• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Buying a Backhoe

Bob t

Occupation
Retired
I am a new member looking for a used backhoe, would like to get one for less than 18k. All this information is very interesting and informative. Worked at a Cat Plant in NC for 11 years assembling wheel loaders and did some rework on new backhoes. Retired in 2001 like cat equipment but it is very expensive in comparising to the other makes. I would like to use it to remove a hill to level off an acre lot then build a garage/shop not sure if I would need a e-stick or 4x4 It will be used in Maine near Bangor, would like the 4 in 1 bucket to deal with brush and trees. Any recomendations to what machine might match my needs. Saw a jd 310d standard stick and bucket 4x4 7000 hours for less the 12k ???

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Go check it out and let us know how everything works and what kind of condition it's in.

Bob t

Occupation
Retired
Tried calling 3x today get answering machine, left messages but have not heard back. I will try calling saturday maybe some one will answer. Could they be wintering in Florida ???

cat320

Charter Member
I am a new member looking for a used backhoe, would like to get one for less than 18k. All this information is very interesting and informative. Worked at a Cat Plant in NC for 11 years assembling wheel loaders and did some rework on new backhoes. Retired in 2001 like cat equipment but it is very expensive in comparising to the other makes. I would like to use it to remove a hill to level off an acre lot then build a garage/shop not sure if I would need a e-stick or 4x4 It will be used in Maine near Bangor, would like the 4 in 1 bucket to deal with brush and trees. Any recomendations to what machine might match my needs. Saw a jd 310d standard stick and bucket 4x4 7000 hours for less the 12k ???

look in the machinery trader you can see all brands that are close to you . I think e-hoe and 4x4 would be a definate i don't know what i did for so many years with out the 2 a 4 n 1 would be nice too.

dblaneyfan

What is the general feeling out there about JCB 214's? We have three at my job. After running some a 214e and a 416, I believe I prefer the JCB over the Cat (and I hate to say that as we run Cat dozer's exclusively). I haven't had to work on a JCB backhoe, so I might change my mind in the future...

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
What is the general feeling out there about JCB 214's? We have three at my job. After running some a 214e and a 416, I believe I prefer the JCB over the Cat (and I hate to say that as we run Cat dozer's exclusively). I haven't had to work on a JCB backhoe, so I might change my mind in the future...

I bought a 99 JCB 214 about 4-5 months ago, I've put about 110 hours on it. So far I'm very happy with it.

Bob t

Occupation
Retired
I don't know much about running backhoes, especially the difference between each machinebut I do know the quality on cats are very good and that is probrably reflected in the cost of used Cat backhoes which I could not afford or justify for my own personal use.