• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

C510 roadtrain

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Yeah, that's a little much. I wouldn't want to see something like that here in the States. There are those who nearly change lanes when a rig's drier discharges, I can't imagine what kind of response people would have to seeing this monster come into view in the mirror.

Hendrik

Yeah, that's a little much. I wouldn't want to see something like that here in the States. There are those who nearly change lanes when a rig's drier discharges, I can't imagine what kind of response people would have to seeing this monster come into view in the mirror.
These are off highway roadtrains, no civilians allowed near them.
The biggest ones allowed on public roads gross out at 170 metric tonnes but you need special permission for extra axle loading.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYDTThDhQP4&feature=related you may have a laugh at the 15 year old super truckie
Standard road trains are three trailers and 120 tonne gross.
In south oz they are allowed to go 90kmh max. Doubles are now allowed to enter the northern part of Adelaide but triples stop at Port Augusta.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Okay then,

Glad to know these trains aren't run anywhere near the general public. However I can see where they would be highly effective in transporting product to far away places. I have to assume Australia like the US doesn't have much of a rail road system? We had the promise of a fantastic rail system but the Government got involved and now.....

rare ss

Okay then,

Glad to know these trains aren't run anywhere near the general public. However I can see where they would be highly effective in transporting product to far away places. I have to assume Australia like the US doesn't have much of a rail road system? We had the promise of a fantastic rail system but the Government got involved and now.....

these road trains a cheaper option to a trainline, also they are more verstile allowing product to be shifted from any number of satilite pits into a primary location for processing rather than having a large rail network and a process plant for each pit

rail does kill it on long hauls though, our rail bins hold round 100t per bin x220 bins per train