• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

building new house

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
Pete, I am wondering why do you need the piers as well as the slab?

Rn'R.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
RnR, those weird mob over there have this funny stuff called "clay"...I know its hard to believe but they have to put piers under the slab in way of the load bearing walls.:cool2:cool:

I thought that may have been the reason, it just seemed to me to be a bit of overkill for a prefrabricated house, mind you, I only base that on what happens here, it is very rare that piers are used under a concrete slab.

Rn'R.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
I thought that may have been the reason, it just seemed to me to be a bit of overkill for a prefrabricated house, mind you, I only base that on what happens here, it is very rare that piers are used under a concrete slab.

Rn'R.

RnR, you and squizzy are both correct. if you build a normal house on a slab here it needs piers as the clay expands and contracts depending on the amount of moisture. with my house you dont need a slab, the normally build brick piers on the concrete piers and put the house on those brick piers, i wanted the slab just so it is clean and tidy under the house. i did not want just dirt under the house.

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
rain

Glad to see yer making progress Pete. I know what you mean about the rain. I doubt I'll get my garden out this year because of it and needing to get other things done when it's dry. But it's better to have it than not.

very true. Ironically were have a nice thunderstorm building this minute. :D Clay isn't terrible to work with we have three types here red, yellow and blue. the blue is rough to stand on if it's wet. somewhere I have some pics of me and some freinds skiing behind the quad on 2x6's on some nice blue clay.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
very true. Ironically were have a nice thunderstorm building this minute. :D Clay isn't terrible to work with we have three types here red, yellow and blue. the blue is rough to stand on if it's wet. somewhere I have some pics of me and some freinds skiing behind the quad on 2x6's on some nice blue clay.

we dont have blue clay here, we do have blue shale which i guess could be described as a soft rock, must be similar to clay, they make bricks with it. i rode through kentucky in 2003 on my harley, nice country side.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
builder now has piers in place, we have moved more dirt, if we have no rain for a week or so house should be in place. fingers crossed.

Attachments

• P1040461.jpg
    P1040461.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 456
  • P1040462.jpg
    P1040462.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 462

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
some action in the house building dept.

Attachments

• P1040477.jpg
    P1040477.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 425
  • P1040478.jpg
    P1040478.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 423
  • P1040479.jpg
    P1040479.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 416
  • P1040484.jpg
    P1040484.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 438
  • P1040481.jpg
    P1040481.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 429

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
more house pics

Attachments

• P1040488.jpg
    P1040488.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 466
  • P1040490.jpg
    P1040490.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 458
  • P1040492.jpg
    P1040492.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 454
  • P1040493.jpg
    P1040493.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 453
  • P1040494.jpg
    P1040494.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 467

special tool

I've got a question for you.
I am primarily a foundation contractor, but I don't understand why you use a full slab if the structure is to remain elevated.
The reason for the piers is obvious, but not the slab.

Do they skirt around the perimeter and use this low space for mechanicals??

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I am primarily a foundation contractor, but I don't understand why you use a full slab if the structure is to remain elevated.

RnR, you and squizzy are both correct. if you build a normal house on a slab here it needs piers as the clay expands and contracts depending on the amount of moisture. with my house you dont need a slab, the normally build brick piers on the concrete piers and put the house on those brick piers, i wanted the slab just so it is clean and tidy under the house. i did not want just dirt under the house.

Pay attention ST...there will be 20 questions when Pete finishes his house:cool2:rolleyes:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Pete the house looks great, I know you will be happy to get out of the shoe box.:) Of course we need some pics of the finished product.

Just curious, from the time they get the components set, how many days until you move in? That big front porch looks like a great place to have a frosty beverage and wind the day down.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.

Do they skirt around the perimeter and use this low space for mechanicals??
the only reason for the slab is so i dont have dirt under the house, it will be cleaner and less likely for vermin to live there, i can also hose it occasionally to keep it clean under there.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
Pete the house looks great, I know you will be happy to get out of the shoe box.:) Of course we need some pics of the finished product.

Just curious, from the time they get the components set, how many days until you move in? That big front porch looks like a great place to have a frosty beverage and wind the day down.
they delivered 2 quarters one day and craned them in to place, delivered the next 2 quarters the next ady and craned them in to place, a couple of guys then spent 2 days sealing and painting the joins and it is finished, if i had power and water connected i could move straight in.it is amazing how quickly it can be put in place and finished..

mouse

Occupation
(wishfully) avoiding work as much as possible
I like the dogmen's safety boots and hardhat too Pete:rolleyes:

at least they were careful to make sure their faces were hidden...

interesting. do you have something against dirt pete? me suspects you'll end up with the same problem just it'll take longer to happen.