• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Buying an excavator soon would love your insight.

Re aux hydraulics, I’ve been very happy with Bobcat, both in flow and pressure. I run a 30” Eterra flail mower that works very well with the Bobcat hydraulics. No sure how other brands are set up, but on my e42 the first hyd circuit controls the thumb and boom swing with a selectable toggle switch on the LH console and the operation switch on LH joystick. The second hyd circuit ran the extendible arm thru aux connections. To run my mower I had to manually pin the arm retracted, unhook the arm hydraulics and attach the mower. Three different flow rates were available via the control screen. Momentary and continuous flow switches were on RH joystick. My mower has saddle grapple teeth that line up with my thumb so obviously want both circuits to be active.

My e50 and I assume all R4 excavators has an arm mounted diverter valve to route flow to either the thumb or aux hyd connections. With my mower setup, I wanted both the mower and thumb active so I ordered an additional hyd circuit. So I have thumb and boom control on LH joystick with a selection switch to go back and forth right on the joystick. Nice improvement from the e42. I have momentary and continuous control for the second hydraulic circuit on the RH joystick and there is extensive setup for flow in the touch screen. You can now fine tune hydraulic parameters and save them per attachment via the touch screen. Just pick the attachment you’re using from the menu and all the settings are already there. Very nice. The diverter valve is still on the machine so if I ever have an attachment that needs 2 hyd circuits, I’m all set.
If you wouldn’t mind sharing what did the E50 run price wise setup like yours?

I have the Yanmar VIO55a I didn't like the zero tail swing at first coming out of a Cat 320 the cab seemed cramped and it like your setting up to high. I have gotten use to the cab and its not to bad. If your used to a full size machine I guess all the mini's are going to take some getting use to. The zero tail swing has came in quite handy several times. As far as the aux hydraulics on the Yanmar for running a brush cutter you will not like them. The factory turns down the pressure from around 3k psi to maybe 1800psi to keep from bending the thumb cylinder. You can change it but it requires removing the floor pan and manually turning up the pressure. Not something you want to do every time you hook up to the mower. I have talked to Yanmar about this several times. They said they were coming out with dedicated circuit for the aux hydraulics on the new machines. Not sure if the 2020 have this yet or not. This is my biggest complaint on my Yanmar. Other than that I love it. I have a RUT brush cutter and I use it. It's just not going to operate as intended. I really like the angle blade. Comes in handy. I run a 18" 24" 36" digging buckets and a 48" tilting grading bucket. I have a ripper I use for stumping. Not sure about the difference between the 50 and the 55 but I believe the 55 just has a turbo. It's quite a load with a few extra buckets on the trailer.
I use a 10 Ton trailer and pull with a single axle dump truck.
Which Rut brush cutter do you have, been debating theirs or a flail? Thanks

suladas

Looking at the specs of the E42 long arm sure are impressive compared to my Takeuchi TB153FR. More digging force, hp, bigger fuel tank, and weights about 3,000lbs less. I'm guessing a fair amount of the lower weight is due to the side to side boom on the 153, it's not a light setup. It gives up 5 gpm aux flow, about a foot of reach and digging depth but that's pretty small. I do wonder though even if you factor in the boom weight difference, that's still like 2,000lbs less weight, it would have to be more tippy I wonder if it performs the way the specs say and would be capable of out digging the 153. I never looked at the counterweight swing, but being 6" narrow track stance i'm guessing the counter weight swing is same as the 153. If I was going to replace my mini ex i'd definitely be going down in size to something like that. Loosing 3,000lbs make it easy to haul with CTL behind a pickup which I can't do now. But it only has 4500 hours on it and I plan to keep it for a long long time yet.

McQueen

It the 2020 models have the 2nd aux hydraulics!
You'll be good to go! I wasn't sure when they were going to have it in production. That would be a game changer for sure.
The teck I talked to said it was going to be for higher flow attachments, like mowers and mulching heads.

McQueen

Which Rut brush cutter do you have, been debating theirs or a flail? Thanks
I got the standard cutter I believe it's 36" It was around $2700 The pictures on there website shows it to have a gear box, but they are direct drive now.
Build quality is good. For the price I don't think you can beat them!

