• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cable life

Old Doug

The winch i think i will use is from a late 40s early 50s m5 tractor. I bet the cable is original and never unrolled. It has some were around 300' of 5/8. I wanted to remove the cable to make it easyer to take the winch apart any way i could but after unrolling some it looks ok would it be worth cutting the first or second wrap and using the rest?

crane operator

I've probably got a spool of 5/8" that's too short for a crane cable probably 200-300' laying around. It would likely be newer than what you have. Mine would probably be rotation resistant cable, I'll see what I have and send you a picture.

muzy

Not sure what your up to? but it would be about 250lbs lighter if you unspooled it.
What are you going to use the winch for?

Old Doug

Not sure what your up to? but it would be about 250lbs lighter if you unspooled it.
What are you going to use the winch for?
I want to use it on my Chevy c70 But first i need to make sure its in good shape. Its a little bigger than i wanted but i own it.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Probably be fine if none of the strands are rusted through. I'll unspool my dozer cable, drag a rag over it to check for snags, put a little tension on the full length, rubber glove over a leather one and then put a quart or two of bar oil on it and let it soak in before respooling it, seems to keep it in good shape!