerships starting around May 2006. Investigators
discovered the illegal sales while conducting routine dealer
inspections.

“California has clean air laws in place to protect residents from
these recreational vehicles that can pollute up to 100 times more
than a passenger car," said ARB Chairman Mary D. Nichols.
"Businesses that sell equipment and vehicles illegally will pay
penalties, especially businesses that are repeat offenders.”

NST was issued a Notice of Violation for selling ARB
non-certified vehicles. Because a settlement could not be
reached, the case was referred to the San Bernardino County
District Attorney's Office for prosecution. A judgment was
ultimately entered in the amount of $250,000 for Health and
Safety Code and Business and Professions Code violations.

In 2006 NST settled with ARB for $80,000 for the importation,
sale and delivery of non-certified pocket bikes and scooters.
Because the owner of the company was a repeat violator, ARB
officials sought the highest financial penalty in the 2010 case.

Additionally, dealerships and distributors throughout California
that bought from NST and subsequently sold the illegal vehicles
to consumers were also cited.

Vehicles that do not meet California's tough emission
requirements pose a real danger to residents. They create higher
amounts of smog-forming pollutants, which can then exacerbate
respiratory ailments and negatively affect other health
conditions such as shortness of breath, headaches, birth defects,
cancer or damage to internal organs. Smog is a combination of
smoke and other particulates, ozone, hydrocarbons, nitrogen
oxides and other chemically reactive compounds which, under
certain conditions of weather and sunlight, may result in a murky
brown haze. The primary source of smog in California is motor
vehicles.

The Air Resources Board is a department of the California
Environmental Protection Agency. ARB's mission is to promote and
protect public health, welfare, and ecological resources through
effective reduction of air pollutants while recognizing and
considering effects on the economy. The ARB oversees all air
pollution control efforts in California to attain and maintain
health based air quality standards.

CARB is on he attack. Southern Calif. had smog before cars, it's Ozone created by trees it's in the history books, Regan knew this!

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Economic Leakage is the results of regulation cause business to leave the state!

Check this link; Down load this 9 page PDF and send to your state leaders, so this does not happen to you!
AB32: Letter to Assembly Member Dan Logue Regarding Economic Leakage
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
May 13, 2010 ... following the implementation of AB 32 through the California Air Resource Board's. (ARB's) Scoping Plan (SP), compared to states that do not ...
www.lao.ca.gov/reports/2010/rsrc/ab32_logue/ab32_logue_051310.pdf

Legislative Analyst Study was Ignored! In December AB32 was became law! This kind of stuff is not sustaninable!

DarrylMueller

Occupation
This is Very Depressing News! I read this yesterday and today I had to post this that the Feds want to mandate New Equipment. It is bad enough when the State goes nuts. But to work on Federal Funded Sites they want New Equipment. Please write to these jurks and ask them to think before they continue to wreck out Country! "Particulate matter from diesel to cause Asthma has been lied about and is not proven!" Enstrom because he disagreed about health problems caused by particulate matter, and is expert and researched particulate matter for years!
http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_news/Daily/2011/Sep11/090511/090711-06.shtml
So this is just another case to ignore and continue to push for more laws, just like Global Warming!

http://www.compactequip.com/index/webapp-stories-action?id=832

Three Important Construction Issues that Need Washington’s Attention
Compiled by CE Staff — Nov 11, 2011

Good government needs specific direction. Giving money and power to our leaders sometimes feels like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. Democracy doesn’t work real well unless you decide to help work it. And since knowledge governs ignorance, here are three important pieces of legislation and funding that you and your congressional leaders should use to help drive the country and economy. From diesel engine emissions to housing funding, these ideas can empower the construction and landscape industry.

New Legislation to Fund Cleaner Diesels for Federally-Funded Highway Projects

Emissions from diesel construction equipment will be significantly reduced at major highway projects in the most polluted areas, thanks to the Clean Construction Act of 2011 introduced in October by Rep. Richard Hanna (R-N.Y.) and Rep. Donna Edwards (D-Md.).

The Associated General Contractors of America (AGC) and the non-profit Clean Air Task Force (CATF) signaled their strong support for the bipartisan legislation that would provide state transportation officials the authority and funding to incorporate the use of clean construction equipment on federally-funded transportation projects in PM2.5 Nonattainment and Maintenance areas.

