• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

buying used minio excavator, 8000-12000lb

cheathco

Occupation
sorta retired
Been shopping for one with adv in craigs list 4 places near fayetteville ar. Got caught in a scam last sat, but think I will be ok. bobcat 430 and 331 (pretty much same as I can find) has come up a few times, one of real interest but has 12 in bucket and no thumb. I have found both in new and used. Question is how difficult to get them here and installed? I have zero experience with them. I also had call on a Takeuchi tb 45 but havent seen it, nor pix.

maddog

Thumbs are easy to install IF you are a welder. You write you have zero experience with them(?) does "them" mean excavator or thumb/both?

cheathco

Occupation
sorta retired
Both, i have had, have backhoes, small dozers and track loaders. The 430 in pix shows an attachment hole in outer boom i guess for hydr cyl, but thumb connector has to be welded on?

pondo

No welding for thumb. Bobcat changes the main bucket pin to incorporate the thumb.
just cut nice cheque to local bobcat dealer approx $2000.
But if you are going to use a hammer or auger might want to upgrade to e32 with dual hydraulics.
Then u will also get hydraulic quick attach hitch....best money I ever spend! Change buckets from cab in seconds. ..not minutes pounding pins.

Last edited:

cheathco

Occupation
sorta retired
I looked at the comparison vids, Nice features. All I have seen on mach trader are out of my price range tho. cheapest thumb I have found was little over a grand, guess would be a weld on. Im hoping to find a nice machine with a thumb and 24" bucket.

pondo

U still don't have to weld. Just buy some parts . Welding could screw up stick and the value of machine.

Now for budget....mini ex do a huge amount of work for their size! But with everything being smaller...they wear out faster.

Ie new tracks are over $2k plus install time u or some one else. Last 1000 to 100 hrs

8000hrs on big ex maybe ok, but 4000hr on mini is pushing it.

Very quickly u could have a very lrg paper weight that's not worth fixing:(
Jmho.
Best wishes. Let us know what u do.

cheathco

Occupation
sorta retired
Ok, I will not be using it for any comml work, just aroumnd my land. I probably havent put 300 hrs on my 480c b-hoe in the 8 yrs I have had it. Ill poat on here when I have the little bugger.

maddog

Cheathco: are you stuck with just Bobcat or are you looking at all machines in the weight range? When buying used and on a budget I have found that "brand" has little to do with the purchase, and condition is what is important. I also like to learn the history of the machine if possible. I am very mechanically inclined and have no problems understanding the difference between abused and used.

cheathco

Occupation
sorta retired
No, I am looking at every brand in that catagory. I had an email about a Takeuchi that fit the need, but he backed off selling it, I have a Takeuchi TB45 which is heavier, , waiting to hear from seller. Initially travel;ed a long distance to look at a JD27D, But its too small. So far, response to my adv has been mostly Bcat