• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Building a good burn pile

Delmer

wrwtexan, are you saying that it had to be burned before ten days? or just that they were able to do it?

I've never seen fresh trees successfully burned, but it doesn't take that much to do it. I'm sure they piled them carefully and probably found some dead stuff to get the fire going with. Once you get a fire burning hot the wet wood burns fine, it's just so tough to get a big pile to start. Packing it tightly together, and concentrating the heat in a trench helps a lot. A "squirrel cage" furnace blower hooked to piece of ductwork that's crimped down to a nozzle at the end works wonders to make a small hot fire into a big hot fire, if you have power available.

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
Seven to ten days after grubbing is the window. Before was too green, as was after which then needs time to dry. I can only assume the sap forms some kind of volatile during this time. This was nearly all live timber torn out and piled with a trackhoe. No air blower was used. Pour some fuel on it to get it started then let it go. I have heard this time frame from other locals but didn't believe it would work until I saw it.

Delmer

I'm with you, I can't believe it. That 12 days is too long that is, if they know how to stack it, it should burn.