• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bucketwheel #4

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
As a "life of the mine" type of asset how did this machine end up parked and rusting? Mine closed? That's a lot of money rotting away. I do like to see that big stuff though. There are some really monstrous bucket wheels in Germany's brown coal mines.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
As a "life of the mine" type of asset how did this machine end up parked and rusting? Mine closed? That's a lot of money rotting away. I do like to see that big stuff though. There are some really monstrous bucket wheels in Germany's brown coal mines.

The story I heard was it simply cost too much in upkeep to keep in running. The mine is still in operation but currently utilizes P&H 4100 and Bucyrus 495HF electric shovels and ultra-class haul trucks.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Here is Discovery, the walking dragline mentioned on the plaque in the first post. Quite a massive machine. You can just see part of the conveyors of the bucketwheel under the dragline's boom.

20180503_123802.jpg

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
The story I heard was it simply cost too much in upkeep to keep in running. The mine is still in operation but currently utilizes P&H 4100 and Bucyrus 495HF electric shovels and ultra-class haul trucks.
I guess I can understand that. Still... that's a lot of iron just hanging around.
The dragline is really impressive too. I would love to be able to tour the inside of those two machines.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Unfortunately they are both fenced off from the public. I'd love to take the catwalk up to the end of the boom just to say I did it.

crane operator

Got a extra $4 million laying around? If you do and are close to Twilight, West Virginia, you can have just a little smaller version.

Don't know why, but it says it "must be removed from central appalachia", Why wouldn't they want to move it somewhere close and keep it in use?-

Marion 8050 walking dragline:

"The item must be removed from Central Appalachia. ( WV, Va, TN & Ky). Also Buyer is responsible for not only tear down, loadout and applicable hauling fees but any fees required by the EPA for cleanup, environmental & safety compliance of the location. Basically all fees incurred real or otherwise"

http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/ite...um=referral&utm_campaign=syndication&src=mktg

marion 8050 1.jpg marion 8050 2.jpg marion 8050 3.jpg marion 8050 4.jpg

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Now that I think about it there's quite a bit of cool old iron laying around here. Might have to go and snap some photos of some of it one of these days.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Got a extra $4 million laying around? If you do and are close to Twilight, West Virginia, you can have just a little smaller version.

Don't know why, but it says it "must be removed from central appalachia", Why wouldn't they want to move it somewhere close and keep it in use?

Marion 8050 walking dragline:

"The item must be removed from Central Appalachia. ( WV, Va, TN & Ky). Also Buyer is responsible for not only tear down, loadout and applicable hauling fees but any fees required by the EPA for cleanup, environmental & safety compliance of the location. Basically all fees incurred real or otherwise"

http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/ite...um=referral&utm_campaign=syndication&src=mktg

View attachment 180916 View attachment 180917 View attachment 180918 View attachment 180919
Somehow, I bet the $4M is the cheap part of this deal....

Truck Shop

Cost more to tear down and move than it's worth in scrap price probably.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Cost more to tear down and move than it's worth in scrap price probably.

Truck Shop

The last Lampson Transi-Lift move I heard about was 44 truckloads and a nearly complete unit train of flat cars... Not cheap for one lift. That was only a 1500 ton machine I think.

newdanr

Thanks for posting! I saw those when I visited a friend in Fort Mac in 2006. Actually went there on vacation!

I love it when companies place more value on preserving machines than whatever pittance they would get for scrapping.

danr