“On behalf of the Associated General Contractors and the Clean Air Task Force, we thank Reps. Hanna and Edwards for their strong leadership, commitment and vision in ensuring that the air we breathe and the projects we build are simultaneously strong and healthy for the communities in which they are built,” said Conrad Schneider, advocacy director of the Clean Air Task Force. “This legislation provides a targeted approach to reducing emissions from construction machines that will be used in the areas of the country that are struggling to meet federal air quality standards. We are thrilled to be standing side-by-side with the contractors in support of the Clean Construction Act of 2011,” concluded Schneider.

“This proposal will help safeguard construction jobs and rebuild our aging network of highways and bridges while protecting the environment,” said Stephen E. Sandherr, CEO of the Associated General Contractors of America. “It reflects an appreciation of the fact that how we build infrastructure is often as important as where we build it.”

If you would please write or call your AGC person and ask them who in the "H" are thy representing contractors or new equipment dealers? This gangrene thinking must stop. Just the other day I was picking up seed at and there was a 706 farm tractor. I struck up and interest in the tractor. "Then I saw it a hole in the block, that was required by law!" That hole was done so the tractor would be scraped! "And the farmer would recieve $20,000. State & Federal tax dollars" I don't think God will honor this waste that is going on. If you are a used car dealer Cash for Clunkers took good and other cares to the crusher! God will not honor Waste!

JDOFMEMI

Sounds to me like more welfare for the large well funded corporations who can afford to go out and buy new equipment. The small and mid sized contractors are forced out of the market because we can't afford the new iron. These regulations are the death of many small family owned businesses.

JD955SC

Cash for clunkers BS comes to the yellow iron...

The EPA is out on a mission to destroy diesel engines. Somebody mentioned fire equipment. Our newest tanker at my department has one of those regenerative systems on it. 45 minutes for it to cycle, and once that is started, if you shut the engine down during the cycle it fries the computer. On purpose, so you can't bypass the cycle. I have a feeling that is going to cost lives sooner or later.

We can't have the efficient small diesels the Europeans have. Makes too much sense and are actually energy efficient.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Fire Trucks are broke down because of $30,000 EPA filter!

Do you know that requirement for diesel engine. The exhaust is cleaner that the air it takes in! Or the diesel engine is a air cleaner. This is a government fire department, but what for small business to do? Go out of business?
http://www.firehouse.com/news/top-headlines/required-epa-filters-make-calif-fire-trucks-fail

SAN DIEGO --
Fire trucks across the country are breaking down at record rates because of faulty filters the Environmental Protection Agency forces them to use.
The 10News I-Team learned San Diego City Councilwoman Marti Emerald is asking the region's congressional delegation to petition the EPA to change their rules.
Additionally, Rep. Bob Filner is scheduled to meet with EPA officials and ask them for an exemption on the fire truck filters.
Filner sent the EPA a letter last week saying, "Fire equipment is breaking down or having to be taken off-line, at times putting lives and property in danger."
The EPA forces every diesel-powered vehicle to have a filter to keep soot out of the air, including fire trucks. The filters usually burn off soot before clogging the engine, but fire trucks don't do enough long-haul driving to get hot enough to burn the soot away.
"I think that would benefit public safety immensely if we did not have to follow these same rules," said Kevin Ester with the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
Ester, who is in charge of fixing fire trucks in San Diego, said the filters cost $30,000 each.
The EPA has not said if they'll give fire departments a pass on filtering their diesel vehicles. Departments across the country have had similar problems with the filters as SDFRD.
Right now the military and construction industries are the only entities with an exemption.
Do you have more information about this story? Click here to contact usCopyright 2011 by 10News.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Just when you think it can't get any worse I get a reminder of the fines coming in the new year!
Hear is the CARB e-mail from a bankrupt state bureaucrats!

Next phase of regulations will kick in starting 2013, learn now
how to comply.

ARB PIO: 916-322-2990
626-575-6728
kcaesar@arb.ca.gov

SACRAMENTO – The Air Resources Board is reminding truck and bus
owners to check now to see if their vehicle fleets are among
those that will have new rules to follow as of Jan. 1, 2013.

As the new year begins, heavy duty trucks and buses (more than
26,000 lbs. gross vehicle weight rating) with 2000 – 2004 model
year engines will likely need diesel soot filters as required by
the state’s Truck and Bus Regulation. The rule is part of
California’s Diesel Risk Reduction Plan, which includes a suite
of regulations designed to reduce harmful diesel emissions from a
wide variety of sources. In 2011, similar requirements took
effect for 1996 – 1999 model year engines.