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Looking at the specs of the E42 long arm sure are impressive compared to my Takeuchi TB153FR. More digging force, hp, bigger fuel tank, and weights about 3,000lbs less. I'm guessing a fair amount of the lower weight is due to the side to side boom on the 153, it's not a light setup. It gives up 5 gpm aux flow, about a foot of reach and digging depth but that's pretty small. I do wonder though even if you factor in the boom weight difference, that's still like 2,000lbs less weight, it would have to be more tippy I wonder if it performs the way the specs say and would be capable of out digging the 153. I never looked at the counterweight swing, but being 6" narrow track stance i'm guessing the counter weight swing is same as the 153. If I was going to replace my mini ex i'd definitely be going down in size to something like that. Loosing 3,000lbs make it easy to haul with CTL behind a pickup which I can't do now. But it only has 4500 hours on it and I plan to keep it for a long long time yet.

The specs on the new Takeuchi 257 which is the replacement for the 153, specs better. I honestly don't see how the BC E42 can lift that much. The 153 has a much closer to center of gravity design than does any typical swing boom mini ex. I have never seen a swing boom of equal size out lift a 153. I would be really surprised if a lighter swing boom machine could out lift it. I know it says it can, I just would have to see it to believe it.

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
Have you weighted what it's lifted? Find it really hard to believe a 4 ton machine can lift 4500lbs. My 6 ton with bucket on can lift 3200lbs at the very most.
Answering two questions here - the thumb has never been in the way when digging. The 4500 pound lift capacity is right out my E42 manual for the standard arm with counterweight, I don't remember the exact distances. My E42 operating weight is right around 5 tons.

suladas

The specs on the new Takeuchi 257 which is the replacement for the 153, specs better. I honestly don't see how the BC E42 can lift that much. The 153 has a much closer to center of gravity design than does any typical swing boom mini ex. I have never seen a swing boom of equal size out lift a 153. I would be really surprised if a lighter swing boom machine could out lift it. I know it says it can, I just would have to see it to believe it.

Yea I don't get how the specs are possible. The hydraulics on my machine are not weak, the limiting factor on most things is tipping, it has no problem tipping the machine picking up something heavy over the front if the blade isn't down. I don't see how weighing 3000lbs less you would have any chance of even picking up the same weight unless you had that counterweight out another 1' or 2' which it doesn't. I've only ran 8 ton machines, or a bobcat E24 so no comparison.

The Tak TB250-2 has more lift capacity than the E42 by a little and around the same weight. I’ve not got to try the E42 to grab a full bucket and sling it around yet, but the ride was much smoother and more stable than the E35’s I’ve ran.

Don.S

We had a deere 35D that i put almost 4000 hours on and i loved that machine. It had the long stick and the extra counter weight. My boss sold it this spring and picked up a kubota u55-4 and i absolutely hate the machine. I find the 5.5 ton class silly. I dont think the reach is even a foot more then the 35. We also have a takeuchi tb180fr and i will take that pretty muchanywhere the 55 will go and it will do a much faster. I find the 55 is just kind of a funny in between size.

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
The Tak TB250-2 has more lift capacity than the E42 by a little and around the same weight. I’ve not got to try the E42 to grab a full bucket and sling it around yet, but the ride was much smoother and more stable than the E35’s I’ve ran.
You need to compare apples to apples when looking at breakout, lift, etc. In my E42 manual there's several charts listing specs for various machine combinations - long arm, standard arm with/without counterweight, long arm with/without counterweight, lift capacity with blade down, lifting over the side with and without counterweight, lifting fully extended etc., etc.

You need to compare apples to apples when looking at breakout, lift, etc. In my E42 manual there's several charts listing specs for various machine combinations - long arm, standard arm with/without counterweight, long arm with/without counterweight, lift capacity with blade down, lifting over the side with and without counterweight, lifting fully extended etc., etc.
I’ve been comparing every apple out there lol... lift capacity is just one small piece of the apple pie. There are things I like about each, right now I’m leaning more towards the E42, because of the dealer support I know I’ll get. My best friend bought an E-35 and Track Loader and they have treated him great! Vermeer has been really responsive with quotes and questions about the Yanmar but when it comes to service when something goes wrong I kind of figure I’d be very low on the priority list with all of the mine companies, large construction companies etc... I could be wrong though?

Don.S

Honestly i would be looking much more at cycle times, bucket force, reach and digging depth then what it can lift. Its a excavator its made for digging and moving dirt its not a crane. My biggest deciding factor would be how comfortable i felt in the cab since i spend thousands of hours in that seat.

