• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bucyrus Erie collection

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
I have lived near Erie Pa my whole life, and have driven past the B-E plant every day for around 40 years.
If you look on Google earth, Weschler avenue is just west of the final assembly area, and was always kept
as a brick street, until years after they closed down.
https://goo.gl/maps/g5pNLvuC8PrV8E3B7
The tire store and other buildings are where B-E would exercise the new shovels, they had about 9-12
on a large pile in there working.
The NE corner of 12th & weschler is a ramp, they would walk the machines down it, down weschler
to the pile, hence the city not paving it.
https://goo.gl/maps/RqjEqV47ktEkCFZa9

Tugger2

Im doing pretty well ,i think. Certainly do have time to visit these days im not allowed to do anything else . Come on up and have a tour . seems all my retired buddies take pity on me and visit a lot more which is good

mitch504

My brother-in-law had two 22-Bs working, a 10-B conversation piece, a 30-B in the shop being restored to working condition, and a couple of parts machines. He also had a bunch of older farm tractors and equipment in use and not. The week he died, my sister called in the scrapper. She refused to discuss selling anything to anybody who wanted individual machines, including 2 early '90s pickups in daily use.

skyking1

Im doing pretty well ,i think. Certainly do have time to visit these days im not allowed to do anything else . Come on up and have a tour . seems all my retired buddies take pity on me and visit a lot more which is good
I can make it a combination visit of my brother in North Vancouver and you. I don't know where you're at but we can figure that out.

Tugger2

I hope the scrapper had a heart for old machines. I have got some real prizes from the scrap yard ,saved the scrappers some cutting and put a good profit in their pockets.
They had 2 D8 s both in good running order. I should have taken both. Took one used it on a job and sold it after . The D6 9u i had known about for years one owner ,died and the family called the scapper,who in turn knew of my addiction to old junk. gave him 4500.00 . it was just serviced ,new steering clutches and otherwise in excelent shape.P1010046.JPG Feb 2012 181.jpg

Tugger2

I can make it a combination visit of my brother in North Vancouver and you. I don't know where you're at but we can figure that out.
Im in downtown Coombs . If you have heard of the Coombs market im just down the road . The only thing is id feel bad about you having to take the ferry to Nanaimo. BC ferries are a gong show now . 0 reliablity !! If you were just coming to the Island id say take the Anacortes or the Black Ball at least they are dependable

skyking1

that 6 is nice. A guy could make some money just parking it on a dump site and going by to knock down the fill from time to time.
A ferry ride is not a thing at all. I will have to re-think this a bit. My wife will now want to go :)
We can come across on the Black Ball out of Port Angeles and then go across on the BC ferries, unless my brother wants to get away and meet us over there. That would be efficient as he would go as a foot passenger.

Last edited:

mitch504

Nope, cut booms off and smashed everything down small as possible before loading it, including the pickups. Didn't even take the tags off the trucks, but he did pay the fines for her not having tags to turn in.

Tugger2

Funny how they would do that. Ive alway been happy to pay double the going rate on scrap for good finds. The outfit i got these from was the biggest in BC ,they saw it as good profit. They also ran a good sales yard for steel . Yards now seem bent on destruction.

skyking1

here are a couple of booms getting cut off Bucyrus Erie draglines near me.
I used to take people around those booms on sightseeing flights.

Tugger2

I hate seeing destruction of good stuff but have to admit it looks like fun.
Send me a PM when your thinking of coming over here , ill you my number. Cant guarantee the royal tour in my present state but would be good to show you the junk and have a coffee n some bs.

skyking1

I hate seeing destruction of good stuff but have to admit it looks like fun.
Send me a PM when your thinking of coming over here , ill you my number. Cant guarantee the royal tour in my present state but would be good to show you the junk and have a coffee n some bs.
It will be a while, what with how my sister is doing. You'll be good as new by then :)

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Tugger I hope to get your way after the New Year, as I still have a bunch of reading material for you I have not forgot.