There are exceptions (low-mileage or emergency vehicles, etc.),
however, the majority of registered trucks and buses in this
vehicle category will need to take steps to comply with the
regulation.

“Our efforts to reach out to the trucking industry have yielded
positive results,” said ARB’s Enforcement Division Chief James
Ryden. “We have enforcement and compliance assistance teams all
over the state who regularly inspect vehicles and educate owners,
and recently, we’ve been pleased to note a compliance rate of
more than 80 percent.” Ryden specifically cited “Gear Up for
Clean Truck Month” in August 2012, where teams of ARB and
California Highway Patrol officers stepped up enforcement efforts
and inspected more than 4,000 trucks at 40 different locations,
including CHP weigh stations, random roadside areas, distribution
centers, fleet facilities, truck stops and other sites where
trucks and buses are present.

Business owners should note that non-compliant vehicles
(including out-of-state vehicles) may not be legally operated in
California. Penalties start at a minimum of $1,000 per violation
per month and will increase significantly over time. In
addition, non-compliance can result in a Department of Motor
Vehicle registration block on your truck or bus, and/or having
your vehicle impounded by CHP until it is in compliance. For
more information on possible penalties, see the “Enforcement”
link at Truck Stop/Enforcement at
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/truckstop/azregs/enforcement.htm

Other new diesel-related rules besides the Truck and Bus
Regulation will be enforced starting Jan. 1, 2013. Vehicle
owners may want to take note of this information in order to
place equipment orders and prepare for compliance. Deadlines
coming up quickly for diesel vehicles include:

December 31, 2012:

• Transport Refrigeration Units with 2005 model year engines must
be replaced with Ultra-Low-Emission TRUs.

January 1, 2013:

• Under the Truck and Bus regulation, diesel truck and bus fleets
must either install diesel soot filters (or upgrade equipment) on
trucks with 2002 – 2004 model year engines or meet phase-in
option requirements.

• For vehicles covered under the Drayage Truck Regulation, 2005 –
2006 engine model year trucks greater than 33,000 lbs. gross
vehicle weight rating must have diesel soot filters.

• Tractor-Trailer Greenhouse Gas regulation:

- Owners of fleets with 20 or fewer affected trailers must
register if they want to use a compliance option that will allow
them up to four additional years to participate in the Small
Fleet Compliance Plan.

- Low-rolling resistance tires are required for 2010 model year
and older tractors that pull 53 foot-long box-type trailers.

- SmartWay aerodynamic requirements must be met by all 53-foot or
longer box-type trailers not using a phase-in option.

To make sure you and your fleet are ready for 2013, call
1-866-6-DIESEL (1-866-634-3735), or visit
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/truckstop/truckstop.htm for more
information.

======================================================================
You are subscribed to the newsrel mailing list. To UNSUBSCRIBE:
Please go to http://www.arb.ca.gov/listserv/listserv.php and enter
your email address and click on the button "Display Email Lists."
To unsubscribe, please click inside the appropriate box to uncheck it
and go to the bottom of the screen to submit your request. You will
receive an automatic email message confirming that you have
successfully unsubscribed. Also, please read our listserve disclaimer
at http://www.arb.ca.gov/listserv/disclaim.htm .

The energy challenge facing California is real. Every Californian
needs to take immediate action to reduce energy consumption. For
a list of simple ways you can reduce demand and cut your energy
costs, see our website at www.arb.ca.gov.

surfer-joe

I feel for you & others in California, Darryl. Can't say that I'm unhappy to be out of that vastly over-regulated conglameration of legal problems since 2006. Additionally, I can not see any modest to great improvement to California citizens lifestyles that CARB and other agencies brag about. Southern California is a complete disaster, from Sacramento to San Diego! Only big question in my mind, is why are so many very rich folk and any individual businessmen still there? We all know why the poor and illegal are there. Not a great feeling to have folks point to Egypt, Syria, Irag, California, Afghanistan, and Haiti, as completely failed states!

surfer-joe

True that, Stock! Some folk even reelected a champion liar to be president of the United States, and he has a vast herd of potential top tenners, in this regard, in his administration!

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
While you're entitled to hold any opinion you like, I'm pretty sure that last comment falls outside of the "political discussion" rule:
•No discussion of politics not directly related to the heavy equipment industry will be permitted. References to individuals, political beliefs, or parties, made using derogatory terms will not be permitted within these posts. Example: "Flaming lefty", "right wing zealot" or other similar type label.
:cool2

(And I said "pretty" sure, just to be polite.) ;)