• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Building a custom excavator

Batkom

Coastal, I was looking over your thread again and realized you had removed the stock single top roller and put two on top- and used bottom style track rollers.
What are the advantages of the double roller setup on this size machine?
Certainly is a much more robust looking set up!

Coastal

Coastal, I was looking over your thread again and realized you had removed the stock single top roller and put two on top- and used bottom style track rollers.
What are the advantages of the double roller setup on this size machine?
Certainly is a much more robust looking set up!
Well, it looks cooler, and it supposedly makes it easier for sticks and debris to fall out rather than getting packed between the track frame and the track by making a bigger void.

Coastal

enTTkuc.jpg
Trying out some bolt on rakes for my power grapple. They work pretty good but are a bit too wide, I've since chopped off the outer tines.

xY8MBOS

Batkom

Well, it looks cooler, and it supposedly makes it easier for sticks and debris to fall out rather than getting packed between the track frame and the track by making a bigger void.
It does look good, but I also like how it gets the track up. Seems it would be easier to clean out under it.
Currently on mine with the single roller, it’s a bit of a pain getting the shovel in there when it’s really full of mud.
May have to do this when I get it back in the shop this winter.

Batkom

I really want that power grapple as well!! Have a bunch of down timber cleanup to do in the woods on my property- that power grapple would sure make it go smoother!

Coastal

I really want that power grapple as well!! Have a bunch of down timber cleanup to do in the woods on my property- that power grapple would sure make it go smoother!

It's a wonderful tool, I honestly don't think I'll ever put my thumb back on, it seems so archaic in comparison.

Batkom

That 1st pic is exactly what my property looks like.
After every winter there is more to clean up.
Bucket n thumb work, but it’s awkward to maneuver thru the stuff you don’t want to damage.

Coastal

That 1st pic is exactly what my property looks like.
After every winter there is more to clean up.
Bucket n thumb work, but it’s awkward to maneuver thru the stuff you don’t want to damage.

Ya the bucket and thumb gets frustrating after a while!

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
You really have demonstrated how a properly equipped small excavator can be the swiss army knife of tools. well done.

Coastal

Today I took the rotator off my original tilt rotator that I didn't like and mounted it to my wood splitter... The original wood splitter worked but was kind of clumsy. This is going to work out well once I get the hang of it and proper length hoses.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
My neighbor had a NT 3 point splitter where the wedge moved back and forth with a foot on each end so it'd split both directions, seems like that might work well on an excavator

Coastal

My neighbor had a NT 3 point splitter where the wedge moved back and forth with a foot on each end so it'd split both directions, seems like that might work well on an excavator

Ya that'd be a good style of splitter for sure saves a bit on cycle times