• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

c 15 acert low oil warning please help

wrench23

Occupation
field service mechanic
i have a 2007 kw t800 cat c15 low oil pres at 20 psi at at idle if you rev to 10grand, warning lights come on if you check oil its right at the line! i changed the filter, a week later happend agian...... changed oil and filter and agian ........week later happend agian .......changed oil pres sending unit at 150 bucks! still happening put manual gauge and both reading same?????? :mad: just to see i changed filter and probly a gal of oil and oil pres went right up so i dropped the pan to check for cracked pick up tube dosent look like any however where the tube comes from pump into bottom of block there is no bolt holding tube in pump like the suction hose has i will inc. a pic soon i havent got to bypass valves because i broke 5/8 hex wrench tryng to get them off have to get a new one dose anyone have any i deas for me also the is no smell of coolant or fuel in oil not saying there isnt But there no indicators of it i am lost here everything i can think of so far hasnt been the problem

Last edited:

Dad5

I have seen C15s plug the oil filter with soot. This is usually caused by combustion gasses getting by the piston rings or the valve guides. Another cause can be an overfueling situation, again putting excess amounts of soot in the oil. A blowby test would determine if rings or guides were the issue. If the engine is pre-2007 EPA emissions you would see black smoke if an injector(s) were bad. If it is a 2007 EPA engine it would have a DPF which would hide the smoke, but the regen frequency would be abnormally high. An oil sample would also show if soot levels were elevated. And last but not least; cut the oil filter open, cut out a section of the media and squeeze the oil out with a vise then spread out the media and you will be able to see what is plugging the filter.

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
you say the CEL light comes on at high idle? you may want to check the vva/jakes heads for cracks, broken studs etc. remove the valve cover (SDP) covers (MXS/NXS) and idle engine, look for any exccessive oil leaking from around vva solenoids, the outer two with yellow on them on each jake head. we have seen low oil psi codes due to too much leaking as these actuatetor housings break regularly around here. a sign of that is also weak jakes sometimes.
while you have the oil pan off, replace both oil tube o-rings, p/n 109-0072 for pick up and 109-0078 for pressure tube, and you normaly will never find a retaining bolt holding this tube in, only on the pick up tube.
easy check for the by-pass check valve is to remove the oil filter and carefully move the little black plastic plug, clean it with brake clean and use compressed air to move it. dont use anything sharpe to scratch it. have never seen these to be an issue though.
are you using cat oil filter? or tried an oil sample? there are two plugs on the bottom of oil filter housing used for testing before filter and after filter pressure reading, if you suspect the filter is plugging prematurely. I know the cummins filters plug early if there is coolent getting into the oil (egr cooler failure) are you loosing coolant? if so might want to pressure test coolant system while pan is off and look for drips. If this is a SDP s/n engine, high blow by will show up with a crank case filter code and derates if bad enough.
just some ideas for ya, as info is slim, but hope this helps, keep us posted on out come. (KW tech for 10 years)

wrench23

Occupation
field service mechanic
hello sorry for the delay still learning how to use threads and i just posted the same thing i now have two trucks with the same problem pick up tubes are all ok and no oil in coolant when i pulled the injectors i looked for cracks in the head now im hearing of the transfer pump leaking in front cover like i said before it takes a week for problem to come back so whatever the leak is i has to be so small that the dye is not showing up if it were a crack i would thing it would be very obvious im using napa filters and last filter and oil change was week ago after i changed injector seals so i doubt it is clogged filter also when you pull dipstik the oil almost falls off its so thin

GOINGBROKE

Occupation
Diesel shop owner - truck, farm and heavy equipmen
Send in an oil sample, if changing the filter is what brings the oil pressure back up then the filter is plugging and the filter bypass is opening lowering the oil pressure. Had a E model doing the same thing was getting a small amount of coolant in the oil and plugging the filter dropping oil pressure. New filter would bring the pressure back up for a while until the new one plugged. Think it ended up being liner seals.

tctractors

A simple test for Diesel in the oil is to put some oil out of the sump useing the dip stick (oil level gauge) onto a piece of news paper or paper towel then set alight with a flame, if it flairs up burning hard it contains Diesel fuel, if it is only oil it will hardy be willing to burn, its just a help???
tctractors

tctractors

This has to be fuel getting into the oil system, an oil sample will sort it, it usualy takes about 20% diesel fuel dilution to bring on this oil pressure fault, get the pans stripped and check the crank bearings after you have replaced the faulty injector or fuel pump, the low oil pressure reading usualy show's up on climbing a good bank

wrench23

Occupation
field service mechanic
even bigger problems now

one truck back from cat replaced all 6 injectors now week later i have coolant in the oil doing the same thing in the morning i will be pulling the pan to check the liner seals and now i just heard about waterpump weaping hole clogging and leaking in case

wrench23

Occupation
field service mechanic
even bigger problems now

one truck back from cat replaced all 6 injectors now week later i have coolant in the oil doing the same thing in the morning i will be pulling the pan to check the liner seals and now i just heard about waterpump weaping hole clogging and leaking in case

wrench23

Occupation
field service mechanic
ok everyone sorry for the wait here is what happend the truck went in for state inspection at a vendor and while there vendor called office to inform of a coolant leak said it would be 100 dollars to fix operations manager said to do it without asking me or asking what it was anyway what their mechanic did was replaced the weap hole plug on water pump with a solid plug with no hole so there was the coolant in the oil total lack of experience and lack of supervision from vendor management