Honestly i would be looking much more at cycle times, bucket force, reach and digging depth then what it can lift. Its a excavator its made for digging and moving dirt its not a crane. My biggest deciding factor would be how comfortable i felt in the cab since i spend thousands of hours in that seat.
Agreed, cab comfort is very high on the list, breakout, reach, depth etc are all important to me, I’d like for this to be the most thought out purchase I’ve made! It’s a lot of money and I’d really like to get it right the first time!

Don.S

Thats exacly how i feel about it but numbers and just numbers. Demo the machines or even rent them if need be amd spend some hours in the seat. Something can look great on paper but when you figure out your favorite coffe mug does not fit in the cup holder or that your knees hurt after all day because the seat is too low or something stupid those numbers dont look so good anymore.

Thats exacly how i feel about it but numbers and just numbers. Demo the machines or even rent them if need be amd spend some hours in the seat. Something can look great on paper but when you figure out your favorite coffe mug does not fit in the cup holder or that your knees hurt after all day because the seat is too low or something stupid those numbers dont look so good anymore.
I can guarantee I will spend time in them before I buy, but the only way I’ll get to try the yanmar would be if I have the dealership find one for me to demo, I’d really hate to have them bring in multiple models for me to choose Bobcat or Takeuchi lol. Specs just narrow the list by ruling out ones that I don’t think will fit my needs. And I’ve learned enough the hard way that when I don’t know something I ask those who do, and there is none better to get a feel of equipment than the guys that sit in them every day. I appreciate everyone’s insight!

Don.S

Get them to bring them for you to try. Its part of the game. If they want your money make them work for it. Companies spend hours of time making quotes for jobs and dont get the job its the same thing when you demo a machine. Its the name of the game.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I agree lift capacity isn't the only factor, but it is a big one for a lot owners. Mini excavators are used for a lot of different things and the more it can lift, the more you can use it. Setting concrete drains, man holes, and so forth are important because if you do these things, that means lesser chance of having to mob something bigger in to do those jobs. I am all about bucket breakout and reach, both hugely important, but lift capacity is right there as well.

I also agree not to buy strictly off a spec sheet for a ton reasons. One example is some of those breakout forces are generated using a bucket you would never likely use to dig but generate good breakout numbers due to a very tight tip radius. So like Don.S states demoing the machine is really important in getting an overall idea of how a machine runs. However at the end of the day, it is up to the buyer to base the decision on what factors mean the most. If the machine can lift a lot, huge proven breakout but the radio location sucks, you have to decide what carries the day. There are a huge number of OEM's all with positives and negatives in their machines. The buyer has to make the informed buying decision on what aspects mean the most to the company using it.

suladas

I agree lift capacity isn't the only factor, but it is a big one for a lot owners. Mini excavators are used for a lot of different things and the more it can lift, the more you can use it. Setting concrete drains, man holes, and so forth are important because if you do these things, that means lesser chance of having to mob something bigger in to do those jobs. I am all about bucket breakout and reach, both hugely important, but lift capacity is right there as well.

I also agree not to buy strictly off a spec sheet for a ton reasons. One example is some of those breakout forces are generated using a bucket you would never likely use to dig but generate good breakout numbers due to a very tight tip radius. So like Don.S states demoing the machine is really important in getting an overall idea of how a machine runs. However at the end of the day, it is up to the buyer to base the decision on what factors mean the most. If the machine can lift a lot, huge proven breakout but the radio location sucks, you have to decide what carries the day. There are a huge number of OEM's all with positives and negatives in their machines. The buyer has to make the informed buying decision on what aspects mean the most to the company using it.

Totally agree and exactly the case for me just before christmas, I was able to set 2 manholes with my 153, had the machine been a tiny bit smaller I would have had to bring the 210 in which is a lot of extra time. The spec sheet is also deceiving, the heaviest parts were about 2500lbs it's at the machines limit to set it and be able to pick it back out of the hole if you need to reposition.

I wonder how many employees say the creature comforts are top priority, whereas the people paying for it are about the productivity? My 153 doesn't have the best creature comforts, but it gets the job done extremely well. I just replaced the radio with one that works properly after almost 6 years. Kids these days getting too soft!

skyking1

Get them to bring them for you to try. Its part of the game. If they want your money make them work for it. Companies spend hours of time making quotes for jobs and dont get the job its the same thing when you demo a machine. Its the name of the game.
This is good advice. If you have not tried them you really won't know much.